Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mini Bosses That Show Up.

CharlesSnippy

I was playing an infested mission earlier, and about halfway through the screen shook slightly for some reason, and I could of sworn I heard loud thuds coming closer. Being the easily frightened type, I was a little worried, but simultaneously thrilled at the prospects of something big showing up. Sadly, it appeared to be my mind playing tricks on me, but I got me thinking about a mini boss system, similar to what is in place for everyone's favourite hallucination, but far more common. Unique units, or even other bosses, could show up with a somewhat frequent chance, and utterly wreck your S#&$ engage you in combat.

Thoughts?

This sounds pretty cool. As long as they are weaker then stalker. A cool idea might also be for the mini boss the lockdown the room you are in, this should prevent streams of MOAs or Troopers/Lancers waltzing in and also wrecking your s#&$. I prefer for my s#&$ to not be wrecked from two or three directions at a time.

Edited by GunmanRex

The mini bosses should be scaled to their planets difficulty and each faction (corpus, grineer, infested, etc) should have their own types of mini bosses.

I always liked the thought of an infested mini boss coming out of the infested stuff you see on the walls and floor- like i would want the mini boss to be a surprise when you see it, not something you know where it will be at to be abused and farmed.

The mini bosses should be scaled to their planets difficulty and each faction (corpus, grineer, infested, etc) should have their own types of mini bosses.

I always liked the thought of an infested mini boss coming out of the infested stuff you see on the walls and floor- like i would want the mini boss to be a surprise when you see it, not something you know where it will be at to be abused and farmed.

like those little wormy things on the ground in infested missions. There could be a large one that appears. That would be some more challenge to infested maps. Those early infested missions are a cakewalk due to the lack of large groups, tougher enemies, and no detection systems.

This sounds pretty cool. As long as they are weaker then stalker. 

Implying stalker is strong? please, almost any player can solo stalker with a few mods.

Edit: back to topic, I think this is a great idea :) +1

Edited by Twixcard

I already posted something similar to this idea and a mechanic to control it's frequency and encounter difficulty. https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/65072-bounty-hunter-mechanic-idea/

It is a fun idea though, it would offer a extra bit of challenge and randomness to missions to mix things up.

Head to this guys thread, he seems to know what he's doing.

+1 for a miniboss system in this game. A unit type above heavy maybe, that spawns randomly. Sometimes one per map, sometimes a couple, sometimes none. That'd be pretty badass idea.

What would be awesome is mini bosses that are actually two units or something. Like some weird twins and stuff.

Like the Grineer Dragoons from Frostwolf's thing. They're like a jetpack toting squad of anti-Tenno badasses.

i have this idea in the later missions, groups of reverse engineered Warframes. After all, the big bads carrying blueprints for the Warframes must have looked inside and had a light understanding of the stuff, right? Pretty much a bunch of slightly weaker stalkers. Edited by GunmanRex

I'd quite like a Grineer warframe, as both an enemy and as a player character.

That's another pretty interesting idea, enemies trying out their own warframes...I'd say Corpus probably has the resources to invest unlimited money into trying to create something similar to a warframe, in order to combat fire with fire.

A corpus cleric frame would be neat. Uses tech powers and such. Could have a Nyx style power to convert moa's or ospreys into a shade style pet which follows you around.

Incidentally, because I have no honour and an obsessive compulsive need for attention that rivals the @(*()$ riddlers, I'm going to post a link to my other thread, it's about archery, and even comes with a free video of a danish guy out Legolasing Legolas.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/65233-arrows-and-hands-and-bows-oh-my/

@%$ YES.

I want minibosses. Like small instances in the middle of missions that require you to stop and kill the big baddie before moving on.
If anyone has played Warface think of the heavy gunner, something like that would be amazing.

A corpus cleric frame would be neat. Uses tech powers and such. Could have a Nyx style power to convert moa's or ospreys into a shade style pet which follows you around.

Incidentally, because I have no honour and an obsessive compulsive need for attention that rivals the @(*()$ riddlers, I'm going to post a link to my other thread, it's about archery, and even comes with a free video of a danish guy out Legolasing Legolas.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/65233-arrows-and-hands-and-bows-oh-my/

They could also restore shield by converting power from the environment to the frame.

I'm going to bump another thread that I read before, and a suggestion that I made to Cedric (who liked it) because the thought was similar to the OP's.

Random elite packs that have a chance to spawn anywhere, have unique characteristics, and a very enticing loot table. They could be colored a unique way for identification purposes as well as prevent forward player movement (i.e. an impasse).

Now, in addition to that, having a miniboss or two per planet would also help in the lore department.

Edited by Reichmar

They could always add some sort mini boss squad with a Commander using an extra random Tenno skill and 3 body Guards sharing the same passive effects.

For instance : Lotus : An elite Grineer squad is heading your way, be carefull.

A Heavy Armoured Grineer comes up with 3 bodyguards with recoloured armour models, they are stronger and  they all share some (not all) extra random effects like :

- Extra Health

- Extra Shield

- Extra Damage

- Extra Speed

- Extra Melee Power

- Elemental Weaponery

- Quick Shield Recharge

- Quick Health Recovery

- Unshakable

- etc

The commander of the squad would of course use an extra power, to get an element of surprise when you fight him.

Nothing new, but this current system used in a lot of Hack/Slash games works pretty well.

They could always add some sort mini boss squad with a Commander using an extra random Tenno skill and 3 body Guards sharing the same passive effects.

For instance : Lotus : An elite Grineer squad is heading your way, be carefull.

A Heavy Armoured Grineer comes up with 3 bodyguards with recoloured armour models, they are stronger and  they all share some (not all) extra random effects like :

- Extra Health

- Extra Shield

- Extra Damage

- Extra Speed

- Extra Melee Power

- Elemental Weaponery

- Quick Shield Recharge

- Quick Health Recovery

- Unshakable

- etc

The commander of the squad would of course use an extra power, to get an element of surprise when you fight him.

Nothing new, but this current system used in a lot of Hack/Slash games works pretty well.

I'd be up for it. It'd finally add a reason for the "somethings wrong, a heavy unit is headed your way" line.

I agree, there should be Stalker-like mini bosses or elite enemies that have a random chance of spawning to spice things up. Of course they should also probably have a chance to give rewards that are above your average grunt drop (maybe blueprints for some weapons?).

You'd think there would be Grineer or Corpus unit or team made to just hunt down Tennos for all the trouble the Tennos cause for them. Or maybe mass production units of the Hyena (which are supposed to appear in packs anyway). Of course the Hyena would have to be changed a bit, although in all likeliness it's probably a placeholder for now.

Infested elites/mini-bosses could be mutations of the standard types of Infesteds which are stronger, tougher, and have more abilities.

Edited by RebornsAlmark