The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Help Me Choose A Melee Weapon

Vheraun

Question

Hello everyone!

I'll get right into the point, I want to build some more melee weapons for my frames, but, as they are mostly stealthy, elegant frames I'm looking for roleplay-appropriate stuff.

Mainly, I want your opinions on the following:

-Silva & Aegis

-Dakra Prime

-Tipedo

-Orthos Prime

-Any dagger

Plus, any other suggestion you may have, for melee or ranged weapons, is welcome ^_^

EDIT: Opinions on usefulness, I'll decide how much they fit my frames on my own :3

Also, I've already got my sights on the Destreza.

Edited by Vheraun

14 answers to this question

Since you seem into the role-play setting

Hello everyone!

I'll get right into the point, I want to build some more melee weapons for my frames, but, as they are mostly stealthy, elegant frames I'm looking for roleplay-appropriate stuff.

-Silva & Aegis

-Dakra Prime

-Tipedo

-Orthos Prime

-Any dagger

Plus, any other suggestion you may have, for melee or ranged weapons, is welcome ^_^

EDIT: Opinions on usefulness, I'll decide how much they fit my frames on my own :3

Well, since it is "stealthy" and "elegant", I don't think the current shield and sword type weapons fit that role-play. Maybe wait until skins are released or new sword and shield type weapons come out.

Daggers, well, you have your pick.

Karyst seems good, since it's a single dagger, with toxic as it's main damage. And since it's a single dagger, you can use Covert Lethality (Dagger specific mod for increased stealth finisher damage). 

Dark Dagger is also good, it's main attack type is Radiation, it also has a Syndicate mod to increase status chance by 100%, and gives it a Syndicate proc (not really recommended if going for stealth though).

For Dagger Stances,

Homing Fang has a few status proc moves, which and Life Eater (3 hit pause 4 hit) ends with a slam move, so if any weapons has a proc on ground slam moves, it makes a proc of whatever status proc it does (Karyst procs toxic on ground slam, Dark Dagger procs Radiation on ground slam, Heat Dagger and Sheev procs Heat on ground slam, etc). Also its ground finisher does a 2 hit, where one hit is the stab into the grounded/knocked down target, and then follows with a spinning slash, which can hit targets getting up; in essence a 2 hit ground finisher. 

For elegant weapons,

The Destreza (rapier) is one. Whips can be elegant-like. Lecta (Electric as main damage) or Scoliac (procs toxic on ground slams). The Atterax whip looks too... babaric to be "elegant" in my opinion, but it's up to you.

Stances are up to you. Coiling Viper is more mobile, while Burning Wasp has more status proc moves.

If you want a blade/whip combo you can go with Lacera (main damage is Electric). Although its stealth finishers are brutal.

The Dakra Prime is a longsword weapon, but its design is reminiscent of rapiers.

Crimson Dervish is a good stance since Coiling Impale (3 hit guard 1 hit) leaves them open to finishers (the counter one) and then it makes them fall to the ground, which lets you do another finisher (ground finisher). The counter finisher it does also looks like something, someone with a rapier would do, kind of.

The Orthos Prime looks elegant, but I don't know... it has a nice blast proc on ground slams.

Its stances; Bleeding Willow and Shimmering Blight aren't very elegant though. But it's up to you.

Pole-arms don't really have an elegant look in my opinion, aside from the Orthos Prime.

Dual Zorens and Dual Kamas Prime, both with their alternate skins (Dual Zoren Cyskis and Dual Kamas Nari & Vali), make the weapons look nicer. Both weapons are ok.

Bows can always fit into stealth play. You also have your choice of skins and arrow skins. (Daikyu has conclave skin as well).

Sniper rifles can fit "elegant" frames. Vectis series has a nice look to it to fit those elegant frames. Snipetron series and Lanka also has a sleek enough design to fit the elegant look. The Vulkar also has a sleek look to it. Rubico looks like a bad-! revolver type sniper, but it may not fit the elegant look.

Throwing knives/stars can fit into stealth frames. 

Throwing explosives (Castanas and Talons) may or may not fit into your "elegant" frames.

Latron series can fit into your elegant frames. It's an assault rifle, that is semi-automatic, and feels like a sniper rifle, expect you aim down your sights, instead of through the scope. The recoil isn't too bad.

Sybaris also has a sleek elegant look to it. It's a double shoot burst fire weapon, and the recoil isn't bad at all. Pretty accurate too.

Tiberon is pretty much similar to Sybaris, except it's a three-round burst fire weapon, and recoil isn't bad either. Design is different from the Sybaris. 

Marelok series and Grinlok are bolt action rifles, that are semi-automatic. Recoil can be manageable. Bolt action guns have their own elegance to it, but ultimately it is up to user's taste.

I can't really think of anymore stealthy or elegant type weapons for your frames. The ones I listed are what I think might fit into your role-play criteria for your frames. There may or may not be more though.

I hope this helps. If you have anymore weapons you wish for feedback on, let me know.

Edited by VoidWraith

-Silva & Aegis - It was cool but I felt it failed to compare to many other weapons in damage, the look is cool though.

-Dakra Prime - I love this with Crimson Dervish, recently got the weapon from trading. Not as good as Broken-War but imo far more stylish.

-Tipedo - In the days of coptering, this was the king. Now it's a weaker Orthos. I'd say mastery fodder.

-Orthos Prime - Really solid weapon, looks nice and does pretty good damage. Put reach on that and spam spin attacks, you'll hit everything.

- Any Dagger - I haven't tried enough daggers to give you any suggestions.

Edited by AkemiNaka

Lacera with Defiled Snapdragon is one I liked leveling a lot. Felt like a ninja with a chain and sword from one of those old movies and it has a crazy status chance. Once I'm caught up on updating my loadouts I'm definitely going to go back and play with that some more.

Silva & Aegis doesn't strike me as anything special, beyond that it looks completely and totally frikkin cool. If you like playing Ember with an accelerant build it could be useful for pure Heat or <something>+Heat builds, but otherwise I'd skip it for now.

Darka Prime has been totally outclassed by Broken War AFAIK. Just do 2nd Dream and you'll get that for free.

I haven't used Tipedo in a long time, but it was awesome because it was the best copter weapon and there was a stance with a super fast spammy spin move. Coptering is out with Parkour 2.0 and IIRC they nerfed the stance... I don't even remember which one it was.

Not sure about Orthos Prime or daggers, but I notice Karyst is base toxic and has the highest base damage of daggers so I might start there, but I've heard of people using Sheev without a stance to spam bleed procs. Apparently with no stance it adds an extra hit after the default combo which is 100% status chance or something.

Edited by VKhaun

Hello everyone!

-Silva & Aegis

-Dakra Prime

-Tipedo

-Orthos Prime

-Any dagger

I would recommend the new Destreza its easy to build and has good move set with high damage.

Hello everyone!

-Silva & Aegis

-Dakra Prime

-Tipedo

-Orthos Prime

-Any dagger

For your idea of stealthy, RP play. I'd suggest daggers and swords, both single and dual wield varieties. There's also the new rapier weapon, Destreza.

I enjoyed leveling the, Dual Zoren (axes), as they're known for their high crit chance. 

Silva Aegis: IMO the only frame that can use this thing is Ember, and that's with Final Harbinger stance and a Corrosive Fire status build, and even then it's still kinda meh.

Dakra Prime: A decent weapon made obsolete by Broken War.

Tipedo: Once used as a mobility tool, it's still a decent weapon in its own right, especially considering how early in the game it's available. A Corrosive status build with Shattering Impact and Berserker can tear through any single enemy pretty fast with Clashing Forest's forward combo, while the neutral combo is good for hitting large crowds.

Orthos Prime: The weapon has absurdly long reach with Primed Reach installed, and it's got good speed. That's about all there is to it. Personally I would use Serro or Tonbo instead if I were inclined to use a Polearm at all, as they have higher damage and good Status chance while still having good range.

Daggers: The ultimate stealth weapons, due to 100% lethality on prompted Stealth/Counter Finisher attacks with Covert Lethality mod. Even in normal combat, with Pointed Wind stance and Covert Lethality these weapons are now quite powerful in their own right, comparable in damage to the Heavy Weapons while retaining their speed. The Karyst would be the best choice if you're after a mainhand weapon for stealth purposes, because syndicate effects can interfere with stealth. The Dark Dagger is best for general use outside of stealth due to its syndicate mod, and it can be used in stealth too as long as it's kept sheathed and only ever used for prompted Stealth Finishers.

Edited by OniGanon

Well since no one has mentioned it I will.

Dragon Nikana or the base Nikana....we are space ninjas and this is the closest looking sword to a Katana we have (even carry it on our side not back)

The damage is great and can hold its own even without Forma.

-snip-

Most extensive reply yet ^_^

Thanks for your input. We agree on a lot of weapons. I already have most bows and throwing weapons, as well as a Lecta and a Castana for my shock troop, Vauban.

I was also planning to build a Vectis Prime and the Destreza. And I have Dakra Prime and I'm too hesitant to let it go. Broken-war or not, this is a sword that I love.

I decided to build the Karyst for now, as it seems both viable and interesting, and I'll keep doing the nitain missions for destreza. I still need to grind for stances and Covert Lethality, but it's a start.

Thank you, as well as everyone else that replied here :D

EDIT: Sybaris is beautiful too. I may make something very interesting out of that one and Vasto or Akvasto or something similar. Old-school gun feeling. I haven't checked how they are built yet, but I think I'll have that in mind :3

Edited by Vheraun