The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon Right Now

tedbearr

Question

So guys, I made Oberon just for mastery fodder, but the more I think of Oberon the more I want to keep him afterwards for some reason. How is he in higher level missions, and how do I play him if I want to spend time with him after level 30 and possibly potato him? I know everyone makes fun of Oberon and says he is bad and stuff but are there any Oberon players out there that could give me some advice?

7 answers to this question

Oberon is a jack of most trades, master of none. His own damage can fall off pretty heavily in the end-game, but he can give his team mates a powerful boost with his Smite augment. He has the unique ability of giving team members status proc immunity with Hallowed Ground, which can come in handy in certain missions; the bonus armor it bestows is pretty nifty. He can also apply a radiation proc to a large group of enemies using Reckoning, essentially functioning as a weaker Nyx. If your team's suffering, you can hand out some health regen to soften the hurt and slow down bleedout timers.

Like I said, he's not as weak as some people make him out to be. He just doesn't excel enough in any category to evoke much praise.

7 minutes ago, Nitresco said:

Oberon is a jack of most trades, master of none. His own damage can fall off pretty heavily in the end-game, but he can give his team mates a powerful boost with his Smite augment. He has the unique ability of giving team members status proc immunity with Hallowed Ground, which can come in handy in certain missions; the bonus armor it bestows is pretty nifty. He can also apply a radiation proc to a large group of enemies using Reckoning, essentially functioning as a weaker Nyx. If your team's suffering, you can hand out some health regen to soften the hurt and slow down bleedout timers.

Like I said, he's not as weak as some people make him out to be. He just doesn't excel enough in any category to evoke much praise.

This

Modify him to fit whatever role you have designed for him. Kinda how Nekros could either be the farmer's choice or a summoner with good cc and tanking built right, Oberon can dish his support out in various ways, such as sniping a heavy gunner with smite so that her allies turn on her, increasing defense for allies, healing your allies, or providing moderate cc in the form of mass radiation.

I'm playing Oberon as my main frame for a while, but since I'm not doing sorties and raids I'm not sure if I can count as efficient player. My build is mostly around survivability. This frame is not too tanky, but still good for people who are more into standing their ground than doing parkour combat.

I'm an Oberon main and I play him as CC/support because his damage really falls off late game. He's kind of like a nyx with a touch of trinity. The radiation procs from smite and reckoning are really helpful against higher level enemies and healing abilities are always greatly appreciated in missions. With his augments, his play style can be expanded even further, allowing for multiple possibilities to use him in higher level missions. 

32 minutes ago, Nitresco said:

Pretty much this. If you play a balanced build that smite augment can be more useful than most people think. It applies to any allies you hit and will still have the orbs go everywhere, you can buff other tenno, spectres, kubrows, sentinels, and any other minions (I haven't experimented with mind controlled things, or shadows of the dead). Radiation damage is often underestimated but can shine in the void and against grineer.

For my Playstyle as a team support with him, I run with an increase to duration and strength (only 165% str) but it gives a nice long buff. The hallowed ground is good for clearing status effects, but don't expect a free pass when fighting infested with it, their status effects are wonky to say the least, so tar, toxin cloud, and spores will ignore the status cleanse/buff. The armor from it is percentage base but it can definitely help any frame with decent base armor. I would not advise his Hallowed reckoning augment, yes it does increase armor by a hefty base(generally enough to reduce incoming damage by 30%), but it's very very limited in application. The little patches of ground are very small, the enemy must have been killed by reckoning, and allies will only get the buff while standing directly in the tiny little circle.

That said, he requires some TLC and is possibly going to get a little bit of rework. He's a solid support choice in a good team, but is fairly limited in his "meta" options (something I don't care much about, but some do).

It ultimately comes down to your playstyle and if he's right for you, but he does very well with poltergeisting a frame. (taking a caster with shade or huras) Always remember that casting abilities doesn't break the stealth granted by companions.