The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

PC turns off on Warframe

Latiac

Title says it all, Sometimes I can play a single mission, sometimes I can't. It usually happens when I go to my arsenal, the pc just turns off all of a sudden, I've eliminated overheating since the game is open for less than a minute at times.

It's been happening alot more since the Sand of Inaros update, It went from a small issue once every few weeks after countless hours of playing to a once every few minutes issue.

I've contacted support but would really like to try and work to solve this while waiting for a reply.

It's only Warframe (Civ V and MW2 on pc to a lesser degree that do this) and that's it. all other games work 100% fine without any performance issues.

My specs are as follows:

AMD FX-8350 processor

Nvidia GTX 970

8gb RAM

Do you run any overclocks? Do you have V-sync enabled? Is your RAM fine? etc. etc. Games generally run through windows, which is why you normally see "Windows has Recovered" when something goes wrong. If your system is shutting down then windows isn't getting that chance which would indicate hardware troubles.

Common issue people have with Warframe is assuming that (because it's not intensive) it's fine to run the game without V-sync. For my 8320 (4.2Ghz OC) running without V-sync can increase CPU temps ~10C just in the liset alone.

Another thing to consider is your Power Supply, or the components related to delivering power. The FX chips are quite power thirsty chips, and can hit your system quite hard - This is exacerbated if you aren't using some sort of frame-rate limiter an allowing the system to run away rendering useless frames as you just increase power draw across the entire system, which further hits the PSU. What wattage is the power supply? Do you have a spare to test with?

EDIT:
Addendum, is the PC "rebooting" or "shutting down"? The latter highly indicates hardware troubles. The former may be something DE can help with since Windows can log it.

Edited by MillbrookWest

nvidia has released new drivers 364.72 (aka Oculus Rift VR drivers) which fixes some issues that previous driver had (aka vulkan api driver that was released about same time as sands of inaros update). Fixed issues among others are: blank screen, random crashes, bsod's, nvlddmkm and nvspcap64.dll issues and so on.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/364.72/364.72-win10-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf

• 1 month later...

Hi all -

I know "me too" posts are not terribly useful, but I have been experiencing this exact issue. I am commenting because we both have the same graphics card, and I am running the drivers posted above.

I can offer the following: the PC does not "shut down" correctly, it simply black screens and then reboots. Windows logs it as "Windows did not shut down correctly" with no other supporting information in the reliability log. I have run CPU and GPU stress tests and neither revealed any temperature issues, even at maximum load. My PC did not crash from these tests either, so I am inclined to discount any power supply issues.

I'm about to run a memtest to eliminate that as a possibility as well, but since this doesn't happen with any games but Warframe, I think its safe to say its a WF-specific issue.

My system:

i7-6700k, no overclocking

nVidia GTX 970 running driver version 364.72 (I first noticed the issue with 365.10, but downgraded in case it was that)

16GB RAM

WIndows 10 64bit

Hopefully this information is helpful to troubleshooters.

Quick update: memtest revealed nothing, but I have managed to solve the problem

I reinstalled WF to my SSD, it was previously on my hard drive. This means either: 1) reinstalling will fix the issue you're having OP, or 2) I have a failing HDD.

12 hours ago, TruthQuark said:

Quick update: memtest revealed nothing, but I have managed to solve the problem

I reinstalled WF to my SSD, it was previously on my hard drive. This means either: 1) reinstalling will fix the issue you're having OP, or 2) I have a failing HDD.

If you suspect about failing HDD you can check the S.M.A.R.T. and Health data for example with Crystal Disk Info.

The crashing issue I had was not related to warframe but with my computer. The crashes were not constant but rare. On every boot my motherboard automatic feature set the settings by itself and sometimes it went with slightly wrong values causing some issues. When I ran Windows Memory Diagnostics I got an error message stating I have fault in my Hardware. When I ran memtest and prime95 for memory - no problems. After getting a "Memory Management" bluescreen I finally figured out that the issue was with Memory Controlle.

Found some info from Tom's Hardware (a-lot of people suffer the same issue so it's partially pretty common on some motherboards and chips). I managed to solve the computer crashing issue permanently by increasing voltage by +0.05v on my DRAM. I use 4 memory modules 4GB each and total of 16GB. It stresses the memory controller chip more than having only 2 memory modules. <-- initial issue specially if you have wrong settings -- which are set if you use "automatic" on motherboard.

When I run only with 1 to 3 memory modules. No problem. But if I put the fourth in I got errors. Did the test with all Dimm slots, one memory module at a time to check if I had faulty DIMM slots. All were working properly.

Vb5TDGB.jpg

The reason for the instability was that my motherboard (Asus B85-PRO Gamer) was set to auto regarding DRAM which gave wrong frequency, CAS latency, Cycle Time and so on which inflicted the instability with the memory controller when all 4 memory modules were in (read: wrong settings). Regarding my motherboards manual the micron modules I use are supported. So setting the values to match the micron DRAM modules (values by the manufacturer) and increasing the voltage by +0.05 -- to the actual 1600 mhz frequency -- solved the problem.

By the time I was having these issues I thought to get 16 GB kit with 2 memory modules (8 GB) which stresses the MC less. But going with the right settings and values by the information manufacturers have given (manual/white papers etc), it was solved.

If anyone has problems with MC chip or Memory Management, I would advice to go to Tom's Hardware forums for further assist. Do not try to set the values by yourselves (specially voltages). Wrong or too high voltage settings may inflict damage your hardware and/or it might cause hardware instability.

RoOv94g.jpg

Edited by carnaga