Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts the Promtheans in Halo

-Tzek4-

I will admit i have a bias, i was introduced to the first halo from when i was waaay younger by a cousin and i grew to adore the franchise. one big thought always came up, what would it be like to fight the forunners? they posses more? powerful plasma weapons id assume based on the lasers used by the sentinels/monitor and the weird needler/rockets from the enforcers. not to mention the VERY damaging plasma/laser cutter used by the little roaming drones that look like a flying plasma pistol.

When i first saw halo 4 coming out i was wondering whats with the forunner weapons, when i first saw that Promethean knight and it splitting open its helmet i derped, not to mentioned he transformer like animations for the dropped weapons. To me looking back i really liked the Promethean theme, a side faction with its unique variant on forunner gear. i especially love the digital/reincarnation/resurrection they do with the composer. although i wont be able to enjoy the newer games i certainly still love the fact these things are truly the "best" way to combat the flood.

messy but i recently got back into halo, and wanted to hear peoples thoughts on their design/ if people liked the direction they took.

8h6AMGb.jpg

Edited by -Fruiticus_Delicus-
errors/fails

2 hours ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:

I detest the Prometheans. They're a blight on the franchise, everything about them is irritating, along with them just being a cop-out so 343 could add something 'new' to the franchise. 

What about them do you detest/ think is a cop-out? i know alot of people seemed to hate anything halo when bungie ditched it for destiny?

1 hour ago, -Fruiticus_Delicus- said:

What about them do you detest/ think is a cop-out? i know alot of people seemed to hate anything halo when bungie ditched it for destiny?

For starters they're just not fun to fight. Covenant are fun to fight, the Flood are fun to fight, Prometheans are a drag to fight. The Watchers with their ability to throw your grenades back at you, and revive Knights, "like, no, I killed you, stay dead". Crawlers with their incessant derp-melee and some with the goddamn binary rifles, 343 was probably like "CoD has dogs... LET'S MAKE DOGS!" And the Knights, they wouldn't be so bad, if it weren't for the fact that they teleport every time you do 1 point of damage, makes a fight that should be 4 seconds, take 40. 

Really, 343, that is what you came up with for a new faction? Dogs, birds, and bipeds? It's a cop-out because if they didn't do anything new, people would complain, so to 'contribute' they made Prometheans, marking the first time you fight the Forerunners... Until halfway through the game when you find out the Prometheans are just composed humans. Maybe that was to make you hate the Didact more, maybe it was to feel sympathy for your new enemy, maybe neither. But what I felt was "wow, you couldn't even give us real Forerunner enemies. You couldn't even make them fun. You took a good idea, made it weak, and made them irritating." Then they're miraculously back in Halo 5, even though the Prometheans all should/would have been destroyed when Requiem was sucked into its sun.

Bungie did not ditch Halo, their contract with Microsoft was up, and they had their differences. Microsoft owns the name Halo, not Bungie. ODST and Reach were made because Microsoft practically forced Bungie to make more money for Microsoft games, it should have ended with 3. It was supposed to end with 3. I love Halo, and I'll still play it despite 343 taking it over a cliff.

6 hours ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:

For starters they're just not fun to fight. Covenant are fun to fight, the Flood are fun to fight, Prometheans are a drag to fight. The Watchers with their ability to throw your grenades back at you, and revive Knights, "like, no, I killed you, stay dead". Crawlers with their incessant derp-melee and some with the goddamn binary rifles, 343 was probably like "CoD has dogs... LET'S MAKE DOGS!" And the Knights, they wouldn't be so bad, if it weren't for the fact that they teleport every time you do 1 point of damage, makes a fight that should be 4 seconds, take 40. 

Really, 343, that is what you came up with for a new faction? Dogs, birds, and bipeds? It's a cop-out because if they didn't do anything new, people would complain, so to 'contribute' they made Prometheans, marking the first time you fight the Forerunners... Until halfway through the game when you find out the Prometheans are just composed humans. Maybe that was to make you hate the Didact more, maybe it was to feel sympathy for your new enemy, maybe neither. But what I felt was "wow, you couldn't even give us real Forerunner enemies. You couldn't even make them fun. You took a good idea, made it weak, and made them irritating." Then they're miraculously back in Halo 5, even though the Prometheans all should/would have been destroyed when Requiem was sucked into its sun.

Bungie did not ditch Halo, their contract with Microsoft was up, and they had their differences. Microsoft owns the name Halo, not Bungie. ODST and Reach were made because Microsoft practically forced Bungie to make more money for Microsoft games, it should have ended with 3. It was supposed to end with 3. I love Halo, and I'll still play it despite 343 taking it over a cliff.

hmmm to me it just seem like you dont like the company/bias? because i didnt have the incredible difficulty you had fighting them. i thought it was rather funny to trick watchers into throwing it into a knight or a wall near it.

10 hours ago, -Fruiticus_Delicus- said:

hmmm to me it just seem like you dont like the company/bias? because i didnt have the incredible difficulty you had fighting them. i thought it was rather funny to trick watchers into throwing it into a knight or a wall near it.

You asked for my thoughts, I gave you my thoughts.

Well, you're not missing much from not playing the new game. As for the prometheans, they are not what i expected them to be before Halo 4. I expected some highly intelligent beings, forerunners, protectors of the galaxy... that kind of thing. The Didact was, interesting. And all the lore we had in Halo 4 about the war between the old humans and the forerunners was very interesting too. It's a shame the recent campaign sucked so much.

But yeah, i guess forerunners and prometheans are 2 different things, not sure. But they looked like robots and even more in Halo 5, which i disliked so much.

Edited by Stoner74
Clarification

5 hours ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:

You asked for my thoughts, I gave you my thoughts.

ok....... ..... i say on one point i thought the crawlers where dumb, fitting a binary rifle into thier head

3 hours ago, Stoner74 said:

Well, you're not missing much from not playing the new game. As for the prometheans, they are not what i expected them to be before Halo 4. I expected some highly intelligent beings, forerunners, protectors of the galaxy... that kind of thing. The Didact was, interesting. And all the lore we had in Halo 4 about the war between the old humans and the forerunners was very interesting too. It's a shame the recent campaign sucked so much.

But yeah, i guess forerunners and prometheans are 2 different things, not sure. But they looked like robots and even more in Halo 5, which i disliked so much.

i kind of saw the new Promethean soldiers and dropship and those im starting to dislike. interestingly in reality we have not fought the forunners, just a subdivision/ of their military.

15 hours ago, -Fruiticus_Delicus- said:

ok....... ..... i say on one point i thought the crawlers where dumb, fitting a binary rifle into thier head

Also about that company/bias thing, yeah, I don't like the Prometheans, 343 made them, so of course I'm going to blame them for making garbage enemies.

13 hours ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

I like the designs, the idea behind them, and 343 trying to inject a new species to fight.

But, they just suck at being fun to fight against.  And next to the character of the Covenant it's way to obvious on how much they suck and how badly that suckitude is. 

Because literally as ive seen its like the community got super divided on bungies stuff and 343 stuff. story wise all of it fits and is even hinted too in halo 3's hidden consoles.

8 hours ago, -Fruiticus_Delicus- said:

Because literally as ive seen its like the community got super divided on bungies stuff and 343 stuff. story wise all of it fits and is even hinted too in halo 3's hidden consoles.

Lolwut? None of the terminals mention composers or humans being turned into garbage robots.

22 hours ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:

Lolwut? None of the terminals mention composers or humans being turned into garbage robots.

never said it did? Expanding on the librarians backstory and creating diverse sects as hinted in different halo installations and forunner domains. the story fits and the Promethean are leaning into the librarians backstory.

8 hours ago, -Fruiticus_Delicus- said:

never said it did? Expanding on the librarians backstory and creating diverse sects as hinted in different halo installations and forunner domains. the story fits and the Promethean are leaning into the librarians backstory.

Oh, so you mean "they're being ret-con'd into the Librarians backstory."