The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Satellite Internet And Warframe

FunkadelicMayhem

Question

Does anyone play this game on satellite? I might be moving to a place where sat is the only option and am hoping its not that big a deal like it would be with games like COD and other FPS.

What about gigs? On all satellite packages you pay for gigs per month. How much gigs (aside from downloading) does this game use up?

From what I read satellite is not that big a deal except the ping which is not even a second in some cases depending on the option you take. Which I kinda understand. But some people play in places like New Zealand or Australia and connect to servers in north America (not as far as a sat i know but its far) and dont seam to have that big an issue.

Will I still be able to play my favorite game ever?

9 answers to this question

I didnt have satellite but i played on a connection that was 700kbs to 1mb download and 125kbs upload for over a year i could play solo and with other people i just couldn't  host a match because the other players would complain about lag but when i wasn't i had no problems playing 

I am currently playing on satellite.

DishNet on the HughesNet network, 600ms to 1,000ms latency on average with 10mb/s down, 3mb/s up (actually translates to 0.5mb/s or less).

Our plan allows 20gb a month as the lower mid tier plan, next tiers are 30gb and 40gb.

Do not expect to be able to use the full allowance before being throttled into oblivion, especially if you get stuck with the HughesNet system. They split the data in half, allowing one half as "any time" data and the other as "bonus bytes" only available between 2am and 8am. Once throttled we are set to 250kb/s for roughly five hours, then throttled again down to 16kb/s.

Warframe itself plays amazingly well on satellite, but it is one of very few action games that do.

If you watch a lot of anime or use youtube a lot, you will suffer unfortunately, but it is what it is. Even with my usage, just playing warframe and occasionally visiting facebook, we run out with about 12 days remaining until the data limit reset for the next month. Though this is with two other people in the house, doing who knows what.

Edited by Aoden

I currently play warframe using exede sat internet. During the daytime I solo play because the only uploading and downloading you are doing is saving to the server and getting alerts. Normally on a light day its about 100mb but if I'm hardcore farming it gets up to about 400-500mb. Dojo and relays are your enemy due to having your system constantly listening for new connections or loading more players.

Exede internet comes with a late night free zone that starts at 12am and lasts until 5am. During this time the data cap is removed and it isn't counted against you. So that's when I play public matches with friends and randoms. The lag will get to you on bad days and if you host the lag to your party members will be great. I'm talking 2.5 secs+ waiting for a door to open. Try not to die.

watch speeds.  Some places put the speed in bits instead of bytes to get an 8 fold increase in their stats.  Its an old trick.

you need at least 1 Mbyte / second to play in the worst games (people got explosions and mobs and projectiles all over the place in a huge area).   You can play with less, but it will lag in some conditions.

2-3 MB/s is usually good.   Much more than this and the OTHER player's laggy computer will be your weak link -- if you are hosting, they jump and spaz around as they lag about and if they are hosting, you are back to 1 Mb/s  like conditions because you are connected to THEIR 1 mb/s dial up or whatever they are using.

can you explain this please.

It goes something like this:

it takes 8 bits to make 1 byte.

If i say 8Mb i mean 8 megabit, and if I say 8MB i mean 8 megabyte. Lower case b for bit, and upper case B for byte.

Not all internetproviders uphold this, and give misleading information. They may tell you that it,s 8MB per second, but they are in fact talking about bits and not bytes.

Network connections in general are spoken of in bits per second, but if you think it's byte per second, you only get an 8th of what you're expecting.

Well, i don't really understand what sattelite connection is, but if we talking somehow about a "S#&$ty" internet (i mean below 500KB/s), you can still play it well if you don't mind the lag, but you can't host other player tho. The most important thing is the internet stability imo. From my experience, i used to spend around 8GB per month, 5-8 hours of active trading/play per day.

But in very laggy day, you'd better solo anything. 1 minute+ lag is no fun

What he said^^^

if they advertise a connection in bits / sec its 1/8th what you might expect.

The trick is that both bits and bytes have similar abbreviations.   Bits / sec is bps usually, so you se MBps or KBps on the label.   Bytes / sec is usually spelled out or simply MB/s or KB/s or the like. 

So your gigabit Ethernet is really "only" 125 MB/sec. 

And it gets worse.

A true megabyte is 2^20 which is 1,048,576 bytes.

A true gigabyte is 2^30 which is really 1,073,741,824 bytes.

It didn't matter back when numbers were smaller but now the "spare change" on these values is a significant amount of data per second. 

Be aware of whether a company defines their bandwidth in powers of 2 vs powers of 10.