Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Genders

Izeck

Hi all. I have been playing warframe (On and off) since closed beta. Back when there was only one tile set. I quit after a short while (Wanted to let the game grow more) and came back about a week or so ago.

There have been many additions and improvements. However, it has always bothered me a little that Warframes are only one gender. In my opinion, it breaks immersion. A Warframe is a combat suit that you, the Tenno, wear. So why is it that on my Rhino I am a dude, but when I swap to, for example, Trinity I am suddenly a chick?

It would be really kool if Warframes came in both genders, don't you agree? I understand that this would be more work for the devs, but it would be an addition/improvement to the game that would draw in more players.

Maybe in the future they can even add some customization to the frames apart from just colors.

Nyx was originally to be the female excalibur, if you look at her body minus her female assets.

They seem to want to have more variety options in abilities as a priority rather than creating two sets of animations for 1 specific frame. This was discussed in one of their livestreams. It is not impossible that in the future they might revisit this idea, but not now.

Of course it'd be a nice addition.

The amount of work that would have to go into releasing a separate gender for each frame would not be worth it, unless they made it so the only way to acquire said frames would be via platinum.

I'd much rather they focus on newer content and fixing bugs. 

Because the warframes are actual people in a story. You can't change the gender because, as far as I understand, Rhino is literally one person, not a bunch of people in a Rhino suit. I could be wrong, but that makes the most sense. Especially because "Tenno Reinforcements" wouldn't be the addition of a new suit, it would be the introduction of a new person. Also, the suits come in all different body shapes so I'm assuming a Saryn couldn't fit in a Mag or Excalibur suit, if you know what I mean.

Because the warframes are actual people in a story. You can't change the gender because, as far as I understand, Rhino is literally one person, not a bunch of people in a Rhino suit. I could be wrong, but that makes the most sense. Especially because "Tenno Reinforcements" wouldn't be the addition of a new suit, it would be the introduction of a new person. Also, the suits come in all different body shapes so I'm assuming a Saryn couldn't fit in a Mag or Excalibur suit, if you know what I mean.

This. They are characters, not suits. Granted, certain boss quotes contradict this, but since when are those always perfect? I mean, some of them are shared among bosses, and some of them don't even make sense. "You're LOKI Warframe makes you slow and clumsy." Yup, makes sense to me. But, think about how the developers have said things like "Well, Loki is such and such while Rhino is a big tough sonofbich. Meanwhile, Mag is a classy lady." It's not the "that mag suit makes you look classy." It's "Mag is classy." As in the character Mag.

I see them as suits and not characters. It makes more sense that way, since my brother and our friend that we play with both use Loki all the time. I imagine that they're both different Tenno equipped with the same Warframe.

It also works better that way to my mind, because they both have their own personal color schemes and weapon loadouts which support their identities more than a vague characterization that is never expressed in-game anyway

I also feel like I'm playing "my Ember" and not "the Ember." I think a gender choice for each frame would be a great way to support players with this mentality, and it wouldn't stop others from playing the canon male Excalibur or female Mag, for example. 

I see them as suits and not characters. It makes more sense that way, since my brother and our friend that we play with both use Loki all the time. I imagine that they're both different Tenno equipped with the same Warframe.

It also works better that way to my mind, because they both have their own personal color schemes and weapon loadouts which support their identities more than a vague characterization that is never expressed in-game anyway

I also feel like I'm playing "my Ember" and not "the Ember." I think a gender choice for each frame would be a great way to support players with this mentality, and it wouldn't stop others from playing the canon male Excalibur or female Mag, for example. 

Perfect writen......totall agree

I disagree, I see them more as a suit and not a character. I mean tenno are people who mastered the warframes, and there arent really much story to it.

You are indeed wrong, good sir.  You can build the warframes.  You can now even find those rare artifacts from the Void and construct "Frost Prime."  Nothing in the lore or the game mechanic points towards unique users being the frames anymore.  Scott may be stubborn and want to keep the warframes as "champions" or "heroes" or unique characters, but they are becoming less so by the patch.

And how about when you co-op, OR BETTER, when you are hanging out in the clan dojo.  You bump into multiple of the same warfarmes.  How do you square that with the idea that these are distinct individuals?  Are they clones?  Multiple copies of the same individual from different dimensions?  

What about when the bosses call you out before/during an assassination mission?  "YourFaceIsDumb, Isee that you're hiding behind that Excalibur suit.  Why don't you fight me without that toy?" (paraphrase).  The bosses, obviously treat the warframes as suits and address the players by their account name.

I understand if they think making alternate gender models for each frame is too much work, but if so they have to say it, instead of hiding behind their "lore" (what nonexistent lore there is).  Or like others said, just charge platinum for the alternate gender models.  Strictly platinum.

There's been a HUGE amount of talk about this subject, ranging from people playing devil's advocate and saying it's dumb to go against the DE's wills to people being angry at the DE for being sexist.

All in all, I've heard some whispers of introducing an alternate frame (IE Spark being a male fire-based Tenno, in conjunction with Ember, a female fire Tenno), and many suggestions of a simple cheap platinum-purchase boob skin.

There's been a HUGE amount of talk about this subject, ranging from people playing devil's advocate and saying it's dumb to go against the DE's wills to people being angry at the DE for being sexist.

All in all, I've heard some whispers of introducing an alternate frame (IE Spark being a male fire-based Tenno, in conjunction with Ember, a female fire Tenno), and many suggestions of a simple cheap platinum-purchase boob skin.

Except it's impossible to go against the devs' wills, since even internally there is no consensus. Scotty seems to be adamant about keeping the genders locked, based on his idea that the frames are unique people. Steve and Geoff seem indifferent about the subject and only want to give the players what they want.

The talk about Spark and such are suggestions by fans though. It's nothing official.

If the Warframes are unique people, why are they called Tenno as well? From my understanding. The Tenno wear armor called a Warframe. This is also proven by the fact that the Tenno have to master the Warframes.

If the Tenno ARE Warframes, why aren't they just refered to as Warframes?

For another topic:

"DE has mentioned that if they want to gender swapped frames (a female Loki or male Saryn) that their abilities will not be the same as the original gender. So the abilities may suck or can be totally different but the new frame is male/female. I just do not think it is worth it. Plus it would be putting a greater influence on gender over space ninja-kickassness." 

In terms of customization, I think it would be better to display trophies on your warframe, like a chunk armor from a boss or the stalker. Battle scars can also be interesting. 

EDIT: DE has stated in the new livestream that Genders will not happen. Lack of resources. 

Edited by Sni7ch

So you've never been in a mission in which there was more than one Rhino? Or Excalibur? Or any other warframe that you assert is just "one person"?

Of course it'd be a nice addition.

The amount of work that would have to go into releasing a separate gender for each frame would not be worth it, unless they made it so the only way to acquire said frames would be via platinum.

I'd much rather they focus on newer content and fixing bugs. 

Not worth it? Removing the genderlock would likely increase the paying playerbase by a decent amount, actually.

For one thing, people who dislike genderlock-oriented games (more than you'd think) would be more attracted to the game.

For another, people who already play the game but dislike playing characters of the opposite gender (like myself, for example) would view the game as having more playable and potentially buy-worthy classes.

Edited by SortaRandom

For another topic:

"DE has mentioned that if they want to gender swapped frames (a female Loki or male Saryn) that their abilities will not be the same as the original gender. So the abilities may suck or can be totally different but the new frame is male/female. I just do not think it is worth it. Plus it would be putting a greater influence on gender over space ninja-kickassness.

In terms of customization, I think it would be better to display trophies on your warframe, like a chunk armor from a boss or the stalker. Battle scars can also be interesting. 

There are no ordinal implications at all, actually. Think about it critically. Why do multiple versions of each frame put a "greater" influence on gender, as long as the concept, art design, abilities etc. are solid?

And if there were a male version of, e.g., Saryn (which would be freaking awesome, especially because poison is so stereotypically female in games and other media), then it would make sense that his powers and Saryn's could be mixed and matched, so he could use her four and her his four. And that would indeed enhance "space ninja-kickassness" for both frames.

I guess my question, is why is there even a need to HAVE both genders for a frame, I mean I can understand that some wish to see the frames as people who more or less are specifically have the frames built to them, others want to see the frame as just that, a frame which can be modified to fit others, I see more of a middle road,

And honestly, for those arguing as to how opening both genders up of each frame would increase the paying playerbase, my question to you is, how, and better yet, why would this happen? As far as I'm concerned, if you enjoy a game enough, wouldn't you already put down say, 5 or 10$ simply to get that extra weapon or color you've been eyeing for the past week?

And honestly, for those arguing as to how opening both genders up of each frame would increase the paying playerbase, my question to you is, how, and better yet, why would this happen? As far as I'm concerned, if you enjoy a game enough, wouldn't you already put down say, 5 or 10$ simply to get that extra weapon or color you've been eyeing for the past week?

I completely agree.

I highly doubt many people would stop playing a game, if they really liked it, because of gender-locked characters. I know when I look at a game, the least determining factor of whether or not I'm going to like it is gender related. 

To say it would bring more paying customers, is like saying the PS4 console would sell more if you sold it in different colors. 

They have a lot more to worry about than pleasing a small portion of the playerbase with their in-game gender issues. If you don't like a frame enough to play it because it's simply a female/male and you're used to playing the opposite gender characters, then you probably didn't like that frame much to begin with.

This is the most pointless thread in all of time and space. It was a nice suggestion initially, but to continue this thread is outright nuts.

Edited by WTYD

I've long thought that gender swaps would do nothing negative to the game, just make it better. would I feel a bit disappointed if DE flat out said, "no gender swaps"? yeah, I would. would I stop playing the game? probably not. but I would totally buy alternate skins for the warframes.

though my solution would be to have gender be a fixed option that you select at the beginning so that all the warframes would be either male or female as default for you, and if you wanted the alternative, you'd have to buy it.

I'd quite appreciate if every warframe came in both genders.... but still, I can't complain. It's already rare enough for an action shooter to feature playable female protagonists, so I'm overjoyed that there's already many female frames I can choose!

Hi all. I have been playing warframe (On and off) since closed beta. Back when there was only one tile set. I quit after a short while (Wanted to let the game grow more) and came back about a week or so ago.

There have been many additions and improvements. However, it has always bothered me a little that Warframes are only one gender. In my opinion, it breaks immersion. A Warframe is a combat suit that you, the Tenno, wear. So why is it that on my Rhino I am a dude, but when I swap to, for example, Trinity I am suddenly a chick?

It would be really kool if Warframes came in both genders, don't you agree? I understand that this would be more work for the devs, but it would be an addition/improvement to the game that would draw in more players.

Maybe in the future they can even add some customization to the frames apart from just colors.

50% good 50% bad...

There are better things to to like bug fixing,releasing new Warframes, new content, other galaxy's and stuff like that, MOAR nerfing less buffing. YOu know.

I think that warframes are suits for tenno. Also in my understanding Tenno does not have gender. In a female warframe there is always the same shape of Tenno the same as in Frost. Tenno have no reproductive organs they been cloned back in the orokin era for being soldiers using the warframes.

To make it short Tenno (warframe users) have no gender and they cant reproduce. Thats my thought on it.

Oh and why some warframes have female shapes? Well they are just designed that way. Like a BMW or Mercedes, some are more feminine and some are more manly.

Edited by GingerbreadTiger