Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it wise to buy Razer gears or not (regarding privacy)?

White_Raven

I'm considering buying a gaming mouse in the future and today i come a cross this old-news (boo hoo frog in a well): http://www.overclock.net/t/1323093/razer-razer-synapse-2-0-used-for-always-on-data-mining

I gotta admit i didnt read all of that but what i can pull out is in 2012 Razer released a mouse that required Internet connection to be used, and that open up for data mining and sh*t like that. I have an Orbweaver for myself and currently using Synapse but i have never thought about privacy issue with Razer untill today when my weekly virus scan reported 2 adware threats relating to Razer Synapse.

I know these things are not really related but they have something to do with privacy. Now the issue was back in 2012 and people were having problem to use the mouse offline but it has been 4 years since. I wonder in that time Razer has fixed any of there problems or not. I'm really confused right now cause i dont know if i still can trust them. So i have a couple of questions that i need answers for:

- Can i still use Razer gears without worrying about my own privacy?

- Is it wise to choose Razer gears (regarding privacy, quality,...) in the future?

- Is Razer the only company using cloud backup  in their programs that could open up for data mining?

- If Razer is not good, then i would like some recommendation for a gaming mouse for FPS game. I don't really need anything with top quality cause i'm not that hardcore for a gamer, just a decent one would be good.

Sorry if my post is confusing in some point, i'm not a good writer and English is my second language.

Edited by White_Raven

I've always been a logitech guy when it comes to mouse and keyboard, had my mouse for nearly 3 years now and I haven't had any issues with it or the software.

In general, any hardware that requires an internet connection to use is spying on you. Simple as that. 

There are ways to get around that sort of thing by changing registry entries to redirect stuff to local.host but messing with that can get icky if you don't know what you are doing. 

3 hours ago, Sixty5 said:

I've always been a logitech guy when it comes to mouse and keyboard, had my mouse for nearly 3 years now and I haven't had any issues with it or the software.

In general, any hardware that requires an internet connection to use is spying on you. Simple as that. 

There are ways to get around that sort of thing by changing registry entries to redirect stuff to local.host but messing with that can get icky if you don't know what you are doing. 

Ok, so i have gone offline on Synapse since yesterday, no issue yet. The Stats & Heatmaps feature, which people said that it was literally a keylogger, is not activated. I don't use my keypad for typing, so i think that i should be safe enough. Well, i think my time with Razer has come to an end then.