The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gorgon: How to improve?

NKDG

(Note: I posted this sometime in November, but my words fell on deaf ears due to constant change in my opinions, finally settling on this as what I would want to see happen to the line.

Point: There is a reason you probably have seen this before. Also, this final draft contained a bit of salt, and I'm too lazy to pick it out. Fair warning.)

I love my gorgons, I've put multiple forma into all three of them and the original gorgon is my 3rd most used primary ingame(to sobek and paris p). I take my original gorgon to sorties as one of my only true means of fun left ingame. However, it lacks the small oomph that could bring it to an exponentially higher amount of fun ingame. No. No damage changes. No. No accuracy buffs. No. No fire rate buff. No. No stupid mechanics that are gaudy or feel tacked on. It just needs two numbers changed on each variant, then the weapons become more fun, but not game breaking or even necessarily a more viable choice in any way. Just more FUN, the reason people play games! FUN:

Increase the magazine and ammo capacity. For the regular gorgon, I would propose 1050 max ammo and 150 mag capacity for the regular gorgon and 180 mag capacity and 1260 ammo for the variants (surprise, I think wraith should have same ammo/mag capacity as prisma). This would allow them to be slower bullet hoses, would negate the need for more damage, and make them feel like true lmgs that can just fire a ton of bullets everywhere. 
No it wouldn't bring the gorgon to god tier or even cause it to compete with the supra, but the gorgons don't need to do either of those. They're just fun weapons that need just a tiny tweak to justify the fun/usability ratio.

TL:DR set ammo/mag capacity to 1050/150 to reg and 1260/180 to both variants.

Edited by NKDG

13 minutes ago, Herosupport said:

the distribution to the damage types could also be tweaked to do less impact and more damage to the other types;

12.5 impact, 6.25 puncture, 6.25 slash this would be nice

I personally don't mind that the impact is heavily weighted (means corrosive fire is a better balance since more shields go down), but I wouldn't mind a better ips balance either.

More ammo max doesn't ever matter. When it becomes relevant, it's also immediately irrelevant because you're relying on pickups from then onwards.

Gorgon family does need more damage. I say that as someone who mained the original Gorgon for a long time, just as you did. It has a Catalyst in it. Then my buddy who I joined with got the Soma and it was basically what's the point from there because it did more with two mods than my Gorgon did potatoed and stuffed full of mods. With a better ammo efficiency, accuracy, reload speed and everything else to go with it.

I took my Prisma Gorgon to an exterminate alert yesterday and couldn't even get through half the mission before it was out, the damage is just too terrible. I mean seriously. If a special weapon it took a few hundred Ducats and a few hundred-thousand credits to acquire can't even handle something on the star chart on its own, what's the point?

The Supra got its buff in update 17:

• Buffed reload speed to 3 seconds.
  • Increased ammo capacity to 1080.
  • Increased clip capacity to 180.
  • Increased base damage per shot from 35 to 45.

Whereas the Gorgons are still lacking:

• Normal Gorgon 4.2 reload, Prisma/Wraith same at 3 seconds
  • Ammo cap 540 base/Wraith, 840 Prisma
  • Clip cap 90 base/Wraith, 120 Prisma
  • Base/Prisma 25 base damage, Wraith 27 base damage

It's pathetic. The Supra struggles to match up to the Soma, much less Soma Prime. Even the 'advanced' Gorgons don't come close to any of them.

13 hours ago, EDYinnit said:

More ammo max doesn't ever matter. When it becomes relevant, it's also immediately irrelevant because you're relying on pickups from then onwards.

Gorgon family does need more damage. I say that as someone who mained the original Gorgon for a long time, just as you did. It has a Catalyst in it. Then my buddy who I joined with got the Soma and it was basically what's the point from there because it did more with two mods than my Gorgon did potatoed and stuffed full of mods. With a better ammo efficiency, accuracy, reload speed and everything else to go with it.

I took my Prisma Gorgon to an exterminate alert yesterday and couldn't even get through half the mission before it was out, the damage is just too terrible. I mean seriously. If a special weapon it took a few hundred Ducats and a few hundred-thousand credits to acquire can't even handle something on the star chart on its own, what's the point?

The Supra got its buff in update 17:

Whereas the Gorgons are still lacking:

• Normal Gorgon 4.2 reload, Prisma/Wraith same at 3 seconds
  • Ammo cap 540 base/Wraith, 840 Prisma
  • Clip cap 90 base/Wraith, 120 Prisma
  • Base/Prisma 25 base damage, Wraith 27 base damage

It's pathetic. The Supra struggles to match up to the Soma, much less Soma Prime. Even the 'advanced' Gorgons don't come close to any of them.

Aight I have 2 guesses from that...

A: there's no forma in your build (my prisma has a nice 3 forma crit build, even though I prefer my 5 forma regular). Gorgon and its variants are incredibly ineffective without at least a few forma, and yes, you have to run a straight dmg build to get that effective, but even at high levels it's a reliable trashmob killer. 

B: you were holding down fire instead of burst firing(something this current gorgon CANNOT do without being out of ammo halfway through the mission). This is what I aim to fix by buffing the ammo/mag capacity. Doing more damage will prolly achieve the same desired effect of having ammo through the whole mission, but as stated in the OP, that's no fun. Adding longer time to shoot? That's fun.

Also, gorgon doesn't have to compete with supra/soma imo, as it feels distinctly different and it's an MR3 weapon as opposed to MR6 or 7. It was never meant to be that high dmg meta weapon, it's just a bucket of fun. Also, more damage won't fare that much better than more mag, cause well, damage falls off too. 

Edited by NKDG

6 hours ago, NKDG said:

Aight I have 2 guesses from that...

A: there's no forma in your build (my prisma has a nice 3 forma crit build, even though I prefer my 5 forma regular). Gorgon and its variants are incredibly ineffective without at least a few forma, and yes, you have to run a straight dmg build to get that effective, but even at high levels it's a reliable trashmob killer. 

B: you were holding down fire instead of burst firing(something this current gorgon CANNOT do without being out of ammo halfway through the mission). This is what I aim to fix by buffing the ammo/mag capacity. Doing more damage will prolly achieve the same desired effect of having ammo through the whole mission, but as stated in the OP, that's no fun. Adding longer time to shoot? That's fun.

Also, gorgon doesn't have to compete with supra/soma imo, as it feels distinctly different and it's an MR3 weapon as opposed to MR6 or 7. It was never meant to be that high dmg meta weapon, it's just a bucket of fun. Also, more damage won't fare that much better than more mag, cause well, damage falls off too. 

w/r/t A: True enough, but I expect a special-tier weapon to clear out starchart-tier enemies without needing to stuff it full of Forma.

w/r/t B: My fire accuracy was a reasonably solid 86%. As long as I'm making the majority of bullets count on enemies, it doesn't matter what style of firing I was doing (although for the record, yes, I was using bursts because I'm not fool enough to spray wildly and complain that ammo economy sucks)

Mastery Rank requirements are obsolete and have next to nothing to do with the power grade of a weapon. Sonicor MR2, AOE monster of a sidearm with top-tier capabilities for CC and solid damage. Tonkor only requires MR5, and we all know how utterly broken that is.

MR6 and MR12 Syndicate weapons are disparate in power levels between one another.

Damage might fall off, but you aren't picking up extra damage throughout your mission, nor can you deploy a Damage Restore pad to assuage the problem of tougher enemies needing more work to bring down. Once your max ammo becomes relevant by eating into it, it's also ultimately useless because you're already relying on pickups and restores to keep going.

Mag size I wouldn't mind an improvement on though, we've all heard the Grineer Heavies shooting 3000 rounds per reload.

Maybe the family could get a Syndicate augment to even the playing field a bit? Steel Meridian are ex-Grineer, I could see a Justice mod fitting nicely on the Gorgons. Supra has one that gives it some very useful base status chance to go with its beefy damage (at the cost of projectile traveltime).

Maybe an Overheat mechanic like the sentinel Fired Up mod? Better damage after spooling up if you can keep a chain of bursts going?

Gorgon

Acc: 16

Ammo: 120/840

Damage: 16impact

5 slash

5 puncture

Gorgon Wraith

Acc:18

Ammo: 120/960

Damage: 18impact

6 slash/puncture

Gorgon Prisma

Acc: 20

Ammo: 150/1080

Damage: 20impact

7slash/puncture. 

cuz why the heck not.  And why the hell does this new forum double space everything?  dear god.

Edited by KnightCole