Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Diminishing Returns On Mastery Rank With Forma

Yorinar

Maybe this has been suggested before, but I proposed this idea in another thread (which I'm not going to link because it's full of sperge). Instead of getting zero mastery for ranking up a forma'd weapon or frame, you get diminishing amounts depending on how many times a forma has been used on it.

This solves two problems. First, it gives an extra reward to people who like grinding levels. Second, it allows people who are more focused on a small set of weapons an opportunity to advance their mastery rank without being forced to try every weapon/frame out there (which they may perceive as inferior).

Warframe example:

0 forma: 200 per level

1 forma: 100 per level

2 forma: 50 per level

3 forma: 25 per level

4 forma: 13 per level

5 forma: 6 per level

6 forma: 3 per level

7 forma: 2 per level

8 forma: 1 per level

9+ forma: 0 per level

Weapon example:

0 forma: 100 per level

1 forma: 50 per level

2 forma: 25 per level

3 forma: 13 per level

4 forma: 6 per level

5 forma: 3 per level

6 forma: 2 per level

7 forma: 1 per level

8+ forma: 0 per level

Edit: if anyone is curious, this has essentially the effect of doubling the mastery you can gain from any single weapon or frame. So it shouldn't wreak havoc on the current mastery system by any means.

2nd Edit: Derped on rounding. I am rounding from the base number calculation. So 200 / (2^5) = 6.25 rounded to 6. Thanks Azure_Kyte. Also, these numbers are negotiable, it's just a suggestion. Maybe make them fall into multiples of 5 more smoothly, or diminish less slowly.

Edited by Yorinar

Warframe example:

0 forma: 200 per level

1 forma: 100 per level

2 forma: 50 per level

3 forma: 25 per level

4 forma: 13 per level

5 forma: 7 per level

6 forma: 4 per level

7 forma: 2 per level

8 forma: 1 per level

9+ forma: 0 per level

Weapon example:

0 forma: 100 per level

1 forma: 50 per level

2 forma: 25 per level

3 forma: 13 per level

4 forma: 7 per level

5 forma: 4 per level

6 forma: 2 per level

7 forma: 1 per level

8+ forma: 0 per level

Why round up for one (13) and then round down the rest? :p

Edited by Azure_Kyte

This "Solution" as well as all others of its kind all suffer from the same underlying problem: they assume that only this "solution" is implemented and no other changes are made. The reason there are research-based mastery rank 7 weapons is precisely because people who do advance want more stuff for doing it. If you implement this rendition, you are effectively doubling the total amount of mastery points available in-game. With twice as many points available, why would you assume that mastery level requirements would not also increase? Why shouldn't they increase? Why do you want mastery if not for new weapons? But you're not even willing to try out the weapons you currently have access to because you "perceive" them as inferior?

The mastery system encourages experimentation, not sticking to one thing. There's a lot of content, try it out.

Why round up for one (13) and then round down the rest? :p

I was going for rounding from the base number, but I goofed that as well. Updated post. Actual numbers used can be anything, this is just one suggestion.

This "Solution" as well as all others of its kind all suffer from the same underlying problem: they assume that only this "solution" is implemented and no other changes are made. The reason there are research-based mastery rank 7 weapons is precisely because people who do advance want more stuff for doing it. If you implement this rendition, you are effectively doubling the total amount of mastery points available in-game. With twice as many points available, why would you assume that mastery level requirements would not also increase? Why shouldn't they increase? Why do you want mastery if not for new weapons? But you're not even willing to try out the weapons you currently have access to because you "perceive" them as inferior?

The mastery system encourages experimentation, not sticking to one thing. There's a lot of content, try it out.

Just to be clear, except the reaper prime (which I'm still unable to get the blade for), I have every weapon and frame ranked to level 30 and am currently mastery rank 11. I fully support experimentation with weapons, but recognize that's not everyone's path to happiness.

I think the small handful of people who actually go all in with maxing out forma on weapons for mastery points will be rather low. It's either a massive amount of grinding for void keys and then forma, or it means they are spending a ton of hard currency, which only benefits the game.

Edit: I also considered that this is more of a bandaid for something that some people have a problem with: namely that mastery levels are an unfair means of limiting access to items. I disagree with this premise.

Edited by Yorinar

The calculations, and server distribution that would be required to just "Make everyone the rank they should be" is ridiculous. Remember when they gave everyone 100'000 credits, and the servers died? That was just a straight addition, no calculation involved.

I think the small handful of people who actually go all in with maxing out forma on weapons for mastery points will be rather low. It's either a massive amount of grinding for void keys and then forma, or it means they are spending a ton of hard currency, which only benefits the game.

Edit: I also considered that this is more of a bandaid for something that some people have a problem with: namely that mastery levels are an unfair means of limiting access to items. I disagree with this premise.

Most of the people posting have had a problem with the fact that mastery is the limiting factor on accessing weapons, often because they're free players who don't have the slots. Allowing Forma grinding through free tower raids they get from defense rewards etc. might allow them to get more mastery. I agree though, there aren't many people that would use forma in this way (I would say 0, but... well, let's face it, someone will do it just to screenshot and brag about it after spending $500 on forma...). I have used forma multiple times on my favorite weapons/frame, and I'm at mastery 10 waiting to research more clan weapons before I can hit 11. For you, and me, we get the satisfaction of being a "completionist" as it were, but that's it. That's enough for me.

On the other hand, if you make mastery points easier to get AND DE keeps pumping out re-skins of old weapons (I love you DE, but the massive number of nearly identical melee weapons is getting out of hand), then soon enough we'll have mastery 14s running around with 3x as many mastery points as needed to access all content. Then they get bored, because all they have to show off is their shiny avatar with a high number in the corner, instead of a rare weapon only the truly devoted can get. (note: being a member of a large clan does not mean you're devoted, even if you can build weapons my clan (50+) haven't finished researching).

The calculations, and server distribution that would be required to just "Make everyone the rank they should be" is ridiculous. Remember when they gave everyone 100'000 credits, and the servers died? That was just a straight addition, no calculation involved.

As a full stack developer, I imagine part of that was because it was the first time Steve had put together one of those scripts. Mistakes were made, lessons learned. Just because something can cause a crash, doesn't mean it has to.