The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[QoL] New Minimap Icons

holyicon

I'm not 100% sure if this should go in UI Feedback or Art and Animation Feedback or Player Concepts... So... I'll just start here and let a mod decide.

Since the expansion of Sabotage, I've been a little disappointed with the general ambiguity of the generic "Objective" icon.
So I finally got fed up and tasked myself with creating some new ones.

(now I realize these may not exactly fit the "Style" of Warframe per-say, but I'd hope they'd serve as inspiration for the creation of in-house icons matching the purpose.)

I STRONGLY suggest viewing the following icons using both the (Default) Lite and Dark Forum Themes found in the selector at the bottom of every page.

For starters, let's improve at the basic "Destroy" icon.
Codex version 64px:destroy_064.png-- Minimap version 26px:destroy_026.png

Next, the Sabotage "Reactor" icon.
Codex version 64px:reactor_064.png-- Minimap version 26px:reactor_026.png

And "Coolant Station" icon.
Codex version 64px:coolant_station_064.png-- Minimap version 26px:coolant_station_026.png

Let's not forget the "Fuel Cell" and "Coolant Cell" icons.
Codex 64px: fuel_cell_064.pngcoolant_cell_064.png-- Minimap 16px: fuel_cell_016.pngcoolant_cell_016.png

Finally, you may need to "Defend" something during a sabotage, so let's make that better... 
Codex version 64px:defend_064.png-- Minimap version 26px:defend_026.png

I figured as long as I was at it, I would also address a couple other icons ... just for fun.

This is an "Active Operator" icon on the Battlefield...
Codex version 64px:operator_064.png-- Minimap version 26px:operator_026.png

And here's an updated "Assassination Target"...
Codex version 64px:assassinate_064.png-- Minimap version 26px:assassinate_026.png

If you guys like em' and can suggest more, I may be convinced to update this list. Who knows what might come of it?

Thanks for reading, and as always, be as kind to each other as you are mean to the enemies of the Tenno.

emblem.png-  holyicon

Edited by holyicon

Just now, Chaosdreamer said:

Dunno but I find many of them ugly , and maybe will have hard time to remember many of them ...

but before fixing icons minimap need to be more clear on where to go sometime minimap just trolling your path

Oh trust me... The Navmesh is a big headache. And I have a TON to say about THAT. But that belongs in another post entirely.

Just as an aside to that, one fix is an options toggle so the player can choose for the minimap to only place the objective waypoint on the next "Door"-Node on the navmesh rather than the next mesh-path node. Since the path is constantly recalculating as the player moves (unlike how NPCs move). But like I said, this is outside the purpose of this thread.

As for the icons being ugly. That's entirely your call, and I totally accept your opinion on them, but like everything else, there's a learning curve to the concepts. If you can remember "The object I' going to go pickup is a Fuel Cell" enough times from a generic icon. And you're okay with that. Then it stands to reason that your brain is sophisticated enough to associate a non-generic icon with that task. THEN be able to identify that icon from a null context as a Fuel Cell if the need ever presents itself.

Like for example, if a Coolant Cell and a Fuel Cell are available and you wish to goto to the map location where one is but not the other. Currently, they both use the same generic icon. You're intelligent enough to see where I'm going with this. And it's kin to the "trolling" that the navmesh markers are pulling currently. Especially if another player or event has moved one of these objects for whatever reason.

Yes please. The minimap is one thing that needs an update. Hopefully sooner, rather than later. Even as a veteran player with most in game tiles memorized, I'll occasionally find myself getting lost. And often, while playing with friends, I'll have to slow down and help guide them since the minimap isn't doing its job. Not that I have a problem with helping newer players or friends, but that I'm doing the job the HUD is supposed to be doing is a bit of an indicator that there's a problem here.