Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Limbo Rework: Equinox Style

DrBorris

Okay, let me explain myself a bit. When I first heard the Dev team explaining the initial Limbo concepts I was amazed, the thought of a frame that was tied to such a complex mechanic as the rift was… awesome. However, when we got Limbo, we found that the Rift seemed in more control of Limbo than Limbo in control of the Rift. Part of the problem seems to be that he only has four abilities. He needs a way to selectively put enemies in the rift, mass put enemies in the rift, put allies in the rift and put himself in the rift. These abilities are the FOUDNATION of Limbo, it is the other abilities that build his true power and character. Right now he has THREE abilities dedicated to just creating a foundation for the Rift, leaving only one ability to give him character. The goal of this rework is to give him more power over his foundation.

So, here it goes.

The Rift: Keep the 2 energy per second regen, but add a 5 health per second regen as well. However, for every enemy within the rift you will drain .1 energy per second. The reasoning for this is it allows for duration to be removed from his abilities and rather have it be a game of maintaining the most optimal amount of enemies in the rift. If there are multiple Limbos the energy per enemy is evenly split between them. Pickups… will stay the same except for energy and health which can be picked up from either side. Yeah, yeah no one likes being locked out of their pickups but I hope you will see that this will be less of an issue with the rework.

Passive: Yeah, I know he already has one sort of, but that can stay in addition to this. Whenever Limbo dodges forward he switches planes. Yup, we’re getting this rework set off with a bang, needing an ability to allow any of his other abilities to be usable is absurd, it should just be part of his base characteristics (when first unlocking Limbo there should probably be some sort of prompt).

Is that enough of a boom? Well, it gets more interesting. You maybe be wondering why this is an “Equinox style” rework. It is quite simple really, it is because Limbo will have two separate sets of abilities when he is inside or outside the Rift.

1: Banish 2.0: Okay, I lied, his first ability is the same on both sides. Limbo targets an enemy and an as you hold your first ability down the range will expand to a max of a 50-meter range. For every enemy within the range as it extends it will cost 5 energy (will stop expanding once energy required meets how much energy you have). You are stuck in place while you cast but you are also invulnerable while you cast. There is no duration, but remember that the more enemies in the rift the greater the energy drain. No longer affects allies.

2-Normal: Rift Walk 2.0: When cast a portal is left for other players at Limbo’s crosshairs so that they may enter the rift. This is pretty simple; I imagine it being something like Volt’s new speed pickup but probably more… rift-y. Can be cast in four locations.

2-Rift: Rift Fold: Basically a free teleport but with more limited range. Limbo teleports to his crosshairs at a max of 15 meters.

3-Normal: ???????: Toggle*: Allows Limbo to damage enemies in the rift but only deals 50% damage. Probably give it a 3 energy per second-ish drain.

3-Rift: Rift Surge: Toggle*: All enemies in the rift are dealt 2x damage, the energy drain per enemy is doubled however (.2 per second instead of .1).

*You do not have to recast every time you switch planes, the buff just switches as you switch.

4-Normal: Collapse: Takes all enemies within the rift in a 25 meter range out of the rift, deals 1000 base finisher damage along with 100 finisher damage for every enemy that was taken out of the rift (so if you use with 10 enemies in the rift in range it would be 2000 finisher damage). Also effects enemies within 10 meters of an of your Rift Walk portals or within the range of Cataclysm. All enemies are also knocked down for three seconds.

4-Rift: Cataclysm: Very similar to how it is now but rather than decreasing in range over time it increases. Starts off at 50% range and increases to a max range in five seconds. Once it reaches the cap it stays persistent (don’t forget about the energy drain per enemy, you cannot sustain too many enemies in the rift at a time). Another change is that it no longer has an effect on allies, the only way for them to get into the rift is through Rift Walk. Maybe having it also create a Rift Walk portal thingy in the epicenter would help out with allies.

TL:DR:

• Give Limbo two sets of abilities, one for while in the rift and one while outside.
  • Make it so he enters/exits the rift through rolling without an energy requirement.
  • Every enemy in the rift drains .1 energy per second.
  • Abilities:
    • 1: Banish is mass targeting.
    • 2-Normal: Portal for allies to enter/exit the Rift as they please.
    • 2-Rift: Short range teleport.
    • 3-Normal: Limbo can deal damage to enemies within the rift but with only 50% damage.
    • 3-Rift: Double energy drain per enemy in rift but deal 2x damage to enemies in rift.
    • 4-Normal: Take all enemies out of Rift within a set range and deal massive damage.
    • 4-Rift: Cataclysm sans duration and does not put allies in the rift.

There, I think that would be enough to make Limbo a master of the rift and hopefully make him a bit less irritating of an ally. And even if you hate the abilities I suggested, what do you all think of separating Limbo’s abilities into normal and Rift versions?