The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

From Pc To Console

swizzybeatzjamz

Question

I recently bought a ps4 with fallout 4 and wither 3 and was like cool I'll download warframe. I sadly came to the hard truth that I would have to start all the way over. I uninstalled warframe on ps4 because I couldn't imagine grinding myself to mastery rank 18 again.

A friend of mine said long ago they transferred accounts from pc to ps4 and xbone.

Is there any word of this happening again. If not I would love to see this implemented permanently. Then players can enjoy warframe on the comfort of there couches and 60inch tvs. Please and thank you for reading.

11 answers to this question

DE stated recently that they were hoping to have another round of transfers, but as stated before, it's up to Sony or Microsoft. Hopefully around u19 we get a transfer, I've got a few friends on PC that wanna play on PS4 and don't wanna have to grind up to mastery 20 again lol.

@epunamun I'd have to say yes to your question as well. Since your PSN account would become linked to Warframe, you would have to have a PS4 for it to be done. I'm unsure of the process exactly, but I'm going based off of other games that have done this sort of thing.

Actually, there are two different issues, and the problems are Microsoft/Sony caused, with DE not helping... :)

The technical issue (patch levels) is relatively easy to resolve.  Carry out the transfer just before the PS4/XBox get updated to a similar enough patch level for it to be valid (e.g. 2nd dream on PC to PSN without it would NOT work, for obvious reasons).  You could also tell people that they can do it, but will need to be inactive for 30 days (or something).  Not ideal, but some people would take it.  The fact that the build has to go through full validation is the main reason for the consoles lagging behind.  Almost every update requires a hotfix within about 2 hours - and you just cannot push updates out like that through validation.

The second issue is a purely business one.  Someone migrating from the PC to PS4/XBox will not have spent their money via Sony/Microsoft - and therefore the main source of income has been removed from that player.  The consoles don't make much money, they make their profit on licensing and store purchases.  I believe that there is a moratorium on platinum discounts on the console for this reason as well.

It would be lovely to have them in sync (let people play cross platform), but DE would need to run 2 PC versions - a 'bleeding edge' that PC only players get, and finds the bugs before they hit the consoles and a separate 'stable' platform that allows people to play cross platform.  Given that the PC bugs that are fixed are often balance ones - this would be maintenance hell for DE.  E.g. you could end up with the situation where they have to leave Nyx absorb being able to move around (when emotes were added) for about 3 weeks while pushing the update through Microsoft/Sony.

There was discussion a long time ago about DE working with the console manufacturers to streamline hotfixes so that the lag did not need to be as much - given that this does not seem to have happened, I'm guessing that neither of them thought it valuable enough (to them) to put the effort in.

Actually, there are two different issues, and the problems are Microsoft/Sony caused, with DE not helping... :)

The technical issue (patch levels) is relatively easy to resolve.  Carry out the transfer just before the PS4/XBox get updated to a similar enough patch level for it to be valid (e.g. 2nd dream on PC to PSN without it would NOT work, for obvious reasons).  You could also tell people that they can do it, but will need to be inactive for 30 days (or something).  Not ideal, but some people would take it.  The fact that the build has to go through full validation is the main reason for the consoles lagging behind.  Almost every update requires a hotfix within about 2 hours - and you just cannot push updates out like that through validation.

The second issue is a purely business one.  Someone migrating from the PC to PS4/XBox will not have spent their money via Sony/Microsoft - and therefore the main source of income has been removed from that player.  The consoles don't make much money, they make their profit on licensing and store purchases.  I believe that there is a moratorium on platinum discounts on the console for this reason as well.

It would be lovely to have them in sync (let people play cross platform), but DE would need to run 2 PC versions - a 'bleeding edge' that PC only players get, and finds the bugs before they hit the consoles and a separate 'stable' platform that allows people to play cross platform.  Given that the PC bugs that are fixed are often balance ones - this would be maintenance hell for DE.  E.g. you could end up with the situation where they have to leave Nyx absorb being able to move around (when emotes were added) for about 3 weeks while pushing the update through Microsoft/Sony.

There was discussion a long time ago about DE working with the console manufacturers to streamline hotfixes so that the lag did not need to be as much - given that this does not seem to have happened, I'm guessing that neither of them thought it valuable enough (to them) to put the effort in.

Actually, The delay between patches has improved, dramatically. PC used to be almost 2 full on updates (not just a few hot fixes) ahead of console. When u13 was out on PC, PS4 was just receiving u12 in cert, after u12, the delay of patches was reduced to about 1-2 months, which is fine, because rather then having to cert multiple builds, they wait til they have a stable PC build, and send that build to cert for consoles. The holidays are always a bit behind, what with vacations and personal time needed by DE staff, so it's understandable. PC will always be ahead of consoles, solely because DE has full control over PC and can patch whenever it's needed, while consoles can receive minor hot fixes, but not full on updates, due to the cert process and some other technical stuff

Apparently, it has to do with Microsoft and Sony's willingness to do that sort of thing, not DE. It was a special occasion on launch that they allowed it, so I wouldn't cross your fingers for any account migration.

Complete BS.

It has to do with patches if anything as consoles are usually 2-3months apart from pc. You can't copy data of content that isn't in the game yet. This would break the game.

This isn't microsofts/sonys fault. A delay of a week or two would be but DE just doesn't bother with weekly updates for consoles. This is eather a management problem or a lack of staff as its more work to code something new then it is to translate it.

We may reach a state where pc and consoles are synchronised again eventually but i kinda doubt that it'll be in the near future. Seriously, stop blaming consoles for something they have no controll over. They do pretty darn decent work on theyr part.

On a sidenote, thers this myth that consoles can't process stuff on a regular base (the missing discounts on ps4 last year) but it somehow allways works out for prime access so i highly doubt that any of this is true.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108