Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stalker Pvp

gell

Time for all pvp haters and mods to rage.

But first, let me explain.

Premise:

The player should have the option to hunt other players. This mode would be limited in a few ways, but add an interesting element to the stalker of whom DE never speaks.

Execution:

The player must get some form of token/key to become a stalker, and it's good for one use. The player is placed into matchmaking where they are randomly added to someone else's game, whether public or private (but not solo). You, the stalker player, are given a target to kill, and that target is highlighted for you. You could even have a stalking message selected from a pool of messages (in order to keep the feel of the universe, we can't allow anyone to type anything). You get to move around like a ghost (imagine Left 4 Dead when you are trying to spawn as Infected). You move around until you find a good spot to spawn. You have up to 60 seconds to decide where to spawn, and during that time, the other players' screen will flicker as it does now when the Stalker is near. After 60 seconds, or you choose where to spawn, which must be relatively near other players but not right next to them, you will then appear in the world and get a grace period as you spawn (like how the current stalker is).

The player(s) fight the stalker till the stalker dies, or the target is killed, whichever comes first. In this mode, if the stalker is killed, he doesn't just kneel and teleport away; he dies. This will give the player more satisfaction for defeating the stalker.

Rewards:

If the stalker kills the target, the stalker player gets some reward (another stalker key?), and perhaps stealing all the player's credits/items he earned during that mission so far. He should also get some sort of tally on his mastery record. It would also be interesting if the stalker had some animated taunts to choose to perform, sort of like a Fatality. This would be his signature style, like taunting in TF2 after a nice kill. Stalking players is a reward in itself, so it doesn't need amazing awards, but it could add to some pool that unlocks something cool for the stalker later (note this only unlocks for the stalker to use as a stalker, as to not feel like an exclusive item unobtainable by players who wish to never play as a stalker).

If the target defeats the stalker, he should get a chance of stalker weapon blueprints, a stalker key, and maybe some credits. He also can't be stalked again until the daily reset, whether he wins or loses.

Limitations:

The stalker player should be the one challenged. His job is basically a troll, so he should have the disadvantage. He should be limited to only 2 weapons of choice and a special 30 energy loadout, even if he's potatoed his frame. Polarized slots are still in effect, though, so the loss of energy can be somewhat mitigated by using forma. The stalker loadout is a unique page where the player may place any frame, with its own set of mods.

For the target player, aka all the other players in the game who aren't playing as a stalker at the moment, including people who may have stalker frames but aren't using them, they have an option to never be attacked by a stalker. I understand not everyone wants any form of pvp, and that's fine. Those players can opt out of pvp and will never be attacked by a stalker player (doesn't affect the AI stalker). For those who do want to be attacked by stalkers, those players will be rewarded nicely for defeating a stalker, at the risk of losing what they've gained so far in a mission. Players who opted out can still party up with other friends who opt in, but they won't receive rewards from aiding in the defeat of a stalker player.

Reference:

Dark Souls was mostly a single player game, but one very interesting aspect was that players could invade other players' worlds and basically stalk them, in order to kill them and get currency. The balance here was that the target player chose to enter certain areas, like an enchanted forest, knowing it had better rewards, but at the risk of being attacked by another player who had them as a contracted hit. It was a very neat mode and allowed a form of very tense pvp, while allowing players who opted not to play pvp the option of never doing so; they never had to enter the enchanted forest.

I think this falls outside of anything DE has said in a live stream or in the FAQ. It's technically pvp, but it's not some stupid CTF or deathmatch mode with 32 ninjas jumping on each other. I think it's a mode that would take a bit of work, but not too much, and it would add a lot to the game in terms of being able to use your warframe, with your weapons, in a sneaky pvp setting. I also think this can fit in to the lore pretty easily, as opposed to explaining why there are a ton of Tenno fighting each other.

Thanks for reading.

TL;DR

Playing as a stalker opens up new possibilities for fun, risk, and rewards, while players who wish to never touch pvp are given the option not to, and they don't lose out on any weapons/items that would otherwise affect their game.

was suggested before try searching it up

I've read quite a few of those. I didn't like the idea of being a stalker faction, or unavoidable pvp. There are even uninformed players who think that Dark Souls had unavoidable pvp when it was a conscious decision to go into an area where you might be attacked, and it was 100% avoidable. So I find it hard to take feedback from people who were wholly misinformed but continue to debate topics they know little or nothing about.

I posted this because after months of thinking someone would post this, no one did. The threads that suggest that stalker be controlled by another player are all thinking the player plays some separate stalker frame with its own set of abilities and don't make much sense in terms of how you might level that up or what it means in the lore to have yet another faction.

So no, there haven't been any threads about this, so they haven't been declined. Even if you could argue this idea is 90% similar to others, I think the key differences set it apart, and work better in the current game than anything else posted so far.

Even with a limited 30 energy pool it would boil down to the stalker winning every time if they are trinity, or a majority of the time if they are loki because of the abilities that those frames have. In short it would be nearly impossible for the stalker to lose unless you prevent it from taking any frame abilities with it.

Even then some of the weapons available to the player would be too powerful to allow the stalker to have. Try raking on a frame with a maxed out heck and despair....