Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] The Hyena: One Change = Many Solutions

Lady_Khaos

I just finished facing Hyena in order to get my Control Module for Mag (finally got the last piece after a month of farming), and throughout the mission, Lotus spoke of it in the plural. "THESE robots", "THEY travel in packs", "don't underestimate THEM". And it got me thinking, two of the biggest complaints I hear from the community are the excessive rarity of Control Modules, and the boringness of current boss battles.

So now, my suggestion: Lower the health and shields of the Hyena, but balance this by having 4 or 5 of them spawn throughout the map. Also, give them better AI that allows them to hunt Tenno across the whole map and work together, as implied by Lotus: "small, animal like proxies that stalk their prey in packs". (CY13ERPUNK)

What does this solve?

1) This adds a unique feature to the Hyena that no other boss has, while having the added benefit of increased challenge that so many are asking for.

2) They will no longer be simple bullet sponges.

3) Lotus' lines will actually be correct.

And 4) this will increase the number of chances to get the all important Control Module, without having to change the actual drop rate.

Now, these changes would also help to promote organized team play. Because if the entire group of Hyena's ends up in a single room, then you are going to need back up. However, reducing their durability will also allow the solo player to be able to do it if they take their time and think it through. And if they are in fact hunting you (after you trip the alarm, which also promotes stealth) then you also have the rush of trying to keep yourself from being the one assassinated.

Please, let me know what you think, agree or disagree. Would be great to even hear from the devs on this!

EDIT: Also, I just thought about the fact that this COULD also make getting Loki easier. However, I don't see that as a bad thing because Loki is one of the starter frames...Speaking of, I still find it odd that Excalibur is only available from the highest level boss in the game, assuming you don't pick him as your starter...

Edited by Khaos_Zand3r

+1 OP

the hyena, just like the J3-Golem are both bosses in dire need of a makeover

the lotus audio lore was put in around U7 i think, so we're LONG OVERDUE for an overhaul of these bosses specifically, and all bosses in general (cept for the better ones like Kril and Sedna boss)

IMHO all of the hyenas should always be together in one area, unless they are given better AI (like stalker) that allows them to hunt Tenno across the whole map and work together

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

Very good solution. I think that we should still get another boss that drops Control Modules though. I mean, Gallium, which is used in hardly anything, has two different bosses that drop it.

Also true, but hey, at least this way you would have 4 or 5 chances to get it in a single mission (not including looting from crates and lockers).

I feel like the only one who doesn't have issues with Control Modules.

Its more the fact you need so many of them, like morphics to make alot of things, and it just gets really old really fast farming them. I also agree with the ops suggestion, it would fit more with the lore, as well as give more chance to get the materials. Either up the drop rate for morphics/control modules or do what the OP has suggested with Hyena. Or better! Hyena's are known to stalk tenno right? why not have them appear in ANY mission on neptune at certan chances. Maybe even sometimes mutiple of them. But have 4-6 of them in the actual mission since your bascally assaulting the ship that produces them. I'll also be honest if a tenno gets killed by hydra they shouldn't have been one anyway, because hydra is not much of a threat at all even to low level frames. Frost, Vauban, Loki, volt and Saryn all have tools that bascally makes hyena 0 threat. Frost is snow globe, vauban's vortex will lift hyena into the air, loki and saryn both have a decoy, Volt has a shield it can put up that blocks bullets as well. 1 Hydra is not deadly but 3 at once might be a challenge.

Or if anyone ever played Dark Souls, you must know the boss 4 Kings, make Hyena into something similar to that, the 1st Hyena  armed with chain guns only and if you take too long to kill it, the second one will appear and armed with both chain guns and missiles, while the 3rd will also have shockwave attack and the last one will be the most powerful, capable to use all weapons and deploy Electric Shield. So if players failed to kill one quickly they will have to face all 4.

Edited by Crimson_King256

Hyena is a placeholder right now. I expect it to get a makover sometime in the next 4 months.

As for Golem...

Yeah, I can't wait for the new Golem! Though I don't think Hyena needs a massive overhaul, just the small changes to make it fill it's role better.

or complain some more to the forum (or beg) to have DE have a boss only battle arena each faction from each boss come each time per wave and last wave u get all of them bum rush u at the same time as they try to kill each other

wave 1 normal crap that has all faction (not corrupted) in and killing each other

wave 2 all infected boss 1 of each

wave 3 all corpus boss 1 of each

wave 4 all grineer boss 1 of each

wave 5 all boss at once 1 of each

and they all have a chacne to drop they loot the were orginally assign on the planets

this add a new challenge tto the game till someone brings a ogris and a somewhat fun way to farm rare mat

o and end reward is like 25k credit would be nice since ur fighting hard as crap enemy

Its more the fact you need so many of them, like morphics to make alot of things, and it just gets really old really fast farming them. I also agree with the ops suggestion, it would fit more with the lore, as well as give more chance to get the materials. Either up the drop rate for morphics/control modules or do what the OP has suggested with Hyena. Or better! Hyena's are known to stalk tenno right? why not have them appear in ANY mission on neptune at certan chances. Maybe even sometimes mutiple of them. But have 4-6 of them in the actual mission since your bascally assaulting the ship that produces them. I'll also be honest if a tenno gets killed by hydra they shouldn't have been one anyway, because hydra is not much of a threat at all even to low level frames. Frost, Vauban, Loki, volt and Saryn all have tools that bascally makes hyena 0 threat. Frost is snow globe, vauban's vortex will lift hyena into the air, loki and saryn both have a decoy, Volt has a shield it can put up that blocks bullets as well. 1 Hydra is not deadly but 3 at once might be a challenge.

I REALLY like this idea, like giving them this "Stalker of Neptune" identity. It would definitely cement the Hyena's role as a pack of highly skilled beasts.

or complain some more to the forum (or beg) to have DE have a boss only battle arena each faction from each boss come each time per wave and last wave u get all of them bum rush u at the same time as they try to kill each other

wave 1 normal crap that has all faction (not corrupted) in and killing each other

wave 2 all infected boss 1 of each

wave 3 all corpus boss 1 of each

wave 4 all grineer boss 1 of each

wave 5 all boss at once 1 of each

and they all have a chacne to drop they loot the were orginally assign on the planets

this add a new challenge tto the game till someone brings a ogris and a somewhat fun way to farm rare mat

o and end reward is like 25k credit would be nice since ur fighting hard as crap enemy

Well, you'll notice that the increased farming part of the idea is the last one I mentioned, because it isn't the focus of the change. It would simply be a nice side effect. So attempting to hi-jack a thread with a relatively unrelated idea is incredibly rude and unprofessional for someone on the design council, who should probably exemplify the rules.

Except you guys are talking about being pro and high levels.

Spare a thought for the lowbies.

It is not fun to have 6 Hyenas spraying miniguns and rocket launchers at you.

All at the same time and if you have to kill all 6 to complete. 

So yeah.

Except you guys are talking about being pro and high levels.

Spare a thought for the lowbies.

It is not fun to have 6 Hyenas spraying miniguns and rocket launchers at you.

All at the same time and if you have to kill all 6 to complete. 

So yeah.

First off, Hyena is considered a high level boss. Secondly, I never said anything about being pro. The Mag that I am just now starting is my second frame. Third, the focus of the game is coop. Find a decent squad. Fourth, I said if you want to solo, the health and shields would be lower, but it means you need to think and plan what you are trying to do. And try to not set off the alarm.

First off, Hyena is considered a high level boss. Secondly, I never said anything about being pro. The Mag that I am just now starting is my second frame. Third, the focus of the game is coop. Find a decent squad. Fourth, I said if you want to solo, the health and shields would be lower, but it means you need to think and plan what you are trying to do. And try to not set off the alarm.

First.

The Hyena is a low level boss.

A mid high level boss would be like Phorid, Ambulas and the Stalker. 

Level 40 and above. I am still expecting to see bosses in the 90s range soon.

Second.

Point conceded. I know I can solo Hyena early due to me getting very good mods, but not all have the luck.

3rd.

Game is coop yes, but not everyone can player coop due to terrible connections or ISPs. So yes it must be cater to them. 

4th

Stealth is invalid when you are supposed to kill all 6 bosses that are all attacking you at once since that would fit the "pack theme".

And come on they are in a pack.  That won't do unless you are exploiting the stealth mechanic of how dumb the AI is.

How about players that do not begin with a stealth frame like Mag or Excal ? 

They have to farm up a paris or kunai first ? Or they have to spend 20 minutes stealth killing stuff with their melee weapon to get to the boss ?

And after you killed everything, you still have to face the Hyenas who work in a pack ??

You suggested lowering health, but that alone won't do. If Hyena decides to chain spam shockwave, a solo player won't be getting up unless he has a good CC or CC immune skill.

Edited by fatpig84

Well, you'll notice that the increased farming part of the idea is the last one I mentioned, because it isn't the focus of the change. It would simply be a nice side effect. So attempting to hi-jack a thread with a relatively unrelated idea is incredibly rude and unprofessional for someone on the design council, who should probably exemplify the rules.

u no its my idea for a way to farm the stuff right or we can keep this very long slow boring system and deal with it (and i got grandmaster casue of platnium i dont even pay much attention to the DC at all)

First.

The Hyena is a low level boss.

A mid high level boss would be like Phorid, Ambulas and the Stalker. 

Level 40 and above. I am still expecting to see bosses in the 90s range soon.

Second.

Point conceded. I know I can solo Hyena early due to me getting very good mods, but not all have the luck.

3rd.

Game is coop yes, but not everyone can player coop due to terrible connections or ISPs. So yes it must be cater to them. 

4th

Stealth is invalid when you are supposed to kill all 6 bosses that are all attacking you at once since that would fit the "pack theme".

And come on they are in a pack.  That won't do unless you are exploiting the stealth mechanic of how dumb the AI is.

How about players that do not begin with a stealth frame like Mag or Excal ? 

They have to farm up a paris or kunai first ? Or they have to spend 20 minutes stealth killing stuff with their melee weapon to get to the boss ?

And after you killed everything, you still have to face the Hyenas who work in a pack ??

You suggested lowering health, but that alone won't do. If Hyena decides to chain spam shockwave, a solo player won't be getting up unless he has a good CC or CC immune skill.

Somewhere in the thread OP said they would only start stalking you once you set off the alarm. And I'm assuming that if you solo, the health and shields would be down to about equal with what it is currently, if not lower.

Also, OP, I like this idea. I just ran two mission on Hyena with a friend, and it was way too easy and boring. I have never fought it before today, and I was really underwhelmed. I'd love to see this pack type thing going on.

Somewhere in the thread OP said they would only start stalking you once you set off the alarm. And I'm assuming that if you solo, the health and shields would be down to about equal with what it is currently, if not lower.

Also, OP, I like this idea. I just ran two mission on Hyena with a friend, and it was way too easy and boring. I have never fought it before today, and I was really underwhelmed. I'd love to see this pack type thing going on.

But that is beside the point, you still have to kill all 6. Ammo consumption WILL be a huge concern. And look, unless you are going to one shot a Hyena (not likely barring super modded Ogris which new players don't have) or come up with a lame excuse that Hyenas are not linked by a simple radio, it will bring the house down.

Not just the Hyenas themselves, but the entire base, but thankfully regular Corpus are such push overs that you can just ignore them, till they lock you in with 4 to 5 Hyenas.

My first solo Hyena was futile. My weapon at that time was a Braton and I did not even have a Serration mod or any maxed out damage AP mods. It took me my entire ammo pool to even dent half his Hp since he could regenerate shields quickly between my reloads and I was spending a lot of rounds to dent his shields and not his HP.

Then later with a 75% Serration, 40% ROF boost, max AP and +25% ammo count, he became a walk over and i still got 150+ rounds to spare. Now with a Boar, I took like less than 3 reloads to burn him down. Mods are indeed the gear check of this game.

So if we are going to put 6 Hyenas, I can see new players getting overwhelmed very very quickly.

Edited by fatpig84

Really like the idea, I've suggested this quite a while ago.

I think having the Hyenas randomly scattered around the map is a little too unpredictable. You could end up with them being way too scattered to help each other, or have all the Hyenas too near the start of the map. It's better to just have them in one large unique arena with complex terrain.

Concerning numbers, I think it would be fair to have 3 Hyenas as a base for solo, and add one additional Hyena for every additional player present when the fight starts, so that's a maximum of 6.

Of course, their health and shields would have to be vastly reduced due to having multiple Hyenas. I think it would be fair to reduce their shields and health to one third the original, as well as reduce their shield recharge rate and increase recharge delay. Their minigun damage should also be reduced slightly. Also their rockets' homing capability should be reduced, as well as the damage, otherwise having 12 perfectly homing missiles would be too much.

Hyenas should also have better pathing, since right now it is incredibly easy to escape one simply by jumping off a platform (the Hyenas for some reason have to take the long way and use the stairs). Their pathing should be improved so that they can also use such "shortcuts" to pursuit players. Giving them the ability to wallrun would be awesome too.

Edited by Madotsuki