Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt needs QoL and Synergy not a Full Rework

Kinetos

Some people want to change Volt so he is really an alternative to gunplay, but I think he is in a really good spot already and doesn't need a full rework, mainly QoL improvements and a new description text that better fits his current role. 

He is a highly Tactical frame, he can buff his team in mobility, melee speed, gun damage can quickly throw down strong defensive positions,  and provides some cc.

I love everything about his current set of powers. They just need tweaking, not replacing. 

Note on ability Electric procs :

All of his abilities are capable of proccing eflectricity, whether directly or by weapon damage type boost, but the duration of the proc isn't long enough. so for all abilities, scale electric proc duration with duration mods. 

This isn't a passive, it's for all of his active abilities and I'm listing this once instead of under each ability. 

Also, electric procs to already procced enemies should refresh the duration instead of being ignored. 

Passive:

innate Lightning Dash. It fits Volt's particular theme combination of electricity and mobility.

Shock

like Landslide, Rhino Charge, and Ripline, reduce cost and increase damage when quickly recasting.

Allows it to be used more often and scales up the damage. 

Speed:

Take away the FOV change or make it optional. Fov and motion blur aren't needed to make volt feel fast, and blur can be disabled in options. Fov changes can be nauseating. 

Let it affect reload speed, holster speed, knock down recovery, and ability cast speed. 

casting while active should refresh the duration, like Toxic Lash. 

Electric Shield

Damage boost should scale on strength mods. 

Increase weapon status chance. 

Enemies that touch Electric Shield should be Electric procced. 

Remove the slit from the middle of the shield. If it's actually a hole, that's bad and should be fixed. But either way it's a visual distraction.

Make Electric Shield targetable by Shock and Overload, and amplifies their damage or extends their range. Running through a shield with Speed active could further increase the speed boost and increase the damage done by Shocking Speed. 

Overload:

First off, I am completely against replacing Overload with an Exalted Blade or World on Fire/Firequake clone. These abilities are too easy to just activate and keep up forever, and they can be painful to watch and listen to for a long time, and they aren't necessary to increase volt's power level. The existing power I would accept a clone of is Tempest Barrage if overload were to be changed. 

Leave it how it is mostly, but with the earlier mentioned proc duration modification, that will help it be more effective cc. 

Increased damage by overload to Electric procced enemies, including enemies procced by the first overload pulse. 

Add to the environmental objects that volt can chain and amp damage from, and consumed environmental objects regenerated over time.

Stat changes:

A little better base sprint speed

A little more armor in the non Prime 

Volt just needs a few tweaks to his abilities, not completely new ones. 

Edited by KinetosImpetus
Added base stat tweaks, ES status chance, formating, other

• 4 weeks later...

TL:DR

QoL: elec procs can be reapplied while still active, last longer with duration (you do know the stun is a set duration right? The rest of the proc is there to prevent stunlocking)

Passive: lightning dash (there really isn't too much else that'd be worthwile)

-shock is already perfect, just add the recast thing (I agree completely)

-speed has players able to choose if they want its FoV change, affects everything it should affect but doesn't yet for some obscure reason (I like the FoV, recastability would help a lot, needs some synergies though)

-electric shield buffs shocking speed damage and elec procs enemies that come into contact with it (shouldn't synergise with augment only, rest is fine)

-overload should not be some toggled drain ability that lasts forever (YES, a toggled drain would hurt volt so much, because he's a lot more fun to play if you spam  his powers a lot)

My own suggestions: have shocking speed be innate and make the augment allow for elec proc stacking with this ability only, shield trades it's duration with speed when run through (for volt only) and casting shock through the shield increases its damage and amount of chains.

16 minutes ago, (PS4)JeDi-_xStaRzZ said:

Fire goes threw Volts shield which is quite annoying

AoE in general does, I'm assuming it's more of a coding issue than intentional. I always work aroud it by placing extra shields at a safe distance.

He needs more than just a few changes. Volt needs a reliable way to deal with sortie level enemies that does not center around hiding in a corner behind one of his shields at all times. Even Frost allows for far more active and mobile playstyles compared to Volt against sortie level enemies because Frost has good reliable crowd control.

I take Volt when I need to run lets say an Extermination mission. He is really good for speed runs. Apart from that I only take Volt if I want to make a mission more challenging than it would be otherwise. Volt has the power to make nearly every mission challenging^^

volt electric proc should kill robotic instantly except for heavy unit like bursa, fusion moa, and oxium osprey, like they have better resistor in them. and since corpus has electronic shield generator on their body, it should kill their shield and destroy the generator as well just like what volt electric proc does to hellion jet pack.

@----Fenrir---- I remember this triton pug I did a few days ago, we went for quite a while (enemies got to about lvl 90 before we bailed). I believe we had a frost, me as volt and 2 other frames that weren't mag. At the end of the mission it turned out half of all damage came from me, as well as almost all the revives, I only went down once in total at the end of the mission because it was faster to extract that way. I took down my fair share of bursas, provided defence and quick stuns while acting as a decoy so the rest of my team could move to the next excavator more easily.

Using the war and a shocking speed build on volt, primary andsecondary were being levelled.

Also on a side note: all grineer should have robotics/machinery split with cloned flesh for health, to make them slightly vulnerable to elec dmg and for realism.

1 hour ago, ----Fenrir---- said:

He needs more than just a few changes. Volt needs a reliable way to deal with sortie level enemies that does not center around hiding in a corner behind one of his shields at all times. Even Frost allows for far more active and mobile playstyles compared to Volt against sortie level enemies because Frost has good reliable crowd control.

I take Volt when I need to run lets say an Extermination mission. He is really good for speed runs. Apart from that I only take Volt if I want to make a mission more challenging than it would be otherwise. Volt has the power to make nearly every mission challenging^^

I never find volt unreliable at sortie even raid. its just matter of your habit of playing, if you're used to press panic button to survive instead of being tactical then you won't find volt reliable.

everytime I go to sortie survival that comes with melee only condition I never see myself below Valkyr and Excalibur in melee contest with Volt.

In triton, I was teamed up with frost, he saw me put 3 shields around excavator and left It to take care other excavator, the duration is almost 70 secs. then I came back after other excavator finished and the one I left behind is still there not destroyed. frost on my team didn't want to lose and did the same but the excavator he left is destroyed because enemies can enter snow globe and shoot at excavator, tbh it was a lol moment. but with electric shield I can put electric shield so close to excavator that even the shortest range of enemy attack can't damage excavator except shockwave moa  stomp which is only deal low damage and melee, but no enemy in triton use melee unless there is loki join volt team and ruin his moment with radial disarm. in the end my volt carry everyone instead of frost.