Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

People Complaining At The "lack" Of Free Items

Strudul

You should be more specific. There are many free(Especially the mmos(Including shooters)) games out there especially with Xbox and PS4 subscriptions.

xbox has no f2p games at all, ps4 isn't out yet (if you meant xbox one that's not out yet either).

This is one if not the only co-op f2p shooter (it's the only one I can think of) so it does have a niche.

You're forgetting that DE is doing work and nobody should expect others to work for free. We're not doing them a favor by playing their game in of itself.

Uh... ok?

Tribes and GA had horrible cash shops from inception. LoL / DoTA2 / TF2 are all very very different games than this and are PvP / E-Sport centric...

You also neglected to point out those are the very very rare cases compared to the market as a whole.

Does the cash shop need work? Absolutely. That doesn't change that there are like 3 different things that cannot be achieved in game no matter how you cut it.

How was Tribe's cash shop horrible when this one isn't? They both have equally absurd prices. Actually, looking at just weapon prices, Warframe loses out because Tribes weapons never got more expensive then 9 dollars, here we get things that are over 10$, and that's ignoring Frame prices. It's true that LoL/DoTA2/ and TF2 are all very different games, but TF2 is a different genre from the ones you listed it with, so why is it cool that it gets compared to them?

How was Tribe's cash shop horrible when this one isn't? They both have equally absurd prices. Actually, looking at just weapon prices, Warframe loses out because Tribes weapons never got more expensive then 9 dollars, here we get things that are over 10$, and that's ignoring Frame prices. It's true that LoL/DoTA2/ and TF2 are all very different games, but TF2 is a different genre from the ones you listed it with, so why is it cool that it gets compared to them?

The difference being in warframe you can farm almost any single weapon in a single day of play and IMHO you shouldn't really be buying weapons unless you absolutely have to have it now or... you just have a bunch of money and don't care. In Tribes you have to play a LOT to get the decent weapons and the weapons have MAJOR balance issues.

Why is it cool? It's an e-sport pvp centric game. In methodology you can't have a good cash shop that gives players tangible shortcuts and advantages because it adds a huge element of imbalance among players; not really a huge deal in a game like warframe where your team-mate being OP just means the mission goes smoother but in PvP that OP win comes at the expense of shattering someone else's play.

There are several f2p games on xbox 360, such as Aegis Wing and Hexic HD.

And you only have to pay the monthy fee to access them. Yup, sound f2p.

and if you're talking about single player games... nobody refers to single player games as f2p -_-

Edited by Bakim0n0

The difference being in warframe you can farm almost any single weapon in a single day of play and IMHO you shouldn't really be buying weapons unless you absolutely have to have it now or... you just have a bunch of money and don't care. In Tribes you have to play a LOT to get the decent weapons and the weapons have MAJOR balance issues.

You could get half of the weapons in a single day of play with Tribes as well (even before they slashed the price of weapons in half). Tribes is actually the reverse of pricing practices here. They had cheap classes and expensive weapons. Oh, there's also the whole "you have to wait x amount of time before you can use your weapon" since all but the worst weapons must be crafted now, oh, and there was no RNG to aquisition of weapons (like the Glaive) in Tribes.

There's also the fact that weapons have major balance issues here (Kunai, most frames, the Hek was a problem for a while), and the weapons in Tribes were intended as side-grades, not upgrades.

Why is it cool? It's an e-sport pvp centric game. In methodology you can't have a good cash shop that gives players tangible shortcuts and advantages because it adds a huge element of imbalance among players; not really a huge deal in a game like warframe where your team-mate being OP just means the mission goes smoother but in PvP that OP win comes at the expense of shattering someone else's play.

Actually, it's completely fine to have shortcuts to weapons via cash. The prevailing philosophy in games like TF2 and LoL are "sidegrades, not upgrades"

You could get half of the weapons in a single day of play with Tribes as well (even before they slashed the price of weapons in half). Tribes is actually the reverse of pricing practices here. They had cheap classes and expensive weapons. Oh, there's also the whole "you have to wait x amount of time before you can use your weapon" since all but the worst weapons must be crafted now, oh, and there was no RNG to aquisition of weapons (like the Glaive) in Tribes.

You can get them quickly... if you manage to get into winning matches. My brother plays that game and has gone on in lenght about how much of a pain in the &#! it is to start. Weapon imbalances here are a thing, but again, when your teammate is OP it just means the match goes smoother. In PvP when a weapon is OP it means you get griefed over and over again for not having it.

Actually, it's completely fine to have shortcuts to weapons via cash. The prevailing philosophy in games like TF2 and LoL are "sidegrades, not upgrades"

To an extent, it depends. This game is trying to have the weapons all be sidegrades not upgrades but it hasn't had the years to try to balance it out. Also, I haven't played LoL in years, but they used to have problems with new champs being stupidly OP at launch and having to be dialed down.

Edited by Bakim0n0

That's why I said 'until Hi-rez did what Hi-rez does'. They had a good thing going until they threw balance out the window with the majority of their playerbase, the game wasn't always like that.

To an extent, it depends. This game is trying to have the weapons all be sidegrades not upgrades but it hasn't had the years to try to balance it out. Also, I haven't played LoL in years, but they used to have problems with new champs being stupidly OP at launch and having to be dialed down.

not its not. 

a Rank 7 weapon is better than a rank 1, and thats how it should be.

not its not. 

a Rank 7 weapon is better than a rank 1, and thats how it should be.

Not nessacarily true, they are different not strictly better. There should be some advantages, I agree, but the weapons are largely meant to be sidegrades without gaping differences in performance overall. Not *every* weapon, but the bulk of them.

Guys, every F2P game is supposed to be invested in sooner or later, otherwise it'll simply starve.

If you can't pay a dollar for a new warframe slot you shouldn't be playing video games either. Video games are entertainment.

Unless of course youre under age and don't have a credit card to buy things online. Then I feel your pain.

Guys, every F2P game is supposed to be invested in sooner or later, otherwise it'll simply starve.

If you can't pay a dollar for a new warframe slot you shouldn't be playing video games either. Video games are entertainment.

Unless of course youre under age and don't have a credit card to buy things online. Then I feel your pain.

It's not about how much money you have to pay, it's about what you're getting for your money. For example, I'd rather spend close to $20 on a colour pack + smoke palette than spend $5 for some slots or potatoes [which shouldn't even be in the store to begin with]. I understand DE is an indie developer and they need money but they're not going about it the right way.

Consider how TF2's model works; free players have a more limited backpack, they have limited crafting and trading capabilities but once you spend money on the game those limits are lifted. In the end DE still gets money and now the player is free to explore options that are more interesting than slots and potatoes, it's just a matter of DE adding more non-progression based items to the store.

Edited by Godplank

I'm afraid this isn't true. The F2P model is designed around the idea that the vast majority of players will never pay a penny. It's suppose to be that way. These people create a thriving community for said game, which is one of (if not the) most important aspect of any games success, and has a much bigger impact on swaying people into paying than any form of paywall.

People should stop worrying about "putting food on DE's table". DE is doing fine, they say so all the time.

xbox has no f2p games at all, ps4 isn't out yet (if you meant xbox one that's not out yet either).

This is one if not the only co-op f2p shooter (it's the only one I can think of) so it does have a niche.

You're forgetting that DE is doing work and nobody should expect others to work for free. We're not doing them a favor by playing their game in of itself.

PS+ Subscription.

PS+ Subscription.

Guys, the 5$/month fee for PS+ is NOT required to play F2P/MMO games. Ones such as FFXIV or Warframe should be free upon the console's release (of course, I believe FFXIV will have a sub fee all on its own). Playstation has already answered statements to this.

This means that, technically, you get the option of free games straight out of the box with a PS4 without paying a cent outside of the initial purchase. And if you were to invest into the subscription (which is much less than xboxlive), then you get access to a wider range of free titles and they have said that new titles will be available each month.

All of this can be looked up and googled.

Otherwise, I have no idea why this was brought up.

Edited by Rogkun

OP: I believe you're absolutely right, about everything, except the potato famine. In FTP games everything should be attainable through hard work (even if it's grinding), and pretty much everything is, except the potatoes.

I don't think they should be common alerts, by any means, but the last reactor was over a month ago wasn't it? That's a very long time, and when the next one pops, you or I could have something else on. Real life intercedes sometimes. There's no other way to get them - you can't put the hours in and work towards one. You need to be glued to twitter 24/7 and hope real life doesn't trip you up when that golden potato is finally unearthed.

A month is a long time to be sat staring at twitter. I ****ing hate twitter.

Life is like that, when people get a cake, they will want to eat it too. 

When you give them something out of kindness, they will take advantage of your kindness and ask for more.

Can't fully blame the players though, it is human nature. 

Can't blame human nature of some people for their logic is stupid/ but out of that their are some good people , and their is no lack of "free" things in this game, people who think so don't have a clue in life. I'm also getting Grand master soon and think the free stuff is plenty for those greedy people who want more.

Starting slots are an issue, that is all.

I will not budge from that statement, and I am no longer surprised at people like OP who miss the point completely and the number of people who agree with someone like that.

Guys, the 5$/month fee for PS+ is NOT required to play F2P/MMO games. Ones such as FFXIV or Warframe should be free upon the console's release (of course, I believe FFXIV will have a sub fee all on its own). Playstation has already answered statements to this.

This means that, technically, you get the option of free games straight out of the box with a PS4 without paying a cent outside of the initial purchase. And if you were to invest into the subscription (which is much less than xboxlive), then you get access to a wider range of free titles and they have said that new titles will be available each month.

All of this can be looked up and googled.

Otherwise, I have no idea why this was brought up.

I think the problem is Steve said during E3 that he's not sure but Warframe will likely require a PS+ subscription. If this has been said elsewhere it's likely that a great many people, myself included, did not see this.

I think the problem is Steve said during E3 that he's not sure but Warframe will likely require a PS+ subscription. If this has been said elsewhere it's likely that a great many people, myself included, did not see this.

F2P Games will not be required to be behind the PS+ subscription.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/13/4424908/dc-universe-online-planetside-2-ps4-playstation-plus-not-required

Edited by Rakaija