Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma Ability Synergy Question...

Evan-0-matic

Question

Hey all...

So I've been playing Chroma a lot lately (not sure why I barely touched him around his release as he's really fun!) and I have a question regarding the combination of his second and third abilities. 

When using a COLD based elemental ward, which reflects all incoming projectile damage and Vex armor at the same time, does the damage reflected from ward still increase the damage bonuses from 'scorn' and 'fury'? 

I'm not taking any damage technically with a Cold based elemental ward so I'm confused if using the two abilities is worth it?

I usually use a fire based Chroma as I like the emergency health button capability of Elemental Ward, but would love the tankiness of a cold based Chroma who still gets that sweet Vex damage multiplier!

Thank you for reading and any help. 

4 answers to this question

52 minutes ago, (PS4)BlitzKeir said:

So, to answer your question, yes. It is absolutely worth it. It's why Cold Chroma is the definitive Chroma build for 1hr+ T4 runs.

I prefer electricity on chroma, for the spam stun from the cold ward & the damage reflection, and as you said, to give the full vex armor bonus armor since the basic shield without redirection isn't enough.

And for OP, the cold armor makes you reflect projectile but... it doesn't mean you take no damage, you still take some damage.

Chroma's Vex Armor is the only multiplicative armor boost in the game. It treats all other armor increases as though they were part of his base armor.

Steel Fiber + Cold Ward + Vex Armor + 349% power strength = roughly 30,000 armor.

With Fire Ward instead, you're getting around 13,000. (Feel like I screwed up, my math might be wrong. 30,000 is accurate, though.)

So, to answer your question, yes. It is absolutely worth it. It's why Cold Chroma is the definitive Chroma build for 1hr+ T4 runs.

The other elements have their own merits, particularly electric, which has retaliatory one-shots, and can guarantee you a portion of the armor buff from Vex if you have to recast with your shields already down. Fire Chroma is also the most beneficial to the squad, if you're playing support. Toxin Chroma is also highly underrated. But if you're fighting enemies lv100+, you want Cold Chroma.