Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corpus Weapon Concepts [Shotguns, Claws]

MechaTails

I have very rough ideas for what I wanted these to play like, I'll elaborate later on.

ys1cGK4.png

Left Shotgun

• 3-barreled shotgun that fires a spray of laser/plasma pellets/bullets
  • While zoomed in, Secondary Fire can tag one target, the next shot will fire all three barrels at it, with increased accuracy. Shots fired this way can't crit/inflict status. Tagging is instantaneous, similar to how you can waypoint an enemy.
  • The blue thing on top of the gun helps with aiming. It turns red when aiming at something that can be tagged. It also highlights the enemy you're aiming at.
  • Enemy must be within 25? meters to be able to be tagged. If they move out of range, the tag is lost and you're free to tag something else.
  • Animation: The two side-barrels angle inward when locked on to a target.

j34Epnj.png

Right Shotgun

• Fires a powerful flat beam blast, maybe 5 meters out. The horizontal width is maybe 33 degrees, the beam is only as thick as the top/bottom of the barrel.
  • Innate punch-through, anything touching the beam will be hit once.
  • Multishot works as usual (With 100% Multishot, the beam hits the target twice)
  • Charge Mechanic: Hold down the trigger 3 seconds to "charge", release to fire. Charged shots cause the beam to widen and have +60% Status Chance. Consumes more ammo.

Alternately:

• Launches hot, fresh pizzas. Hold trigger to charge and launch pan-pizzas.

Build Notes

• Ribbed heatsink runs along the top of the barrel.
  • Three small vents on the sides, marked by the little yellow triangles /!\
  •  Requires Oxium to build to keep down the weight of this monster.
  • The cylinder on top is the energy cell that provides power.
  • Dark Side of the Moon logo on stock lol

VAh0XJe.png

Pistol

• Revolving cylinder, fires two shots at once.

Corpus Lazor Claws
Finally some decent artz of this old concept. I think the scale is off, it should be a little smaller. It has some kind of fold-out mechanism so it isn't so bulky. Maybe the blade emitters slide along the rail and rest on the back of the hand like an armor plate. The bracer thing is the power source, connected by wires to the emitters.

Archived concept topic:

01y8lj2.png

Edited by MechaTails

32 minutes ago, Schregger said:

Is the first shotgun really a shotgun? Or is it just a three barreled rifle? Not a bad idea, but... 

Why doesnt it "seem like a shotgun"? If it's the slugs or lock-on mechanic that's too wordy/complex, we can simplify how the gun works:

• Generic 3-barreled shotgun that fires a spray of laser pellets/bullets
  • Secondary Fire can tag one target, the next shot will fire all three barrels at it, with increased accuracy.

Less exciting to use IMO, but it might make DE's job easier when implementing it into the game.

6 hours ago, MechaTails said:

Why doesnt it "seem like a shotgun"? If it's the slugs or lock-on mechanic that's too wordy/complex, we can simplify how the gun works:

• Generic 3-barreled shotgun that fires a spray of laser pellets/bullets
  • Secondary Fire can tag one target, the next shot will fire all three barrels at it, with increased accuracy.

Less exciting to use IMO, but it might make DE's job easier when implementing it into the game.

Its not the lock on mechanics, thats interesting, its the slugs it shoots. A shotgun is a shotgun as it fires shot, multiple small pellets, and not a single bullet. While a shotgun is still a shotgun when you load slugs into it, its not functioning like a shotgun, its functioning like a rifle. Its a technicality of the ammunition. ITs not a bad idea as it was, but its better suited for a rifle than a shotgun.

EDIT: Updated first post with more detailed art

6 hours ago, Schregger said:

Its not the lock on mechanics, thats interesting, its the slugs it shoots. A shotgun is a shotgun as it fires shot, multiple small pellets, and not a single bullet. While a shotgun is still a shotgun when you load slugs into it, its not functioning like a shotgun, its functioning like a rifle. Its a technicality of the ammunition. ITs not a bad idea as it was, but its better suited for a rifle than a shotgun.

Oh, like how some of the Pistols shoot a spray like shotguns? If this were a more realistic shooting game I'd agree, but since it's crazy space ninja gear, I like going for feature/weapon combos we don't have yet/I secretly want. :p

9 hours ago, MechaTails said:

EDIT: Updated first post with more detailed art

Oh, like how some of the Pistols shoot a spray like shotguns? If this were a more realistic shooting game I'd agree, but since it's crazy space ninja gear, I like going for feature/weapon combos we don't have yet/I secretly want. :p

To be fair, a lot of Pistils have really different mechanics. All shotguns however (that i know of) have some sort of spread factor. It sounds like a tri-barrel rifle to me too.

either way whatever it is i think its pretty cool. But given that it can lock on and is hitscan, shouldnt there be something in place to raise the skill barrier just a bit? as is, a freshly hatched ostrich could use this gun reliably. 

I'm all for requiring a little more skill or tradeoffs for the lock-on shots. Maybe locked-on shots cant crit/status? However, I dont know yet if the lock-on mechanism makes it too easy/advantageous to use.

For example, if youre using the lock-on, the shots hit center mass, so you're sacrificing a weakspot/headshot hit for a guaranteed hit. And that's assuming the target(s) didnt move behind cover yet. Also, it takes time to pick targets, especially multiple targets, time that could be spent shooting instead of tracking, tagging, then shooting. Maybe the mechanic would work better with only a single barrel. Would be a shame to lose the exotic tri-barrel look though lol

If anything, I like the lock-on more for hitting fast moving flying enemies than relying on it for everything.

For the rifle/shotgun thing...blegh

Again, if youre using real world guns as the measuring stick, im not going to argue. I dont feel the need for fantasy guns in this game to be restricted by the features of real world guns, or even imagined/assumed themes of current guns in the game. It's my design ideology, and nothing good ever comes from arguing with people with a different one. *peace sign* lol

Edited by MechaTails

• 1 month later...