Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Concept: Barricade ("Sometimes the best offense is a good defense" - Agent North Dakota, Freelancer Chronicles; Red vs. Blue)

RavingRoman

Now that we have a warframe that has a ridiculous amount of health, how about one with a ridiculous amount of shields and a creative way to use it. This is my defense to offense warframe idea, Barricade (Feel free to call it anything else)

The idea of this warframe is that it is meant to appeal to more players who prefer the tank/support/defensive role. This could be come an ideal warframe for mission types that require you to protect something or someone. It is an alternative style to using frost. Now the purpose of this warframe is to play with shields, and shields and barriers are delicate in some ways, they are still formidable forms of defense. Not only that, they can be played around form some good offense.

Level 30 unmodded (I still have not a good clue on how to scale)

Health: 250

Shield: 750

Armor: 300

Energy: 300

Speed: 1.00?

Passive Ability - The idea I can only think of when it comes to passive abilities is that the warframe's health is immune to all forms of damage, even against toxin, and slash procs so long as the shield is still functioning. It may not sound like much on paper, but if you're facing enemies that like to deplete your health via bypassing your shields, it can probably save your life. Just please watch out for magnetic procs.

First ability: Shunt - The idea is that Barricade will create extended combo attacks. Via maybe punching or with some fancy martial arts to create a concussive wave of attacks that damage and stagger enemies. Not only dealing an attack, but creating an opportunity to clear yourself from being shot at for a couple of seconds. This can use the combo casting that Atlas, Rhino, and Valkyr use to increase damage, stagger time, and spend less energy.

Second ability: Blockade - This is a channeled ability for Barricade. For as long as it is active, Barricade can drain up to 4 enemies continuously recharging his shield. Though it works similarly like Trinity's Link, it doesn't reflect damage, it adds to the shields of Barricade and maybe allies around him as well.

Third ability: Incarcerate - This duration ability creates a force field that will cover an area. Allies can enter and exit as they please, enemies cannot. If they are caught inside, they cannot leave nor enter it. In addition, all shots fired any both sides of the barrier will be reflected towards enemies be it fired from whomever. Keep the fight between you and your prey.

Fourth Ability: Vanguard - Barricade will create a third layer of shields for himself and his allies, and functions like a support version of iron skin/ warding halo. Third layer's hitpoints or amor rating will be entirely dependent on the amount that Barricade charges up before casting the ability. So charging needs time before casting.

Hope you like the suggestion. Please share what you think.

PS. Rhino's Iron skin should have a better buff. In the moment after casting iron skin, self damage will boost hit points of the skin, it should just boost the armor rating in my opinion. Thank you for reading

4 minutes ago, RavingRoman said:

PS. Rhino's Iron skin should have a better buff. In the moment after casting iron skin, self damage will boost hit points of the skin, it should just boost the armor rating in my opinion. Thank you for reading

Firstly- hell no to this. Self damage shouldn't count for anything but hurting you anywhere in this game. Trinity's blessing already needs to stop counting it.

Secondly- "we got a health only gimmick so lets have a shield only (or in this case- mainly) gimmick". What is everyone's obsession with copying a gimmick? Can't people just... you know... do something original? If you use the magical search bar in the top right corner and type in "shield frame" you'll see what I mean.

Thirdly- in review of the abilities.

• Passive- that's what everyone who suggests this suggests. On that note- those are suggesting they have almost no health/armor. Meanwhile yours has an insane amount of armor and health on top of the shields. I think it'd be OP.
  • Shunt- so... Atlas' landslide? K.
  • Blockade- so... inaros' scarab swarm? K.
  • Incarcerate- this one might as well be Limbo's cataclysm, save for the "can't leave or enter part". I always believed cataclysm should get an augment that keeps people that walk into it from leaving... I'd really prefer if he got that, he kinda needs that one last thing for the general community to find him playable since he doesn't have any normal-CC like other frames. Maybe then people would finally realize how good he actually is... BUT I DIGRESS
  • Vanguard- this one also might as well just be the current iteration of Blessing, and not even as good...

11 minutes ago, RavingRoman said:

Level 30 unmodded (I still have not a good clue on how to scale)

Health: 250

Shield: 750

Armor: 300

Energy: 300

Speed: 1.00?

Guess thats alright.

11 minutes ago, RavingRoman said:

Passive Ability - The idea I can only think of when it comes to passive abilities is that the warframe's health is immune to all forms of damage, even against toxin, and slash procs so long as the shield is still functioning. It may not sound like much on paper, but if you're facing enemies that like to deplete your health via bypassing your shields, it can probably save your life. Just please watch out for magnetic procs.

I think this is great to be honest, not overpowered while being useful.

12 minutes ago, RavingRoman said:

First ability: Shunt - The idea is that Barricade will create extended combo attacks. Via maybe punching or with some fancy martial arts to create a concussive wave of attacks that damage and stagger enemies. Not only dealing an attack, but creating an opportunity to clear yourself from being shot at for a couple of seconds. This can use the combo casting that Atlas, Rhino, and Valkyr use to increase damage, stagger time, and spend less energy.

Nothing special I guess, just another ability similar to Landslide.

13 minutes ago, RavingRoman said:

Second ability: Blockade - This is a channeled ability for Barricade. For as long as it is active, Barricade can drain up to 4 enemies continuously recharging his shield. Though it works similarly like Trinity's Link, it doesn't reflect damage, it adds to the shields of Barricade and maybe allies around him as well.

I guess its alright, you didn't provide a shield drain rate.

15 minutes ago, RavingRoman said:

Third ability: Incarcerate - This duration ability creates a force field that will cover an area. Allies can enter and exit as they please, enemies cannot. If they are caught inside, they cannot leave nor enter it. In addition, all shots fired any both sides of the barrier will be reflected towards enemies be it fired from whomever. Keep the fight between you and your prey.

Because f*ck Frost apparently. Seriously this will make Frost useless. Enemies inside can't leave and new enemies can't enter, fine. But the other thing you are doing is
basically the old snow globe, only it redirects projectiles.

17 minutes ago, RavingRoman said:

Fourth Ability: Vanguard - Barricade will create a third layer of shields for himself and his allies, and functions like a support version of iron skin/ warding halo. Third layer's hitpoints or amor rating will be entirely dependent on the amount that Barricade charges up before casting the ability. So charging needs time before casting.

So this is a charged ability. Mind providing what it scales from ?
Armor ? Shields ? Strength ?
Or are these layers like independent objects when summoned ?

3 minutes ago, gerikeify566 said:

I guess its alright, you didn't provide a shield drain rate.

Yeah, I didn't. I'm not sure what would be a good rate or how it should be effective. But the desired effect that even in high level fights, the shield's rate is only enough to deplete really slowly under continuous fire, allowing the player to compose themselves.

6 minutes ago, gerikeify566 said:

Because f*ck Frost apparently. Seriously this will make Frost useless. Enemies inside can't leave and new enemies can't enter, fine. But the other thing you are doing is
basically the old snow globe, only it redirects projectiles.

Perhaps the ability can be tweaked. How about enemies can enter but cannot leave, and firing (enemy or ally) on the shield from either side will distribute damage on all enemies that are inside of it? Could that separate it from Frost's snowglobe?

7 minutes ago, gerikeify566 said:

So this is a charged ability. Mind providing what it scales from ?
Armor ? Shields ? Strength ?
Or are these layers like independent objects when summoned ?

I haven't really thought of that. I suppose shield and power rating can do? But the amount of hitpoints perhaps can depend on how much energy you charge before casting the ability.

Thank you for your constructive criticism and questions. It gives me ideas to tweak the concept. Because I feel defensive styles need a little more attention.

17 minutes ago, Stratego89 said:

Secondly- "we got a health only gimmick so lets have a shield only (or in this case- mainly) gimmick". What is everyone's obsession with copying a gimmick? Can't people just... you know... do something original? If you use the magical search bar in the top right corner and type in "shield frame" you'll see what I mean.

It's not yet in the game, so shield play in it's self is not unoriginal unless you count for Valkyr's Paralysis. But then now that is introduced, the game needs a little more variety in it. So until such variation of a warframe is existent, all shield-play ideas are still original.

20 minutes ago, Stratego89 said:
  • Passive- that's what everyone who suggests this suggests. On that note- those are suggesting they have almost no health/armor. Meanwhile yours has an insane amount of armor and health on top of the shields. I think it'd be OP.
  • Shunt- so... Atlas' landslide? K.
  • Blockade- so... inaros' scarab swarm? K.

I said I don't know how to scale it very well. So maybe suggest some stats that would make it justifiable yet emphasize on shields and energy.

Shunt - While similar, it is not the same. Landslide ragdolls enemies, shunt only staggers them. It's more or less the combo version of Valkyr's paralysis... only without actually paralyzing beyond a stun.

Blockade: Scarab swarm doubles armor, the point of the ability is to slow down your shield damage so that you would be able to fight back.

9 minutes ago, RavingRoman said:

Perhaps the ability can be tweaked. How about enemies can enter but cannot leave, and firing (enemy or ally) on the shield from either side will distribute damage on all enemies that are inside of it? Could that separate it from Frost's snowglobe?

That would make it more balanced, the good CC would remain but it wouldn't overthrow Snow globe, I mean aslong as the damage distribution only counts if the shields of the area are hit and not anything else.

I haven't really thought of that. I suppose shield and power rating can do? But the amount of hitpoints perhaps can depend on how much energy you charge before casting the ability.

Shield and power strength scaling is alright and to be honest is the most logical for a frame like this.
However I think you should give the charging a hardcap so the shield doesn't reach level 9999 bombard amount of hp.

Edited by gerikeify566

3 minutes ago, gerikeify566 said:

Shield and power strength scaling is alright and to be honest is the most logical for a frame like this.
However I think you should give the charging a hardcap so the shield doesn't reach level 9999 bombard amount of hp.

That is a proper point. Perhaps it can only gain as much as the player can charge, and while charging cannot gain energy except from energy orbs dropping from enemies and destructible objects. And recasting the ability overrides the previous shield. Perhaps that should keep it balanced.

That is a proper point. Perhaps it can only gain as much as the player can charge, and while charging cannot gain energy except from energy orbs dropping from enemies and destructible objects. And recasting the ability overrides the previous shield. Perhaps that should keep it balanced.

Looks solid from my point of view.

1 minute ago, Sniper_Wolf13 said:

How about 50 health and 1200 shields and it should look like protoss archon like weak in body but strong in abilites.

50 Will pretty much get you killed... unless that is unmodded. Maybe that can be a thing.

4 minutes ago, RavingRoman said:

50 Will pretty much get you killed... unless that is unmodded. Maybe that can be a thing.

His passive should be to take all damage in shields even toxin or viral.that should fix that.

The stats are too strong. If you're going to have a shield- based frame, then why do you have high armor. Armor is for health, not shields. And secondly, this frame has way too high energy. Tanks don't have high energy. (I know it's unmodded) Volt Prime and Saryn Prime both have 300 energy at max rank unmodded and they have the highest energy carriers in Warframe.