Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Does The Vaccum From Breaking Windows Not Hurt Enemies At All?

marharth

I feel like it would be better if there was some actual reason to break windows. Right now if a window breaks it is just "Oh, opps. Accidently charged into that."

I feel like the vaccum should stagger or stun enemies, maybe even drag out low health enemies (would look cool). Probably not a good idea for that to apply to bosses or heavies.

Really? Never noticed that at all. It seems to hardly do anything to enemies but can rapidly drain sheilds for players. I still think it would be cool to have a stagger effect or have enemies be sucked out.

The same effect would be applied to players, though, and then you would get insane raging because of it. The last thing we need is more stuns, and getting sucked out would be an instant mission failure, which isn't good. Having that applied to enemies and not players makes no sense, either in reality or in the game.

I'd just like some increased damage against enemies.

Better yet, just have it do percentage damage over time instead of a set amount over time. That evens it out for lower and higher leveled enemies and players.

Edited by RyojinOrion

The same effect would be applied to players, though, and then you would get insane raging because of it. The last thing we need is more stuns, and getting sucked out would be an instant mission failure, which isn't good. Having that applied to enemies and not players makes no sense, either in reality or in the game.

I'd just like some increased damage against enemies.

Better yet, just have it do percentage damage over time instead of a set amount over time. That evens it out for lower and higher leveled enemies and players.

Well players have warframes that cover everything. Seems like it would be harder to stagger or suck out  a full body suit that is also incredibly mobile.

Still does need some kind of change, because causing the vaccum as of now is pointless.

Edited by marharth

Seems like it would be harder to stagger or suck out  a full body suit that is also incredibly mobile.

To me, it seems that a lighter and faster thing would be more susceptible than a heavy and slower thing. Isn't that basic physics; bigger, heavy things being harder to move than smaller, light things?

I made an idea in another topic about the vacuum to make it an interactive sequence. Instead of tripping a little and walking to a console to play the same mini game that's played in nearly every ship, why not make it an event? Whenever the glass is shot out, the player must either play a quick time event or button mash so that they can grip onto the surface of the room to stay in as the shutters slowly close. During this time there is a 50% chance for each enemy in the room to be sucked out into space (excluding bosses, they are immune). Makes things more interesting than playing with a console as shields drain.

To me, it seems that a lighter and faster thing would be more susceptible than a heavy and slower thing. Isn't that basic physics; bigger, heavy things being harder to move than smaller, light things?

Ya but you can wallrun for pretty long distances easily, it seems like a warframe can manage to "stick" to a surface without much trouble. Wallrunning isnt really possible like that just based on speed. They have better balance and stance for sure.

While warframes are faster and lighter they seem like they would have some kind of tech that would stop them from being seriously affected by a vaccum.

I mean right now a vaccum doesn't suck out anything. That doesn't make any sense. If it sucked out enemies only you could at least make up some kind of tenno tech excuse.

I made an idea in another topic about the vacuum to make it an interactive sequence. Instead of tripping a little and walking to a console to play the same mini game that's played in nearly every ship, why not make it an event? Whenever the glass is shot out, the player must either play a quick time event or button mash so that they can grip onto the surface of the room to stay in as the shutters slowly close. During this time there is a 50% chance for each enemy in the room to be sucked out into space (excluding bosses, they are immune). Makes things more interesting than playing with a console as shields drain.

Quick time events suck.  Not that it wouldn't be a unique experience, round about the time you get half way through the first qte for windows breaking, you would hate it.

As for the vacuum doing damage to enemies, players and enemies basically have different types of health.  You are doing far more damage to enemies then they are doing to you.  They have a lot more health, and the vacuum drains them at the same rate as it drains a player, so since they have so much more health it takes a lot longer for you to notice their life loss.

Best way to prove that it does take their life, gather a few ancients in one of those rooms, break the window from outside and hope that the door between you and it closes.  If the door does close, then just wait about 3 minutes and then do the hack.  The ancients will possibly still be alive but they should be much lower on life.

QTEs are terrible terrible mechanics. Not to mention they'll literally steal your controls while you risk getting shot by enemies that give no fucks about the vacuum.

Please no QTEs I hate them.

While warframes are faster and lighter they seem like they would have some kind of tech that would stop them from being seriously affected by a vaccum.

I mean right now a vaccum doesn't suck out anything. That doesn't make any sense. If it sucked out enemies only you could at least make up some kind of tenno tech excuse.

The way I see it, one way they could get around it is magnetic boots... But then why can't they just stand/walk on the walls? It doesn't make much sense. Jetpacks to have some thrust against the pull of the vacuum? Why can't that be used in the rest of the game then?

Excuses need to make sense in the game, and I can't think of one that does. If you can think of one, then I say the devs should go for it!

a quick time event or button mash

No. Nonononononono. No. QTE is NEVER a good idea, and it wouldn't fit at all with the current game mechanics. Having the broken window require you to do something else besides the same old hacking would be nice, but QTE is not the answer.

Edited by RyojinOrion

The reason the vacuum doesn't suck you out is the same reason why you can fall while in space.  Normally there would be no gravity or basically no up or down.  But we do actually have a down when on the ships.  The force of keeping us and the enemies on the ground is stronger then the pull of the vacuum, so we don't get sucked out.

I think the biggest problem is that enemies don't give two S#&$s about the vacuum. Crewmen and Grineer should panic and run away or something.

Well, they don't really have a reason to give a S#&$, ya know? It doesn't suck them out into space, and it doesn't do much in terms of damage unless they are very low leveled...

Being something of a master at using and causing hull breaches (My friends have even nicknamed my pistol 'Hull Breach' because of how many it causes by accident) I can add some insight and some suggestions.

Hull Breach Facts:

1)  Shooting out a window will automatically stagger everything in the same room when the breach occurs.  I'm not sure if it still staggers people immune to normal stagger effects, such as people swinging Momentum melee weapons.

2)  Causing a hull breach instantly locks the room down.  Solving the lockdown opens the room up and shuts the breach.

3)  Things in the same room as an active breach slowly take damage over time, at a rate that's something like 5 HP per second.  This starts with shields.

Hull Breach Suggestions:

1)  Make hull breach damage a percentage instead of a flat number.  Right now I don't really fear hull breaches because my Excalibur noobsuit has 460 shields, and unless I'm being shot at by half a dozen guys when I'm closing it I'm not really concerned about the breach damage since it won't go through my shields even if I sit there picking off everyone in the room first.  Additionally, lighter enemies like Corpus ospreys or Infested leapers should take damage faster than big, slow-moving guys like Grineer heavy gunners or Moas because they're not as securely anchored to the ground.

2)  Make regular guys have a chance to panic when a hull breach occurs.  Low-ranking guys probably aren't going to keep their heads when all the air in the room is being sucked out into space, but drones, heavy troops, robots, and infected probably aren't gonna care.

At the end of a mission when we fly away attatched to that "space ship shard thing", Tennos are exposed to vacuum (which obviously does not kill them).

So I'd suggest:

- no damage to Tennos at all, maybe add pull towards the breach

- pull light enemies (e.g. light Infested) right out of the ship

- add some damage to heavy units

Having that applied to enemies and not players makes no sense, either in reality or in the game.

I think it is more the vacuum takes away the air you breathe, and that is why it causes health damage. Perhaps Tenno, Corpus, Grineer and Infested weigh too much for the vacuum to suck them out?

But since Warframes are full-body suits it doesn't make sense that Tenno should lose health because of the oxygen being taken away (they evacuate..... into ...... space...... as it is at the end of every mission 'cept outpost missions).

However it DOES make sense for everything except Ospreys and MOAs to lose health; it doesn't look like Grineer or Corpus are wearing full-body suits.

So, IMO:

Vacuum should not hurt Tenno, but should do perhaps 5% health damage every 2-3 seconds to everything except Ospreys and MOAs. Roller Balls should instantly explode (they are probably light enough that they get sucked out).

Also, as small as those rooms are, the "suck out" phase should only last a couple seconds and once it does, there should be next to no sound in the room at all until you close the shutters. Jus' saying.

Edited by Xylia

I'd actually like to get sucked out and be able to walk on the outside of the ship, trying to find a hatch to get inside a secure non-breached section before I suffocate.

Of course that would require EXTENSIVE work to develop. But a man can dream!

At the end of a mission when we fly away attatched to that "space ship shard thing", Tennos are exposed to vacuum (which obviously does not kill them).

So I'd suggest:

- no damage to Tennos at all, maybe add pull towards the breach

- pull light enemies (e.g. light Infested) right out of the ship

- add some damage to heavy units

The hatch closes shortly after take-off protecting the Tenno.

A hull breach should briefly suck all air out of the room but after that it should be vacuum. Nothing getting sucked out nothing getting in. If enemies and players could hold on for that brief period they would still be able to be inside the ship.

Shielded units should receive less damage imo while after shield going down it should start to take chunks out of their health in percentages like someone mentioned above.

Edited by R3leaZ