Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If You Made A Dojo With A Pvp Arena

veverko

The dojo is the same as any other map in the game, so you can't change your frame while you're in it. That'd be like going on an Extermination mission and switching your Frost to a Nyx halfway through.

And even if they wanted to implement such a system the coding work would be quite a lot.

It would require them to apply a whole slew of special code and rules to just the dojo maps. Such as allowing an overly that would change your frame, mods, weapons, sentinals and everything else. Then they would have to code it in where it would update your frame change to everyone within the game without causing lag or breaking something.

The problem with the last thing is that when you join a map you send to everyone else connected a set of information including:

Frame

Colours

Sentinal

Weapons

Health/shield stats

In order to change your frame mid-map you would need a way to resend all of that information. And depending on how its coded they would also need a way to redraw your entire model, otherwise you would see texture pallets applied to the wrong frame model, incorrect/broken animations when using skills, or any number of other graphical/game crashing bugs.

And even if they wanted to implement such a system the coding work would be quite a lot.

It would require them to apply a whole slew of special code and rules to just the dojo maps. Such as allowing an overly that would change your frame, mods, weapons, sentinals and everything else. Then they would have to code it in where it would update your frame change to everyone within the game without causing lag or breaking something.

The problem with the last thing is that when you join a map you send to everyone else connected a set of information including:

Frame

Colours

Sentinal

Weapons

Health/shield stats

In order to change your frame mid-map you would need a way to resend all of that information. And depending on how its coded they would also need a way to redraw your entire model, otherwise you would see texture pallets applied to the wrong frame model, incorrect/broken animations when using skills, or any number of other graphical/game crashing bugs.

They could introduce such a feature, you press a button on a wall, it temporarily takes you to where you manage your setup, you make the changes, and then it takes you back into the dojo with the new gear, instead of having to run all the way back to the arena

Edited by DAwGi

They could introduce such a feature, you press a button on a wall, it temporarily takes you to where you manage your setup, you make the changes, and then it takes you back into the dojo with the new gear, instead of having to run all the way back to the arena

The easiest way to code it in would be to have a button that you interact with that brings you to the overlay where you change everything, then when you hit apply it drops you from the game and then has you rejoin immediately and in the same spot.

That would be the smoothest way that they can do it, but then what happens if the host does it?

I was just trying to bring up that it's not as simple an idea as some people think it may be to implement, especially with how their netcode has been historically.

The easiest way to code it in would be to have a button that you interact with that brings you to the overlay where you change everything, then when you hit apply it drops you from the game and then has you rejoin immediately and in the same spot.

That would be the smoothest way that they can do it, but then what happens if the host does it?

I was just trying to bring up that it's not as simple an idea as some people think it may be to implement, especially with how their netcode has been historically.

You explain things so much better than I do lol, but yes that's exactly what I meant.

Aye, there's still bugs whenever the host leaves.  That wouldn't be unique to this feature.  That's a different issue entirely that I'm sure they're working on.  They could make it so that the host can only rejoin using the new feature in between pvp matches.

Edited by DAwGi

You explain things so much better than I do lol, but yes that's exactly what I meant.

Aye, there's still bugs whenever the host leaves.  That wouldn't be unique to this feature.  That's a different issue entirely that I'm sure they're working on.  They could make it so that the host can only rejoin using the new feature in between pvp matches.

Once they clean up the netcode and make host-transfers more reliable what i could see them working on is making it so that if the host of the dojo uses this feature it briefly, and hopefully seamlessly, transfers hosting of the dojo to the server/player with best overall ping, and then back to original host once they are back.

Once they clean up the netcode and make host-transfers more reliable what i could see them working on is making it so that if the host of the dojo uses this feature it briefly, and hopefully seamlessly, transfers hosting of the dojo to the server/player with best overall ping, and then back to original host once they are back.

I don't think it would be fruitful to transfer it back to the original host.  There's nothing to stop the host from continuing to change his gear or experiment, and that would make for a large number of interruptions.

I don't think it would be fruitful to transfer it back to the original host.  There's nothing to stop the host from continuing to change his gear or experiment, and that would make for a large number of interruptions.

That is true, I was just putting out a potential thing they could do. And if they fix the host migration things they may be able to make it *mostly* seamless. Maybe when the host transfers a second or two of jittery mobs/players? At least its something to hope for.

That is true, I was just putting out a potential thing they could do. And if they fix the host migration things they may be able to make it *mostly* seamless. Maybe when the host transfers a second or two of jittery mobs/players? At least its something to hope for.

I do have one thought.  Since accounts are free, someone from the clan could set up their own server and leave a character from a new account in there to keep the dojo open.  That way you don't have to worry about hosts leaving.  The only downside is that if something does go horribly wrong, then you are stuck waiting for the admin to return to restart the dojo.

I do have one thought.  Since accounts are free, someone from the clan could set up their own server and leave a character from a new account in there to keep the dojo open.  That way you don't have to worry about hosts leaving.  The only downside is that if something does go horribly wrong, then you are stuck waiting for the admin to return to restart the dojo.

While that is a work around to avoid a lot of things I still think DE needs to work on fixing their netcode and making a lot of it more stable. Honestly the best suggestion for the dojo would be for DE to get servers that host the dojo while people are there, meaning that no matter who drops from the dojo people wont get interrupted by host migrations.

And that should probably only be done for the dojo. In a normal mission leave it Peer2Peer hosting, but in the dojo where you can have a lot more people in it at once move that to being hosted on the servers.

Edited by Tsukinoki

While that is a work around to avoid a lot of things I still think DE needs to work on fixing their netcode and making a lot of it more stable. Honestly the best suggestion for the dojo would be for DE to get servers that host the dojo while people are there, meaning that no matter who drops from the dojo people wont get interrupted by host migrations.

And that should probably only be done for the dojo. In a normal mission leave it Peer2Peer hosting, but in the dojo where you can have a lot more people in it at once move that to being hosted on the servers.

A lot of games do this, but all of that costs money.  I'd rather see them spend that money on more developers so they can make more PVP content for the game lol.

A lot of games do this, but all of that costs money.  I'd rather see them spend that money on more developers so they can make more PVP content for the game lol.

I would rather them focus it on the PVE areas of the game and polishing that before thinking of polishing up the PVP areas. But fixing the netcode would do a lot in both cases. And I was just giving a small suggestions that would keep their server costs lower than hosting everything serverside but would make the main social area work a bit smoother.

I would rather them focus it on the PVE areas of the game and polishing that before thinking of polishing up the PVP areas. But fixing the netcode would do a lot in both cases. And I was just giving a small suggestions that would keep their server costs lower than hosting everything serverside but would make the main social area work a bit smoother.

I've gotten a little leery about having the DE host things that clans could host instead.  Call Of Duty took this approach in recent years, and the result is that there's no admins to police servers, leaving hackers to do whatever they wish and people to be as crude as possible.

DAwGi, on 12 Jun 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

I've gotten a little leery about having the DE host things that clans could host instead. Call Of Duty took this approach in recent years, and the result is that there's no admins to police servers, leaving hackers to do whatever they wish and people to be as crude as possible.

The clan warlords can still moderate their clans. They would really only need a few more options to kick people from the dojo for a length of time or something similar to that in some sort of admin overlay that the warlords + whoever was given rights to it can access.

The clan warlords can still moderate their clans. They would really only need a few more options to kick people from the dojo for a length of time or something similar to that in some sort of admin overlay that the warlords + whoever was given rights to it can access.

As long as the performance is there.  I don't know how many clans there actually up to now.

You guys are having a nice, clever and civil conversation here, and I like it!

Lol I like to think that's how great ideas get born.  

Well it is possible for them to add a button to the wall as others have said... I don't know how the system is set up, it might be really easy for them to do so it might not, given that people can join and leave mid mission as they wish I can't see it being a huge thing to do. But I haven't seen the games code so I can't know for sure.