Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need advice on Conclave Long-Range Rifleman

tutzdes

Question

While waiting for the new PvE content i tried Conclave and it is at least decent IMO.

Because of somewhat poor aim and reflexes (by PvP standards) I got dominated at close range, but found myself much more comfortable at mid-long range with Volt+Grinlok and Akstiletto as a backup-finisher.

From video guides I understood that frantic aerial movement is a key for survival. This helped a lot, but on the move a can not hit my targets. So I try to snipe distracted targets from distance and run like a headless chicken when got targeted myself (bullet-jumping-to-roll in zig-zags like crazy).

Are there any people who mastered perch-rat gameplay and can give some tips on equipment, mods, and general advices on how to become a better PvP player.

6 answers to this question

Some advice I can give for sniping:

1: it's not for every map so don't try it everywhere unless you can get really comfertable with closer range movement (One of the best maps for it is the one that looks like the simulacrum one of the worst at least for me is the moon)

2. Patience is very important, Don't rush things look for people who have just spawned in and are casually walking around or even easier (Normally) are shooting one of your teamates as they tend to mostly just strafe

3. Aim for the head, can't stress this enough headshots can be oneshots to certain frames so it's always worth hitting when you can

4. Always have the high ground, this goes with head shots they're easier to get and you're harder to see (Because who looks up)

5. A stealth frame can help, it's not necessary but if you can cloaking conceals that giant red symbol above your head that says you're an enemy and can make lining up a shot a lot easier if you don't need to worry about others shooting you (I use Ivara)

6. Don't be afraid to provide backup, if an enemy has a shotgun and is running your teamates down just go for a quick body shot it will still get their shields pretty close to (If not) empty and can give your teamate the fighting edge

7. Make sure you're scoped in all the way, probably pretty obvious but that damage buff can make the difference between killing in 1 and 2 shots and if you hit 1 they're gonna make it really hard to get that second

I'm not the best in the world but I can average at least 5-8 kills per game while dying only once or twice if at all. I tend camp highground and get a kill or two before moving on to the next spot experiment a bit with the maps to find some good vantage points that actually work (Some maps have invisible walls) and try not to get seen. That's just my strategy another one I've seen employed is hitting a player with the sniper to destroy their shields then finishing with melee but I'm not fast enough to pull that off without luck

18 hours ago, tutzdes said:

I've heard that all the sniper rifles are balanced with the Lie in Wait mod in mind, and are not that powerful without it. So, I probably need to get this mod first. About the first shot + finishing with another weapon tactics - it's best then to use impact-based snipers and anti health melee/secondary probably, yes? Also, how do you deal with too high scope magnification at mid range?

Lie in Wait is a good mod to have but it's not necessary to 1-shot some lighter frames (I use Vectis Prime) when you can get it though it will help a lot.

Impact Snipers are best for killing shields and normally when I see people doing this they're getting very close to finish with a melee that can stumble you so you have reletively little chance to fight back but I'm not quite skilled enough to do that.

For mid range scoping if I really have to I'll line up the shot in my reticle first then zoom (I don't normally get too concerned with headshots if I'm being chased down though) however there are better alternatives to this such as a good close/mid range secondary (I Use Vipers) or Powers (Artemis Bow on Ivara 1 shots if you're close enough)

Edited by -Amaterasu-
Typos

I use the Dex Sybaris with Saryn for that type of playstyle.  If someone tries to return fire or starts moving closer, I can drop a Molt to absorb their bullets while I run, change up my weapons for close range, or keep shooting.

6 hours ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

Tiburon with this

I got the mod pretty early too. Pretty solid setup, I just have some trouble landing all the bullets of the burst from long range, Grinlok seemed to be more accurate. I need to give Tiberon another chance, then.

6 hours ago, -Amaterasu- said:

7. Make sure you're scoped in all the way, probably pretty obvious but that damage buff can make the difference between killing in 1 and 2 shots and if you hit 1 they're gonna make it really hard to get that second

I'm not the best in the world but I can average at least 5-8 kills per game while dying only once or twice if at all. I tend camp highground and get a kill or two before moving on to the next spot experiment a bit with the maps to find some good vantage points that actually work (Some maps have invisible walls) and try not to get seen. That's just my strategy another one I've seen employed is hitting a player with the sniper to destroy their shields then finishing with melee but I'm not fast enough to pull that off without luck

I've heard that all the sniper rifles are balanced with the Lie in Wait mod in mind, and are not that powerful without it. So, I probably need to get this mod first. About the first shot + finishing with another weapon tactics - it's best then to use impact-based snipers and anti health melee/secondary probably, yes? Also, how do you deal with too high scope magnification at mid range?

6 hours ago, PikeOrShield said:

I use the Dex Sybaris with Saryn for that type of playstyle.  If someone tries to return fire or starts moving closer, I can drop a Molt to absorb their bullets while I run, change up my weapons for close range, or keep shooting.

BTW which weapons do you prefer as a backup? Secondary/Melee, are there some that are better than others (or just better to compliment long range primary)? I tried Akstiletto, Brakk, Pyrana, Lex Prime, Prisma Skana, Orthos Prime, Jat Kittag, Kronen. Of these weapons Akstiletto+Prisma Skana seemed to be the most effective for me.

Edited by tutzdes

32 minutes ago, tutzdes said:

BTW which weapons do you prefer as a backup? Secondary/Melee, are there some that are better than others (or just better to compliment long range primary)? I tried Akstiletto, Brakk, Pyrana, Lex Prime, Prisma Skana, Orthos Prime, Jat Kittag, Kronen. Of these weapons Akstiletto+Prisma Skana seemed to be the most effective for me.

Anything that has a decent "burst" (no wind up) that you can use without missing to often is best in my opinion.

For a backup, I use an Orthos P for the slash damage (most people have their shields taken down by the time they reach me) and the reach since I'm terrible at hitting people with melee in pvp.  I've also used the Hikou P and Spira P mainly cause I'm comfortable with them and also the fall off and projectile spread matters less at close range.