Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will equipping sentinel affect leveling

--DSP--

Question

13 answers to this question

22 hours ago, --Valkyr said:

I think I found the real answer. If you equip a Sentinel (WIth or without weapon), and kill stuff yourself, you will get less EXP. 

But, if your teammate kill for you, you will get the same amount of XP as normal.

A nearby Tenno, but not the Companion's owner, kills an enemy. Affinity gained by the Companion does not detract from that gained by its owner.

I think this is the keyword "NOT THE COMPANION'S OWNER"

Therefore, if your teammate kill for you, you will get normal EXP while getting less EXP if you kill for your own, or your sentinel kill for you.

I don't see how you can select your own answer as a correct one when you're not even sure of it yourself...

The answer is:

Sentinels count as another entity but they only don't share with their owner, if they kill stuff, the exp is all theirs and to their weapon if they have any equipped. Otherwise, in no other way they will steal exp from you.

So if you equip a sentinel but no weapon on it, you're never going to lose any exp.

The thing about another player killing an enemy, when a squadmate kills an enemy that awards 100 affinity, you get 100 affinity divided 25% for frame, 75% divided by all weapons you got equipped (1~3) AND your sentinel gains another 100 affinity, divided by himself and weapon if he has one equipped.

Since you don't equip sentinel weapons, you got nothing to worry when leveling.

Edited by Manyc

If you want a thread closed you have to ask a CM or Admin to lock it, in this case I'm glad you didn't as you were misinformed.

8 hours ago, --Valkyr said:

This is the wiki quote  "A nearby Tenno, but not the Companion's owner, kills an enemy. Affinity gained by the Companion does not detract from that gained by its owner." (100% split for Sentinel only applies to team kills. )

^ That means that if your friend kills an enemy, you companion gains affinity BUT it's not taken from your own. Which was exactly what I said, friend kills enemy worth 100. You get 100 AND your companion get 100 as well.

If you think that when your allies kill enemies you get less affinity, it's because how Shared affinity works unlike your own gained affinity.

Your ability kill = 100% affinity to warframe. Your weapon kill = 50% to your warframe and 50% to the weapon used.

Shared affinity (someone else kills or objective affinity) = 25% to your warframe and 75% divided by your weapons (if you only have 1 weapon, it receives 75%, if you got 2 weapons, each will receive 37,5%, 3 weapon, 25% each).

If you go to a mission alone and try to take a companion with you, without abilities and without a weapon, your compaion will only gain affinity if you complete mission objectives that award affinity (Mini challenge (the 30 kills or get 1 mod, hack 1 console etc.. / Spy vault hacked / MobDef terminal defended / interception point capture / domination / ... ) because those count as shared affinity.

Without any kind of shared affinity, you companion only gains affinity from his own abilities (ex: Helios scan) or his own kills.

A sentinel only steals affinity from you IF they kill an enemy. So, no sentinel weapon and no sentinel killing ability means your sentinel can't steal affinity from you.

9 hours ago, calmchaos said:

I don't know why you think that's the real answer, but it's not. It only took me about a minute to prove my answer, --Valkyr.

I don't know how you tested your theory, but you have to keep everything constant except the variable you're testing. In the following screenshots, the only thing that changed was the number of enemies I killed using my Marelok.

Hide contents

20160428111136_1_zpssozxc9ii.jpg

20160428111148_1_zpsrtrd4el6.jpg

20160428111206_1_zps81bmq5y3.jpg

The wiki page I quoted very clearly stated that sentinels generate their own affinity. In the above screenshots, my frame was the only one who got any kills. Since my frame got the kills, the sentinel got nothing. When your sentinel kills something, the sentinel gets affinity, but your frame and weapons get nothing. If a teammate kills something, the same exact affinity is given to both your frame+weapons as well as to you sentinel+s.weapon without being split up.

Having a sentinel equipped does not affect your frame's or your weapons' affinity gain unless you're standing there and just letting your sentinel kill everything. Just take off the sentinel's attack precept, and it won't be able to affect your affinity gain period.

If you're going to talk about finding the real answer, make sure you've actually tested your hypothesis first. Because every single test I've done proves your hypothesis incorrect. The only time your companion gaining affinity affects your own affinity gain is when the companion itself kills something.
If you really think I'm just wasting my time and lying to you for the fun of it, go test it out yourself instead of relying on your interpretation of the wiki. Unless some game-changing affinity update happens between now and when you test it yourself, you will get the same exact results as I did.

I'm replying because I want you to have accurate information.

Uhm… I did test for myself. From the wiki It clearly said that A nearby Tenno, but not the Companion's owner, kills an enemy. Affinity gained by the Companion does not detract from that gained by its owner. I tested it with my friends right after I saw it, and it was right. (Not 100% sure, but pretty sure)

This is my test result:

I tested this with a couple of friends.

Everyone wears a Sentinel: When one of my friend (No weapons equipped) kill enemies by herself, she get less EXP than us.

Everyone wears a Sentinel other than my friend: But when she kill enemies by herself without carrying the sentinel, we get the same EXP.

Your picture did not disprove what I said since I clearly said teammate. And all you showed me on your screenshots are solo gameplays.

English isn't my first language, nor my second language so I might get people misunderstood. Honestly though, many of my post got people completely misunderstood. When I was making this post, I was simply asking for the answer since there are many people answering completely different things. I was trying to see if I should equip my Sentinel or not while leveling, not trying to find out Sentinel killing = less EXP or whatever like that. Either way, please understand.

FYI: I never equip sentinel weapons.

Edited by --Valkyr

1 hour ago, Manyc said:

I don't see how you can select your own answer as a correct one when you're not even sure of it yourself...

The answer is:

Sentinels count as another entity but they only don't share with their owner, if they kill stuff, the exp is all theirs and to their weapon if they have any equipped. Otherwise, in no other way they will steal exp from you.

So if you equip a sentinel but no weapon on it, you're never going to lose any exp.

The thing about another player killing an enemy, when a squadmate kills an enemy that awards 100 affinity, you get 100 affinity divided 25% for frame, 75% divided by all weapons you got equipped (1~3) AND your sentinel gains another 100 affinity, divided by himself and weapon if he has one equipped.

Since you don't equip sentinel weapons, you got nothing to worry when leveling.

Because I wanted to close the thread so that there's no need for reply again, but apparently, my intention failed.

Your first part is correct. But your second part isn't. From my test and wiki, apparently, the sentinel owner will get less EXP if they kill stuff by themselves while equipping a sentinel. And will get their normal amount of EXP when teammate kill for them.

This is the wiki quote  "A nearby Tenno, but not the Companion's owner, kills an enemy. Affinity gained by the Companion does not detract from that gained by its owner." (100% split for Sentinel only applies to team kills. )

Why is that there if it makes no difference?

Edited by --Valkyr

20160429102049_1_zpscfgv3cis.jpg

20160429102104_1_zps2fwgfasw.jpg

20160429102117_1_zpshgjsspid.jpg

That was from killing enemies only using abilities rather than with a weapon like in my other post.

Now below is just from casting decoy 3 times, noting the affinity gain each time.

20160429102924_1_zpsobblrx1e.jpg

20160429102935_1_zpsbncyavm4.jpg20160429102946_1_zpscuapgnbt.jpg

Notice how the sentinel gets the same exact affinity in both sets of pictures? The sentinel does not gain affinity from you killing things with your weapons, nor does it gain affinity from killing things with your abilities. It does, however, gain affinity from the casting of your abilities. That does not, however, detract from the affinity gain you get from casting abilities. Here's proof of that.

20160429103728_1_zpsrzyhoses.jpg

20160429103738_1_zpsbjmi8ssg.jpg

20160429103748_1_zpsevt81wpe.jpg

All of this should be more than enough proof of my point. Now, I haven't tested any of this in a party, but since you guys agree the wiki is correct I assume you should believe what they say about affinity acquired from squadmates not being affected by having a sentinel equipped.

Your sentinel does not affect your affinity gains unless the sentinel kills something. Period. I did the testing. I followed proper procedure and kept all things constant that were in my control except the one single variable I was purposefully changing. Show me concrete proof that I'm incorrect, proof that isn't random info from the wiki, and I will be more than glad to discount what I've been saying. Until you do though, I will abide by the data I collected and say that your sentinel doesn't affect affinity gains unless it kills something.

Edited by calmchaos

9 hours ago, --Valkyr said:

I think I found the real answer. If you equip a Sentinel (WIth or without weapon), and kill stuff yourself, you will get less EXP. 

But, if your teammate kill for you, you will get the same amount of XP as normal.

A nearby Tenno, but not the Companion's owner, kills an enemy. Affinity gained by the Companion does not detract from that gained by its owner.

Therefore, if your teammate kill for you, you will get normal EXP while getting less EXP if you kill for your own, or your sentinel kill for you.

I don't know why you think that's the real answer, but it's not. It only took me about a minute to prove my answer, --Valkyr.

I don't know how you tested your theory, but you have to keep everything constant except the variable you're testing. In the following screenshots, the only thing that changed was the number of enemies I killed using my Marelok.

The wiki page I quoted very clearly stated that sentinels generate their own affinity. In the above screenshots, my frame was the only one who got any kills. Since my frame got the kills, the sentinel got nothing. When your sentinel kills something, the sentinel gets affinity, but your frame and weapons get nothing. If a teammate kills something, the same exact affinity is given to both your frame+weapons as well as to you sentinel+s.weapon without being split up.

Having a sentinel equipped does not affect your frame's or your weapons' affinity gain unless you're standing there and just letting your sentinel kill everything. Just take off the sentinel's attack precept, and it won't be able to affect your affinity gain period.

If you're going to talk about finding the real answer, make sure you've actually tested your hypothesis first. Because every single test I've done proves your hypothesis incorrect. The only time your companion gaining affinity affects your own affinity gain is when the companion itself kills something.
If you really think I'm just wasting my time and lying to you for the fun of it, go test it out yourself instead of relying on your interpretation of the wiki. Unless some game-changing affinity update happens between now and when you test it yourself, you will get the same exact results as I did.

Edited by calmchaos

9 hours ago, calmchaos said:

Reveal hidden contents

You are the wrong one here m8.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Affinity

Companion Affinity

Companions gain their own Affinity, similar to Tenno.

• The Companion kills an enemy. Total Affinity upon kills is equal to that gained by Tenno. The owner of the Companion gains no Affinity.
    • Kills with its weapon. 50% Affinity is split between the Companion and its weapon.
    • Kills with an ability. 100% Affinity to the Companion.
  • The Companion uses an ability. Amount varies by ability.[investigation needed] 100% goes to the Companion.
  • A nearby Tenno, but not the Companion's owner, kills an enemy. Affinity gained by the Companion does not detract from that gained by its owner.
    • 50% Affinity is split between the Companion and its weapon.
    • 100% Affinity to the Companion in the absence of a weapon.

Unless your sentinel is somehow capable of killing all the enemies before you, then it shouldn't affect your leveling. If the sentinel kills something, you don't your frame doesn't get affinity for it, but that also works in the reverse. It's never split between the frame/weapon and the sentinel.

EDIT: Had to change that wording. Came off different than I intended.

Edited by calmchaos

17 minutes ago, AtoKitsune said:

I am pretty sure using a companion will split your bonus experience to the companion and their weapon, if they have one equipped.

Bonus affinity is calculated separately for each item.

^ Nice nugget to keep in mind for those who farm focus.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Affinity

Unless your sentinel is somehow capable of killing all the enemies before you, then it shouldn't affect your leveling. If the sentinel kills something, you don't your frame doesn't get affinity for it, but that also works in the reverse. It's never split between the frame/weapon and the sentinel.

EDIT: Had to change that wording. Came off different than I intended.

Edited by --Valkyr