Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How forma could be greatly improved.

DeadlyBannana

So I recently decided that I want to forma/max almost every decent weapon in the game and this got me thinking. What will happen when damage 3.0 comes out and you no longer have damage/multi-shot mods? Will all my forma be useless now? Will I have to reforma everything from scratch? If so whats the point in maxing anything, if the next day it might completely change in the way it works (example is mag rework)?

So I thought of this. Why not change the way forma works, and instead of permanently  changing one polarity, allow you to change whenever you want 1 polarity in your warframe/weapon? For example if you have 5 formas in a warframe, you would be able to change 5 polarities in this warframe whenever you want. This would allow for a much greater flexibility in building and wouldn't force you to go down one path. 

Another reason why this would be really good is that with some of the new mods that come out, if you want to max one play-stile for a warframe, you essentially have to ditch another play-stile or build a new warframe. For example,if I want to build a rhino with a maxed out roar build (energy conversion,blind rage,intensify, primed continuity etc.) I have to completely ditch playing him as cc frame with his stomp. If I want to play vaykor hek as pure elemental damage, I can never try it with status. And the list of warframes and weapons that if you want to max, you need to forget about building them differently goes on and on. And please dont tell me to get a duplicate of every warframe and weapon, cause then I know you are not here for a constructive conversation, cause this is not a reasonable solution.

Being able to switch polarity any time you want would defeat the purpos of polarities altogether. It would be the same as if all mods just had one polarity. And at that point it would be almost the same as just changing formas to micropotatos.

When devs came up with this system they surely had a certain purpose for it in mind. Whatever the purpose is, changing the polarities to simple on/off would certainly defeat it.

Personally, I like the system as it is. It makes forma'd gear feel unique and customized. I don't have a problem having two Mirages forma'd for different build (outside the fact that I had to buy the second one with plat, because you cant farm the quest reward again).

The one problem I see, however, is the extent of the balance problem throughout the game overall.

Like, for example, you pretty much HAVE to min-max in the late game, so you HAVE to make that single playstyle frame build. Again, I'm fine with the single playsile builds, it's the burning need of having them is what bothers me.

And that's even worse with the weapons. I'd like to build multiple weapons with multiple unique builds, but any weapon that has any build other than pure DPS is as good as just cosmetic accessory.

So basically if I want to max my rhino prime for strength, I have to forget about building him for cc and vice versa? Well lets be honest here, buying another rhino prime and maxing him for str, is not a reasonable solution. It is a solution sure, but if this is the only way I can make 2 different builds and try new things, I might aswell stick with one and not try anything else. However this makes warframe kinda stale. Maybe a middle ground would be if you can put forma to an existing polarity (or a formad one) and then have the ability to switch between these 2 polarities. I wouldnt mind putting 12 or 14 formas in one frame, but owning 2 frames just to try different build is 2 much grind and plat (you even have to buy new slot, put another reactor etc.). Eventualy, if the only solution to trying different maxed out builds is owning 2 frames, then its just not worth it.

Edited by DeadlyBannana

I completly agree with the idea of being able to change the polarity of a installed forma. I would be willing to install more forma into a frame or weapon and try different builds then. It would give me a reason to put forma in weapons I don't use. If a weapon doesn't prove itself by rank 30 I just move on to another weapon. If I could change the polaraties I could try different builds and realize each weapons true strengths.

Hold up a moment...

They're getting rid of damage and multi-shot mods? Why not just eliminate all the mods and have scaling weapons and Warframes?

I don't see the point in the developers going out of their way to erase a ton of content instead of being constructive but I suppose this is all a whole other can of worms for another thread.

I understand that the polarity system was implemented such that u couldn't put whichever mod u liked as drain needs to be minimized. As such, instead of being able to change the polarities of forma-ed slots as and when u like, why not make it such that u could choose to put forma on slots of alternate loadouts without affecting ur original loadout? This way while its really forma intensive, at least u are able to have that flexibility to change loadouts at one go especially if u are able to grind without complaint for that perfect loadout for ur favourite arsenal of warframe and weapons :)

On a related note, I feel rather peeved that they made it such that u can't change polarities of the aura slot. Some ppl say that its pretty obvious that they didnt want u to have an instant 9 point increase for the drain since normal slots don't even decrease the drain that much but I'll be glad if I can at least cancel that polarity cos I only use energy siphon on my Ash and his aura slot obviously doesn't help me much :/

54 minutes ago, Black-chameleon said:

On a related note, I feel rather peeved that they made it such that u can't change polarities of the aura slot. Some ppl say that its pretty obvious that they didnt want u to have an instant 9 point increase for the drain since normal slots don't even decrease the drain that much but I'll be glad if I can at least cancel that polarity cos I only use energy siphon on my Ash and his aura slot obviously doesn't help me much :/

Is this a new change on pc? I have put forma on a few of my warframes aura slots. Almost all my warframes go to a - polarity for corrosive projection except melee frames. 

13 hours ago, WindigoTP said:

Being able to switch polarity any time you want would defeat the purpos of polarities altogether. It would be the same as if all mods just had one polarity. And at that point it would be almost the same as just changing formas to micropotatos.

When devs came up with this system they surely had a certain purpose for it in mind. Whatever the purpose is, changing the polarities to simple on/off would certainly defeat it.

Honestly, what is the point to the polarities anyway? Just to add an artificial layer of complexity to the mod system?

I would be fine with them going away completely, and Formas just halving the cost of whatever mod is dropped in that slot.

What would we really be losing there? We would still have to forma most things 4-7 times anyway, so that "progression" wall would still exist to stop us from burning through content too fast. Without polarities you would not need to worry about screwing yourself over later with the wrong polarity. This would really help out new players, but I'm sure there are plenty of long time players that have been bitten by this too at one point or another. I know I have.

I would have to imagine that most players resent the Forma system, even the ones that understand it is more or less a necessary evil. Removing polarities would make it feel less punishing, at least.