Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Assassinations and Alarms

HarrodTasker

This has always bugged me.  When I'm going to kill Alad V, he's talking to me over the radio.  He's aware that I'm coming for him.  Not just in a general sense, he knows specifically that I've arrived on site to kill him.  His guards though, they don't get that memo.  It makes me wonder why Alad V doesn't walk a few feet from his starting location to set off the alarm as soon as you arrive, and why he doesn't re-flip the thing every time you hack it.

Now enter Kela De Thaym assassination.  From the moment you arrive, she is on a loud speaker as much talking to you as she is the grineer who are visibly cheering her on.  And yet, the first guards you run into are unalerted.  How lazy are they, and where do I apply for a position that tolerates such gross negligence of essential job duties?  So Kela is saying over and over again to all who listen that Teno are on their way to fight her, and after you murder a couple dozen maybe one guy sets off an alarm.  WHO DOES HE THINK DOESN'T KNOW YOU'RE THERE?  And if you hack it, what Grineer is so stupid as to think you're gone?  "Hey Clem, heard about the Tenno coming to murder our boss who is in that giant arena right now?  Well, the alarms went on then off, so it must have been taken care of.  Thank goodness.  Now lets pace down this hallway one in front of the other thereby making it impossible for someone to run up behind us and pick us off one at a time"

My point is, there shouldn't be alarms on most assassinate missions.  I can buy the current system as it is against Ambulas.  Its taunts seem to be stock footage anyway.  And even if it did know you were coming for it, its not the top of the chain of command.  It can't call in a hundred Bursa to block your path like Nef Anyo presumably could if Teno were in the building after him.  But Kela De Thayme clearly is aware that I'm on the premises and knows exactly what I intend to do.  She has a fortress full of guards specifically trained for this eventuality, and half of them won't get off their arse until someone flips the alarm.

Maybe it'd make more sense if their taunts represented a previous recording that the Lotus is replaying for your benefit to get you pumped up.  Like, stock footage of Alad V kicking a puppy, news articles about him defunding employee retirement accounts, contaminating school water supplies with psychactive drugs, or whatever bastard things Alad V actually does when we're not looking.  But if he's talking directly to me and knows I'm on my way presently to murder him it doesn't make sense his compound would be in the lowest level of alertness.

I'd like to see the alarms removed, and the enemies perhaps initially unalerted because they don't know exactly where you are in the compound but they're definitely aware you are there.  Maybe they have groups that sweep around looking for where you could be hiding.

At the very least make the taunts only start after the alarms go off, or something.

Alarms have always bugged me in assassination missions, too. I often wonder why the boss doesn't get more difficult if they know we're on our way. You'd think they'd have prepared for our arrival once the alarms went off and they knew we were there to waste them.

Assassination missions are a mess. No special defenses, low level unit defending, no guarded check points.

Probably they can't change it since it's going to drain too many work hours.

If you like theorycrafting check my concept and ideas I wrote some months ago... dreaming is all we are left with.