Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So tell me, how difficult is it to replace a motherboard?

lightdragon64

So as of right now i'm planning on getting my current computer a whole set of upgrades. first off when a GTX 1080 becomes available that won't sell out in a matter of seconds i plan on getting one, but that is not the issue. the issue is that my computer is about 4-6 years old and the processor i have is rather old and is in need of an upgrade. there is only one problem with this, in order to upgrade my processor to anything newer than a processor from 2012 that is good i need a whole new motherboard because of the socket type (seriously why don't they just make these things a standard thing like graphics cards and ram?) but overall that means that i will end up replacing the motherboard, processor, and graphics card. everything else i don't intend on replacing, my hard drive has plenty of space, and it is not too difficult to install a second one, my power supply has more than enough capability of powering everything i intend on replacing because they actually take up less power than all the components i'm replacing.

so like the title... tell me, how difficult is it to replace a motherboard? is it pretty straight forward like replacing a graphics card or installing a second hard drive? because from what i can tell it is just a matter of disconnecting everything from it, removing it from the PC and replacing it with the new one and reconnecting everything back to it.

are there any software problems i would run into? would all my files and operating system still be in tact after the upgrade? would it be better to just get a whole new computer at this point? let  me know.

and for those of you wondering, these are my current specs:

GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Memory: 16.00 GB RAM
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
motherboard: Gigabyte model Z68XP-UD3P

I also should note this all is currently housed in a rosewill blackhawk case. :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147107

What i intend on replacing components with:
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 (whenever i can find one that doesn't sell out 5 seconds after going on sale)
CPU: Intel boxed Core i7-6700k 4.00GHz 8M Processor (probably going to get from newegg rather than amazon) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012M8LXQW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1COA7PWTAABOP
Motherboard: Gigabyte Model LGA1151 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012IBPJ6I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23NVCSO4PYH3S

and to note, i don't have a processor cooling system, my computer case already does a good job of venting out air, and have no intention of overclocking the processor anyways, so i don't really see the point in having one.

EDIT: on an unrelated note, a short while ago (about a month ago) my chair broke and lost one of it's wheels, as a result of this it caused me to fall over and break one of the usb ports on my computer, it is one of those that has 2 ports right next to each other, does anybody happen to know where i could get a replacement to fix this? if not it is no big deal as i have at least half a dozen unused ports to work with, but having some of the ones on the top of my computer being broken... it is more than annoying to both look at and deal with.

Edited by lightdragon64

7 hours ago, 321agemo said:

The motherboard is probably the worst thing to replace.

Everything sits on top of it and windows licence is generally bound  to the motherboard.

So essentially if i were to do this i would need to get a new operating system set up as well? Geez... So i guess at this point it would be better to just get a whole new computer... I mean, after all... I am replacing 3 pretty big things in my pc, all i would need to make a completely new one at this point would be a power supply, hard drive, ssd, ram, and a case...

i'll consider it i guess then...

17 minutes ago, lightdragon64 said:

So essentially if i were to do this i would need to get a new operating system set up as well? Geez... So i guess at this point it would be better to just get a whole new computer... I mean, after all... I am replacing 3 pretty big things in my pc, all i would need to make a completely new one at this point would be a power supply, hard drive, ssd, ram, and a case...

i'll consider it i guess then...

yeah the motherboard is a real pain. plus its considered a major change in hardware, so Microsoft will probably ask you to reactivate your license. and if it doesn't go smoothly, u have to contact microsoft directly to get it reactivated.

not to mention you'll have to reinstall drivers and stuff.

Edited by 321agemo

2 minutes ago, 321agemo said:

yeah the motherboard is a real pain. plus its considered a major change in hardware, so Microsoft will probably ask you to reactivate your license. and if it doesn't go smoothly, u have to contact microsoft directly to get it reactivated.

not to mention you'll have to reinstall drivers and stuff.

Ugh... Was kinda hoping it would be a straightfoward upgrade... I can't just reinstall windows either because it runs on a windows 7 operating system that was upgraded to 10... Well i guess all i have to do is gather the rest of the parts i need and such. Thanks