Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Best Sniper Rifle?

BabyBomi

Question

I'm not planning to be serious with snipers, but I just wanted to try them out. I have the rubico and it was a bit meh. The vectis prime looks pretty cool, or the vulkar? Which is the best? (Or top tier)

And as a side note, what's the differences between vaykor hek and sancti Tigris? I already have the v hek but I could maximise my MLG ness by using v hek for grineer and s tigris for infested I guess? (Puncture and slash). I guess I may aswell get the rakta cernos and synoid simulor as well...

Oh and are the phage and amprex and those beam weapons any good? If so, please recommend the best one and/or the funnest one to use :p

Edited by BabyBomi

18 answers to this question

As far as hek and tigris' differences, the primary one is that tigris shots work differently then heks. In heks, they both go off at the same time. With tigris, the first goes of when you press down on the mouse button, the second when you let go of the mouse button. This can be useful as it lets you target two people with one click of the mouse. (I got this information from the wiki btw, so two things- a: don't credit me with finding it out/ knowing about it, and b: always check the wiki first. It doesn't know everything, or everything perfectly, but it will answer a lot of questions for you.)

I'm pretty sure there are other differences too, but I'd have to have someone more experienced tell you those.

Edited by DrakeArron

I've had the latron suggested to me as a good sniper to start out with

Latron isn't a sniper, it's a semi-auto rifle.

To the OP :

The best sniper are the vectis (and prime counterpart) and the lanka.

The lanka has a crit chance bonus when using scope which grants it the ability to do red crit (if i remember well). Plus this one has a very long combo timer which allows it to never lose the combo even when reloading, and very high damage.

The vectis (and prime) have a combo timer good enough to have enough time to reload, so you can infinitely keep your combo.

If i remember well the "scope bonus" is more damage.

The difference with the vaykor hek and the sancti tigris (aside from the different kind of damage element) is the fact that the V hek is played on crit while the S tigris is played on very high damage.

So imagine that the hek will need to crit to deal good damage, but the tigris will always deals a LOT of damage if well moded.

The V hek can probably deal more if every pellet crit, but every single pellet can crit (and has the same crit chance).

Do your choice for the shotgun.

Regarding the phage & amprex, i have no idea for the phage but it seems to be good.

The amprex is a good weapon that rely on a crit chance higher than 100% and not so big damage but very high crit damage.

So you don't deal a lot but since you crit all the time and very often red crit, you deal a lot of damage.

Plus, it deals damage in an area.

Edited by Trichouette

Latron isn't a sniper, it's a semi-auto rifle.

To the OP :

The best sniper are the vectis (and prime counterpart) and the lanka.

The lanka has a crit chance bonus when using scope which grants it the ability to do red crit (if i remember well). Plus this one has a very long combo timer which allows it to never lose the combo even when reloading, and very high damage.

The vectis (and prime) have a combo timer good enough to have enough time to reload, so you can infinitely keep your combo.

If i remember well the "scope bonus" is more damage.

The difference with the vaykor hek and the sancti tigris (aside from the different kind of damage element) is the fact that the V hek is played on crit while the S tigris is played on very high damage.

So imagine that the hek will need to crit to deal good damage, but the tigris will always deals a LOT of damage if well moded.

The V hek can probably deal more if every pellet crit, but every single pellet can crit (and has the same crit chance).

Do your choice for the shotgun.

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification! My mistake, I'll edit out then, as I assume he hasn't read my reply.

I personally use the Vectis Prime with the Corrupted mod to reduce it's Mag to 1, granting me permanent Charged Chamber. though I've heard Rubico can get insane damage. I personally chose the Vectis Prime as my go-to Sniper Rifle

Personally I prefer the Hek (+Scattered Justice) over the Vaykor Hek, to make the Vaykor version out-damage the Mod version you pretty much NEED Primed Ravage and build it for Crit. and even then the overall damage comparison only SLIGHTLY outpaces the Syndicate Mod Hek. but that's my opinion. others swear by the Vaykor

I own both the Hek and the Sancti Tigris, though I use the Hek more (I despise the Tigris' Trigger functionality) from a damage-standpoint they feel about equal to me with identical builds, though the Tigris reloads and fires faster but the Hek has double the clip. IIRC it's Hek for crowds, Tigris for Single-Target Overkill.

I've heard VERY good things about the Phage, but I don't run it personally as I find my Rad/Viral/Puncture 45+ Damage per shot Hek to be MORE than sufficient for basically anything that gets thrown at me. I just can't get my Phage to stack up to it personally, though I've no idea how to mod it.

The Amprex though has criminally low base damage (IMO) but has a ridiculous crit chance, able to surpass 100% and allowing for Red Crits (when your crit, crits). you can also build it really well for Status. Built for Status (and range) a good Sayrn can turn it into a nuker, applying any of the Toxic procs to hordes of enemies and using the Toxic proc+Miasma bonus to melt EVERYBODY into goo. so it's got its uses. The innate Electric makes it sound best suited for Corpus, which is VERY true especially when combined with a Cold mod for Magnetic, but adding a Toxic mod for Corrosive damage can wreck grineer, and adding in Gas (Toxic Fire) can destroy Infested. so If you run it that way (I.E. Without a Saryn) than you'll be building it situationally. add in those Primed Bane mods we got earlier for added bonus damage ^^

Those are just my opinions, I've used all these weapons, though some of them I last used a WHILE back. so take literally EVERYTHING I (or anybody else for that matter) say with a grain of salt. When in doubt, use your own experiences to find what works best for YOU and YOUR playstyle.

top tier sniper is the lanka bc it can red crit, after that comes probably the vectis prime and the rubico on par with each other.

The sancti tigris is very good and has a super high base damage, but has to reload often since it has only two shots in the magazine. also, the vaykor hek is worse than the hek unless you have a maxed primed ravage, which is a hassle at the very least. however, the V hek will scale better endgame because of the bonus critical headshot multiplier.

The amprex is pretty good afaik, the only probably is the crazy ammo consumption.

The Lanka does have the highest base damage, and it is elemental, so it has the upper hand in some categories. Its zoom perk does allow it to red crit, though relying on that isn't necessarily the best option. At max zoom, you only have a 12.5% chance of red crit, and the magnification is massive, making it difficult to aim in smaller or debris riddled maps. It does have a charge and travel time, and some people don't like that. It also has innate 5m of punch through.

The Vectis has always been a strong sniper with the highest theoretical fire rate with its 1 round mag size and active reloading. Its zoom perk grants it up to 15% extra crit damage, which is nice.

The Vectis Prime has a 2 round clip which many players don't like since it blocks the 1 shot active reload of the non prime variant. Depleted Reload can reduce it to 1 shot, enabling the active reload, and increases its reload speed, but it uses up a mod slot. It boasts higher damage than Vectis and higher zoom ratios and higher crit bonuses, up to 20%.

The Rubico, my personal favorite, is a touch weaker than the Vectis in base damage, but has a 3x multiplier and up to 50% extra damage at max zoom. It suffers from a long reload, but is arguably the highest reliable damage from the sniper category. (Reliable referring to the chance of red crits from Lanka)

The Vulkar is essentially as strong as the Vectis in base damage, but has a larger clip, longer reload, and has a base damage boost from zooming rather than crit damage. It also benefits from a syndicate mod that grants it an additional 60% damage while zoomed, in addition to the default zooming bonuses.

When it comes down to it, which sniper is "best" depends on what kind of fire power you want from it. Vectis and Depleted Vectis Prime will excel in rapid kills on grunts. Vectis Prime without Depleted will have the easiest kills on individual high level heavies. Lanka benefits most from elemental damage and has the highest single shot potential, while also being able to mow down hordes of smaller enemies in a line. The Rubico will have the most consistant high damage single shots, and can also benefit from Crash Course (120% Impact). If you like radial blasts, Vulkar with the augment will give that to you while maintaining formidable damage.

It's most up to you.

Edited by -CM-Jaypalm

lanka is probably the best in terms of hardest hitting.  Its not quite silent but low noise, it has a small aoe as well, coupled with electric damage which is a good one.    I dislike its bow-like shooting held trigger.

vectis with every shot charged chamber is pretty nasty.

Sybaris :)   not really a sniper, but its halfway between a sniper and a burst gun.

Yes, read the damage 2.0 info and adapt a build for each faction (corpus, infested, grineer, and generic/void).

Edited by jonnin

Hmmm ok, thanks for the reply guys!!

I run corrosive + heat on my v hek as I've copied my build from other players. Should I run radiation + viral instead or does it depend on factions?

Corrosive Heat would be good against Grineer (weak to Corrosive) and Infested (Weak to Heat) but it would be rather lackluster against Corpus. ESPECIALLY since it deals Puncture damage and not Impact, which the Corpus are weak to.

I build Viral/Radiation simply because of the Proc chance on the Regular Scattered Justice Hek, I hit over 90% even WITHOUT Status mods just between Scattered Justice and Hell's Chamber. Radiation causes enemies to attack each other (Always helpful, and keeps fire off me if I don't one-shot them and need to reload) and Viral halves their HP effectively increasing my damage output even more. I actually have no idea who's weak to those 2 elements, but they synergise well and their effects are VERY useful to have around. so I build it on everything

many players I've seen who build other elementals either have contrasting ones (Like Heat/Corrosive) so it's effective against multiple factions, or build for specific weaknesses and swap out based on what faction they're fighting, too time-consuming for me, but I'm lazy and have found my Viral+Rad to be useful against basically everything.

Again I'd like to stress that without Primed Ravage, Vaykor Hek is out-damaged by Scattered Justice Hek. and even WITH Primed Ravage you pretty much NEED Headshots to out-damage Scattered Justice Hek. there's a reason us Steel-Meridian players were pissed about Vaykor Hek

Corrosive Heat would be good against Grineer (weak to Corrosive) and Infested (Weak to Heat) but it would be rather lackluster against Corpus. ESPECIALLY since it deals Puncture damage and not Impact, which the Corpus are weak to.

I build Viral/Radiation simply because of the Proc chance on the Regular Scattered Justice Hek, I hit over 90% even WITHOUT Status mods just between Scattered Justice and Hell's Chamber. Radiation causes enemies to attack each other (Always helpful, and keeps fire off me if I don't one-shot them and need to reload) and Viral halves their HP effectively increasing my damage output even more. I actually have no idea who's weak to those 2 elements, but they synergise well and their effects are VERY useful to have around. so I build it on everything

many players I've seen who build other elementals either have contrasting ones (Like Heat/Corrosive) so it's effective against multiple factions, or build for specific weaknesses and swap out based on what faction they're fighting, too time-consuming for me, but I'm lazy and have found my Viral+Rad to be useful against basically everything.

Again I'd like to stress that without Primed Ravage, Vaykor Hek is out-damaged by Scattered Justice Hek. and even WITH Primed Ravage you pretty much NEED Headshots to out-damage Scattered Justice Hek. there's a reason us Steel-Meridian players were pissed about Vaykor Hek

I'd get the hek ... but I already got vaykor -_- meh i can live with it

The Lanka does have the highest base damage, and it is elemental, so it has the upper hand in some categories. Its zoom perk does allow it to red crit, though relying on that isn't necessarily the best option. At max zoom, you only have a 12.5% chance of red crit, and the magnification is massive, making it difficult to aim in smaller or debris riddled maps. It does have a charge and travel time, and some people don't like that. It also has innate 5m of punch through.

This.

The Lanka's crit chance bonus is fantastic to have, although not because of its red crit capability. The bonus is important because (at 7x zoom-in) you'll be critting almost 100% of the time, which is not something that most other sniper rifles are able to do.

With most of the other snipers, there's always going to be a disgusting ~37% chance of not landing a crit, meaning that any decently-leveled enemy has a ~37% chance of not dying no matter how perfectly-placed that headshot was. The Lanka, however, can reduce this chance to ~7% at the 7x zoom-in level (or 0% at the 12x zoom-in level plus a low chance for red crits, although this can make it difficult to land shots properly), meaning that it's far more reliable to use than any other sniper rifle once you get used to its mechanics.

People keep fawning on about the red crits, but that's a silly thing to be fawning on about considering the enemy should be dying in one hit anyways. I mean, on bosses or level 100+ heavies, maybe; but red crits on Bows and Snipers are almost entirely cosmetic in regular gameplay if you know how to headshot properly.

Edited by SortaRandom

Vulgar Wraith seems like the most promising as soon as it comes to the game, besides, Lanka is an electric Bow, Vectis/Prime are...interesting but Opticor is still better.

The others are more or less crap.

I would say, if Opticor was a Sniper, I would pick it every single time.

Vulgar Wraith seems like the most promising as soon as it comes to the game, besides, Lanka is an electric Bow, Vectis/Prime are...interesting but Opticor is still better.

The others are more or less crap.

I would say, if Opticor was a Sniper, I would pick it every single time.

Sadly we're talking here about a kind of weapon that sucks in this game....

Even this bad rework didn't change that.

I wouldn't see a sniper scope on opticor, but it's clear that opticor is far better than the snipers of this game.