Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How does the chat system in this game work?

zulu1310

Question

I made a post earlier about getting my chat to work on college internet and I apologize if this comes across as spamming the boards, but I haven't gotten any help with the problem and I'd really like to have access to chat functionality.

Anyway, the problem is that, while matchmaking and game connectivity on my university network is fine, chat does not work at all. I get the standard blank popup with a loading circle in the top left corner. Now, i've played the game on other networks such as the one at my house, and the chat functionality is fine, so i'm fairly certain that the problem is neither the game, nor my account.

Now, i've heard that the chat system in this game is run through a separate service and not through the actual game, which makes sense given that the game runs absolutely fine. What i'd like to know is:

- How can I determine what ports the chat system is using

- What is the actual service or protocol used, does it use IRC? something proprietary?

- Has anyone else had this problem, and did you manage to fix it? if so, how?

Any help would be much appreciated, i've seen a few other people with this problem, and having no access to recruiting/trade chat really hampers the experience of this game.

3 answers to this question

Hiya, As far as i know the game uses the udp ports 3960 & 3962, however the like other IRC chat servers it uses tcp port 6667, check to see if thats open, maybe its that, also check to make sure your firewall isnt somehow blocking it for some reason. 

Edited by Sinwars

First of all, I appreciate the help.

I guess that brings up another question, if the ports for chat are blocked, or if the IRC server running chat is blocked by a firewall or something similar, would I actually be able to see the packets/ports?

I checked which ports warframe is currently using, and I'm seeing 5 open ports, The two UDP ports are used by the game, and I know I can change them in the settings, but i'm not seeing TCP port 6667 anywhere.

Wrgc1pN.png