The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Looking For Mid-Game Guides

(XBOX)Deflinek

Question

I'm looking for some mid-level guides to Warframe.

I prefer to run solo everything but I struggle a lot on missions above level 25. I occasionally join public games on assassinations to unlock the next planet but that's it.

I'm Mastery Rank 4. I usually run in Rhino with Drakgoon (and Raksa Kubrow). I have unlocked Phobos and Uranus but both are quite hard. I can't quite imagine doing anything harder than that. Also Tower I is easy but I fail on most of Tower II missions.

The issue is that I can't find any guide to improve my survivability and damage. Probably my google-fu is not that great but I find only beginner guides like how to use foundry or high-end guides that require prime weapons and rare mods I'm nowhere nearby.

Can someone point me to the right direction? Any guides or tips on how to improve?

8 answers to this question

You don't need a guide so much as a better and deeper understanding of the game's mechanics.  I would suggest three pretty broad topics for you start "researching".

1. Damage 2.0.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage

As you go higher in the game your damage type(s) matters A LOT.  You are struggling on Phobos and using the Drakgoon (a slash based weapon).  The damage wiki page will give you a peak into why, but in short slash damage has a large penalty against armored Grineer.

The Hek (puncture) is a much better weapon choice for Phobos and the Grineer.  The Sobek (impact) is a much better choice against most Corpus units.

2. Mods

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Mods

The majority of your weapon and frame power comes from mods.  Figure out which ones are important and where to get them - enemy drops, alerts, end of mission rewards, etc.

3. Rewards

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Spy

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Survival/Rewards

This ties in with mods above.  You need mods and a lot of them come as mission rewards.  Note the two links are examples and you care about more mission types beyond those.  Excavation, Interception, Hive, Defense, etc.

Pushing higher onto the star chart is little to no actual benefit to you at this time.  Running a 20 minute survival on Jupiter is much better for you than struggling to do 5 minutes on Phobos.  Why?  The rewards given to you at 10, 15, and 20 minutes.

The last thing I would say is that Warframe's mid-game is very unkind to a solo player.   I'm also a solo player by nature but I some what embraced the coop nature of this game out of necessity.  In the process I've met a group of really solid friends that I play with all the time.  It makes the game much better to have a clan.

Basic tenet of Warframe : The game is won through mods.  If you are struggling, take some time to look at your modding and level up your mods.  Any frame can run any mission solo assuming they have the proper mod setup.  Since you said your main, at the moment, is Rhino (A personal solo favorite) I'll give you my Rhino build (I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've died running Rhino and I only use him when I solo).

Intensify, Blind Rage, Fleeting Expertise, Primed Continuity(To make up for the Stomp duration loss on Fleeting), Streamline, Stretch, Armored Agility, Vitality(Can be dropped if needed), Stretch, Constitution (Again for duration on Stomp/Roar), Steel Charge Aura, and Power drift in the Exilus.  All these mods are maxed in my build.

This gives you a good all around frame with high survivability and some mobility.  Keep Iron Skin up at all times, and use Stomp/Roar for heavies if/when needed.

I would also, personally, suggest you drop the Dragkoon and get a non-charge up primary.  If you prefer Shotguns, the Sancti Tigris is a beast but, realistically, any gun with some forma and a tato can perform well on the Star chart and in the voids.  Another thing is to try and keep some form of Life strike on all your melee weapons.  In doing so you will never really have to worry about your health again.  If it gets low simply channel once with your melee and swing for the fences.

Edited by (PS4)horridhal

Get the soma or boltor and forma them a couple times, add some good mods like Heavy caliber and serration and you will start to do some damage. Once you do, I suggest tagging aloud on the higher end missions and farm a good prime frame you like, for example rhino prime. Good site to know where to farm: tennodrops.com

Edited by DoorRF

I'm in the same boat as you.

My advice? Backpedal a bit. You might want to start farming/crafting better gear before tackling that next planet node on Uranus or Phobos. Honestly, I'm just hanging back atm and building up my arsenal of weapons and mods before tackling the higher level planets.

Its just as Agent_CHAR says.

If you are having trouble with mid game (25+) I would suggest few more points to look over. They may apply to you, or they may not, its for you to judge.

Many new or less new players still die alot only because they get hit alot. To prevent this:

1) learn to ALWAYS move. Run, use jumps and bullet jumps and even when you are shooting, be on the move. This makes you much harder to hit by the enemies since they get a penalty to accuracy when you are performing all the free-running hijinx. I know its tempting to stop and aim for that perfect headshot, but while you are aiming, the enemies are through your shields and deep into your health.

2) get all the neccessery mods. This of course means defensive mods like Vitality and Redirection, BUT in Warframe maybe even more useful are the offensive mods. Live by the maxim that the best defense is a good offense. Kill them before they can kill you. Some of these are (for Primary weapon) Serration, Heavy Caliber, Split Chamber, (for crit weapon like the Soma also Point Strike and Vital Sense) + all the elemental mods. If oyu dont have them, check where they drop and go there.

Small tip 1: Get your Power efficiency up asap. allows you more skill spamming - more on this in 4)

Small tip 2: The more exotic/rare mods like Split Chamber can be obtained from Void containers (breakable boxes). So go to T1 missions and break all the boxes you can find, since they can drop ANY mods (or none, but thats rng). (except Corrupted mods)

3)learn to use your melee weapon. Not many newer players realize, that using your melee weapon is sometimes much less risky than keeping your distance. Also, melee weapons are much easier to mod out fully then your primary or secondary. Just equip Preasure Point, Fury, and all the elemental mods you have. Almost any melee weapon with a Catalyst and all of these mods (which drop very often, so you probably have them all), can kill all mid level enemies 25+ in 1-2 hits. Also it never runs out of ammo :D :D

4)embrace all the CC you can get. Starting mid game Crowd control get reeeeeeeeeealy important. So dont use your Rhino just for Iron Skin, but learn to use Charge and Stomp as well. Stomp is an excelent ability which can stun whole rooms of enemies. This of course means you can shoot/slice/bash/gut... them without fear of them doing the same to you. So use your CCs often.

5)if you have trouble completing missions solo, join a public game. I know what people say, that Pub groups are useless, but dont believe that (unless its spy).

I had the same problem as well. The excalibur was being shredded.

I like to run survival missions, so I got a lot of mods and credits from the survival mission on Mercury. I upgraded all mods that are being used as much as possible.

Go back and complete all the missions on Mercury, including the archwing mission. Finish the archwing quest if you haven't and craft it. Nightmare missions will start to show up on Mercury. They are not too bad and drop good dual stat mods. (I hate archwing combat and I'm at a planet that's covered with just that :/)

Getting Rhino and applying a reactor to him was a huge improvement over excalibur. His Iron skin is an amazing extra shield. It also stops him from being knocked down or dragged by enemies. I build with extra armor and vigor mod (from the nightmare mission) and mods that improve iron skin. I use his ultimate mostly to stop enemies when I need to revive someone.

Buy the Sonicor weapon if you can because it's a great sidearm. You will need to do void missions for argon mats. I like doing the sabatoge T1 because of the caches and argons usually drop. Becareful, these missions have boss fights and mobs spawn endlessly. I like to take my time solo and loot everything.

Save credits for a sentinal which can be modded to help you, like shield restore or stun mobs. The blueprints can be bought on the market. Look on the wiki to see which one you would like.

I haven't really found a primary weapon I liked yet for mass murder. It's funny that they are called primary weapons because there are more secondary weapons, and even more melee weapons lol. I feel like the devs are neglecting primary weapons.

Learn to move fast. That will make you a harder target to hit and close the gap to your target faster. I changed the shift key to crouch/slide (hold). This way bullet jump was easier to pull off. Much better than dodge because you can shoot/reload during bullet jump, and go faster than a regular dodge. I press the shift key (crouch/slide) and then space key (jump) quickly in succession, and you can do it again in mid air and increase your speed.