Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make Helios great [Discussion]

(PSN)AngelShur

Hey Tenno, I'm wanting some rework for Helios. Why; because the codex is keen to a healthy understanding of the game and also Helios will help in QoL. Therefore I would like to know what you guys think, please share your thoughts.  

----------------------------------

Thesis:

The Helios is after three years (3) and hundreds of codex targets, still not quick enough when scanning. Also when scanning, it only scans one target at the time -prioritizing the enemy you're aiming at- but can detect the vulnerability of multiple enemies with completed codex. 

See, if the Helios can scan multiple targets in range and also detect the vulnerability of multiple enemies at the same time, would be great. 

Running through a mission (each mission) with over 300+ potential codex entries and taking over 3 seconds to scan is way to slow in my findings and opinion. 

So as read above, I have two suggestions.

1) My first (1) suggestion is to reduce the scanning time to 1 second and keep the range as it is. Also keep the targets to one at the time. But, make it that you don't need to be looking/aiming the target to get it scanned.

2) My second suggestion is to keep the scanning time to the three (3) seconds, but then make it be that it can scan multiple targets in range at the same time... Without being looked or aimed at. <--- I'm personally for this one.

--------------------------

Please let me know what you guys would prefer to be a good tackle for the Helios' most used ability.

I've always felt if you have Enemy Radar, Enemy Sense, and Animal Instinct equipped, then your Helios should have a permanent Scanner Vision where the player can see through walls while in 3rd person. Suddenly Helios is useful for spy and stealth missions and makes it an option next to the Carrier.

2 hours ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

I've always felt if you have Enemy Radar, Enemy Sense, and Animal Instinct equipped, then your Helios should have a permanent Scanner Vision where the player can see through walls while in 3rd person. Suddenly Helios is useful for spy and stealth missions and makes it an option next to the Carrier.

Not a bad suggestion, but it will only scan enemies and not panels, drones etc etc.

Maybe it's too early in the morning to be reading, but those words in the first post look jumbled to me lel

•Why do you think Helios's scanning is too slow? I'm guessing you're saying [300 enemies • X-amount of scans • 3 seconds] is a lot of time spent scanning. Maybe I agree. However, in all the time I've used Helios I've never felt it was scanning so slow it was detrimental to the gameplay. Helios was usually scanning stuff as I approached to melee, or scanning stuff near me without requiring any of my input. The scans go unnoticed (except for the bright orange energy glow lol). It could have taken me 16 or 160 hours to complete the Codex, I wouldn't know because Helios was handling that.

•Would be neat if Helios could scan or use Detect Vulnerability on more than one enemy at once. Then again, It'd be neat if my Dera got an extra 20 points of damage, just because. I don't think it's necessary, but it'd be...neat.

3 hours ago, (PS4)AngelShur said:

2) My second suggestion is to keep the scanning time to the three (3) seconds, but then make it be that it can scan multiple targets in range at the same time... Without being looked or aimed at. <--- I'm personally for this one.

Yeah, multiple scans at once would be cool, though doesn't it already scan stuff without aiming directly at it? Like, when I was scanning environmental stuff, Helios would scan stuff as I walked by it, no need to look directly at it.

3 hours ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

Helios should have a permanent Scanner Vision where the player can see through walls while in 3rd person. Suddenly Helios is useful for spy and stealth missions and makes it an option next to the Carrier.

I think giving it a mod for that would be cool. And maybe Shade too.

If permanent scanner vision would be too graphics intensive, maybe just a revealing pulse every few seconds could work too.

Edited by MechaTails

48 minutes ago, MechaTails said:

Maybe it's too early in the morning to be reading, but those words in the first post look jumbled to me lel

•Why do you think Helios's scanning is too slow? I'm guessing you're saying [300 enemies • X-amount of scans • 3 seconds] is a lot of time spent scanning. Maybe I agree. However, in all the time I've used Helios I've never felt it was scanning so slow it was detrimental to the gameplay. Helios was usually scanning stuff as I approached to melee, or scanning stuff near me without requiring any of my input. The scans go unnoticed (except for the bright orange energy glow lol). It could have taken me 16 or 160 hours to complete the Codex, I wouldn't know because Helios was handling that.

•Would be neat if Helios could scan or use Detect Vulnerability on more than one enemy at once. Then again, It'd be neat if my Dera got an extra 20 points of damage, just because. I don't think it's necessary, but it'd be...neat.

Yeah, multiple scans at once would be cool, though doesn't it already scan stuff without aiming directly at it? Like, when I was scanning environmental stuff, Helios would scan stuff as I walked by it, no need to look directly at it.

If permanent scanner vision would be too graphics intensive, maybe just a revealing pulse every few seconds could work too.

Good Morning!

Well, Helios was intended to be used/scan line of sight targets. It sometimes scan things that are far and even unseen, but that's unintended. The rework is based on the fact that many players do not know that having the codex will give more pieces of lore and an understanding off the enemy. 

The speed correction is based on the fact that if I use my scanner, I might be quicker than the Helios. Not good if you understand that the Helios was intended for a QoL addition. Speed is keen on the battle field when my one-shot primary is doing its job. ;)

2 hours ago, (PS4)AngelShur said:

The speed correction is based on the fact that if I use my scanner, I might be quicker than the Helios. Not good if you understand that the Helios was intended for a QoL addition. Speed is keen on the battle field when my one-shot primary is doing its job. ;)

Assuming the Sentinel scans a second slower than the Operator can (is that true? what are the actual numbers?), it still comes with the benefit that you don't need to manually whip out the Scanner, wasting even more time, and preventing you from using firearms. Currently, it's still a huge QoL improvement for scanning things.

Speed isn't that important when using guns (Sorties are something else, where everything can OHKO you). I walk through most missions with Banshee and do just fine, having all the time in the world to line up headshots with Dera. Scanning things sometimes requires me to stand behind cover for 2 seconds so I don't get blown to bits while Helios does it's thing, but I wouldn't say that's an issue that calls for faster scans.

Then there's the mindset of the player. Is the player going into a mission with the intent of scanning stuff, making a Pokemon Snap-type minigame/adventure out of it? I usually do that and have no complaints.

Does the player want to nuke the world as usual, and doesn't feel like waiting 2 seconds for things to scan? Then I can see why they would want instant scans.

(not being maliciously antagonistic, just playing devils advocate)

Edited by MechaTails

2 hours ago, MechaTails said:

That's Warframe's Scanner Vision. A revealing Pulse every few seconds. I'm not talking Predator Vision. Though that would make a cool power for the Werewolf Frame if it ever got made.