The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Good Secondaries?

Demogarose

Question

My personal choices are aksomati if you like machine pistols, angstrum of you like explosions but you have to be careful with it it's easy to kill yourself, lex prime of you like a single pistol with high dmg, gammacor if you like lasers, sonicor if you like a lot of cc and enemies fling everywhere, pyrana if you like shotgun pistols and slicing enemies to little pieces, and the akbolto of you like pining enemies to the walls
NOTE these aren't the strongest weapons in game but i find them really fun depending on what i want to do to my enemies  

I made a rather comprehensive listing of the best secondary weapons on Reddit here.

Repost here:

Some categories:

Anti-crowd (safe): Atomos is probably the best here. Handcannons like Brakk and Kohmak are nice too though.

Anti-crowd (explosive): Kulstar is the best currently. Sancti Castanas and Talons are safer, lower damage options though. Also worth noting that Hikou (Prime) with Concealed Explosives can clear midlevel places really efficiently. Falls off kinda hard though (but Mirage can give it CPR). All these risk self-damage, of course.

Single-target (long-range): Vaykor Marelok, Rakta Ballistica or Lex Prime. Rakta does the most damage but has a projectile. It's silent too. Lex does second most damage and is hitscan. Vaykor does the least damage but also has a syndi proc and is hitscan. All 3 are great. Ballistica has extra versatility from the splinterfire though. Worth noting that Rakta syndi proc restores energy and does Viral (good for damage) while Vaykor restores health and does Blast (good for CC).

Status: Tysis has the best single-target status. Best gun for stacking Corrosive procs in this game; removes armor from level 100 enemies in under a second. Akbronco Prime loads longer but also delivers an insane amount of status in a second and has a large AOE effect; good for stacking Corrosive or CCing a large group of enemies. Finally, Embolist has built-in toxin proc and Ignis-style AOE so it has its uses (e.g. for Saryn to proc both, Toxin and Viral with one weapon). The sheer amount of procs it produces is not in the same world as Tysis/Akbronco Prime though.

Sustained DPS (short range): Brakk and Synoid Gammacor are kings here. Aksomati and Twin Grakatas come somewhat behind but work at longer ranges. Lex Prime, Rakta Ballistica and Vaykor Marelok hit decent numbers too, though up close they're nowhere near Brakk/Synoid Gammacor numbers.

Generalist: Aksomati or Twin Grakatas. Twin Grakatas are strong but have real ammo issues; you have to use them with Primed Pistol Mutation and even with that, it can be a thing. This costs you a modslot. Sadly this makes it hard to fit a combination element. Aksomati are more ammo efficient but have far less ammo. They have some ammo problems but overall, are still a Soma Prime-calibre weapon (they do more damage now with the Primed pistol mods if using a Heat-based damage).

Awesome: Sonicor is a great weapon for CCing enemies and doing AOE damage. The damage is somewhat low comparatively (enough for level ~60 enemies) but it's certainly the most awesome of this bunch, and useful for space programs.

Healgun: Furis is the only ranged weapon in the game that can be used to directly lifesteal (with its syndicate mod). At no costs, this is a rather unique effect and certainly one worth having around!

Edited by Gilalar

- Vaykor Marelok (very high damage + syndicate proc)

- AkMagnus (high status + crit and high fire rate while still being decently ammo efficient)

- Atomos (very good AOE and room clear weapon)

- Aksomati (fun to use, basically a mini-Soma and a good choice when pared with a low fire rate weapon like a bow as primary)

Those are currently my favorite secondaries. They are all good in their own right, some more for some situations than others. I would always recommend to base the choice of what secondary to use on the currently used primary (or the other way around) in order to have a weapon available for different situations. Paring the Aksomati's up with the Soma P for example makes little sense for example since you end up with 2 weapons that do basically the same thing in the same way. The more ammo efficient Vaykor Marelok fits the Soma P much better, and the Aksomati's are better used to cover the weaknesses of low fire rate weapons like a bow or the tonkor.

The atmos is fun to use and very good at clearing groups of enemies up to a certain point (once enemies reach around level 100 it becomes too ammo inefficient). And the AkMagnus are basically somewhere between the Vaykor Marelok and the Aksomati's. Being a good compromise between high damage per shot and ammo efficiency and high fire rate.

If you are using a power hungry frame, I recommend using the synoid gammacor simply for its syndicate ability giving you back energy. I was running a CC banshee build the other day levelling some new weapons on Draco, and I found equipping the synoid gammacor before using soundwave meant it self-replenished its own energy as I used it ( max range and efficiency build) so I literally locked down all four interception points for whole waves at a time if I chose.

My choices are in case you don't have access to the syndicate secondaries.

Personal favorite is the Pyrana solid damage and tight enough spread to hit med distance but packs a punch.

For range the Marelok is hands down the best.

Remember these are my non'syndicate secondaries that are easy enough to get as log as you're in a clan with a decent dojo.

The Kulstar is pretty good IMO i have mine doing about 17k blast damage. Also the Lex Prime is great. On a side note does anyone think we will ever get AK Lex Prime?

I think it will be some time before any kind of Ak______ Prime goes public, simply because of the length of the development cycle.

My choices are in case you don't have access to the syndicate secondaries.

Personal favorite is the Pyrana solid damage and tight enough spread to hit med distance but packs a punch.

For range the Marelok is hands down the best.

Remember these are my non'syndicate secondaries that are easy enough to get as log as you're in a clan with a decent dojo.

I'm inclined to agree with the Pyrana being a good secondary for beginning Tenno as the building requirements (yes, assuming the Tenno in question is in a clan that has that research complete) are very reasonable for someone new to the game. Except for the Forma that's also required, many beginning Tenno don't immediately know about or go about acquiring a Forma.

I made a rather comprehensive listing of the best secondary weapons on Reddit here.

Repost here:

Some categories:

Anti-crowd (safe): Atomos

Anti-crowd (explosive): Kulstar

Single-target (long-range): Vaykor Marelok, Rakta Ballistica or Lex Prime

Sustained DPS (short range): Brakk and Synoid Gammacor

Generalist: Aksomati or Twin Grakatas

Awesome: Sonicor

Healgun: Furis

Great list for more experienced players, but, I don't see this helping the OP and other new Tenno as most of these weapons are either MR-locked or beyond the reach of the new Tenno.

As to your note about the Twin Grakatas being ammo-inefficient, I have a suggestion for that problem that doesn't cost you a precious mod slot: Banshee (with Resonance). Any enemy that you can kill in one shot with hundreds of thousands of damage or more solves the problem of ammo efficiency.

Current favorite secondaries are the synoid gammacor, rakta ballistica, and kulstar. SG has a decent perk with the +25 energy, which can help in dire situations. Same with the RB which increases movement speed. Both those weapons also have the 1000 dmg burst, and reload fairly well.

However the kulstar is great. Especially with the 200% multishot, exploding rounds, and NO DISTANCE DROP OFF, I love the gun. Currently I have it modded at 9000 base damage (corrosive + blast). Aside from it being able to kill you, it's wonderful

I am a Synoid Gammacor fan, Kulstar (if say leveling a primary in Akkad) but currently I'm favouring the Rakta Balistica (typically corrosive build) and Vaykor Marelok. Forma crazy and catalyst those puppies and you've got yourself amazing firepower.