Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will this PC run Warframe at decent settings? and is this starting plan smart?

8bithamster

Question

So, I have been away quite a while. Tried playing on the PS4 and didn't like it all that much. But alas, my pc can't run Warframe at all (yay, fighting Jackall with a whopping 8 fps) so I decided to go for a new PC. But was wondering how people would rate the following specs on being able to run Warframe;

I5-6600 (not the K version, not interested in overclocking)
Msi Gforce 1070
2x 8GB Memory

My goal? To start streaming a noob's journey into warframe once again. 

For the other part,

I am looking at doing the following:

Start the game, follow the missions until I can start farming Rhino parts (last time I played (years ago) that was shortly after the Jackall boss I think). Unlock Rhino, farm items for the gun of the first boss, unlock it. And go Rhino until I can unlock some decent frames.

Cash wise, I am not looking at investing money into the game until I have a general idea of what I want to do with a frame gamestyle wise

9 answers to this question

starting with rhino sounds like a terrible idea

1. rhino might be easy but u wont learn to play
  2. i higly doubt that anyone wants to see rhino gameplay

although if u get a decent discount (50 or 75) u might want to invest a bit money earlyer since it will make ur progress easyer if u dont have to think about wich weapons to keep and wich to sell to make room for new stuff ofc u can although trade for the plat but im not sure how easy thats at the beginning of the game

I did the same thing to be honest (took a break and then came back, farmed for rhino, boss gun and so on)!  I liked Rhino because it was a frame I could solo things with, thanks to his iron skin.  I've acquired Inaros, thanks to a friend for the gift, and I LOVE this frame now!  I was hesitant to try him out because he has no shields, but his armor and health MORE than make up for it!  I was so focused on trying to get a better frame that I didn't focus on getting higher in Mastery Rank so I could get better weapons... just figured that out now haha (get more weapons to get a higher mastery rank to get BETTER weapons)!

Now as for the PC itself I think a i5 SHOULD be able to play WF (on lower settings)?!  Please, someone, let me know if I'm wrong because I've got a friend that's in the same boat and does not want to get a i7 computer.

I've got a i7 with a GeForce GT 650M and am able to run warframe settings on almost all things set to high!  I have to admit that my PC heats up a little with extended gameplay (or if there's a lot going on in-game), but that subsides and I've got a "HP Cool Sense" that helps cool my laptop off faster.  I know, I'm using a Laptop and MIGHT get some flak about it, but I'm limited on desk space and a laptop suits my needs perfectly at the moment (Literally my desk space is a 24 inch x 26 inch desk)!  So once I get out of where I'm at currently then I'm getting a stationary computer that's MEANT for gaming :D (so I can do all my other things on it as well)!  (Besides this thing has lasted me 5 years) *knocks on wood*

1 minute ago, deathcloud9999 said:

Those 3 combinations are more than enough to run warframe at 2k resolution or more. 

Thanks! Going a for a higher budget at the moment to have some future proof so to speak. Not having to replace my GPU/CPU next year will make it a lot easier :D

Rhino is a fairly powerful Frame, but he's admittedly pretty boring to play. Fun-wise, you'll probably get a lot more mileage out of any of the starter Frames. Mag and Volt are two fun but very different caster types, and Excalibur has some beefy abilities that let him excel in melee combat, with a hefty Armor rating to match.

As for finding other Frames, you may want to keep an eye out for Loki on Neptune, Ember on Saturn, or Nyx wherever Phorid rears his ugly head. They can all be fairly potent in the right hands, while each having a unique playstyle and purpose. Additionally, they should all be fairly easy to acquire. Mag even drops from Nef Anyo on Mars, too, so if you didn't opt for her initially you have a chance to reroll!

If you're in a Clan with a lot of research completed, you'll also find several Warframes available in the Tenno Lab (including Volt).

Beyond that, if you're so fortunate to happen upon any Prime Warframes, of course you'll want to make full use of them... or sell the parts to buy a Prime Frame you actually want!

As for your PC build, just make sure that you don't bottleneck the monster that is the 1070 TOO hard and you'll be sure to get hella performance. 16GB is plenty of memory, and I (admittedly) didn't do any research on the specific CPU you mentioned, but just be aware of the range of the difference between i5s and i7s (although from what I've heard i5s get pretty damn strong on the best models). Best of luck on your build!

Basic PC specs are good. Don't skimp on the power supply. Get something decent--not something that's $50 or less. Consider an SSD for at least the OS.

The i7 is usually considered overkill for gaming. However, there is a trend to using more cores and this is the primary advantage of the i7 over the i5. If you need the hyperthreading for something, then the i7 is the way to go. If you don't, then the i5 is perfectly fine. Gaming is still straddling the fence on multi-threading. If you're tight on cash, then the i5 is a good option to save a bit.

The more you spend now, the less you'll have to spend later on upgrades, but there is a point of diminishing returns. My older machine (it'll be seven years old this Aug) was bleeding edge when I bought it and it's still running fine (it was originally a 2500K/580GTX). It's only had one upgrade (last year) and that was the GPU--and only that because the old GPU failed (it did need replacement, but it was still chugging away fairly well when it met its fate).

Lastly, get Win10. It is that much better than Win7, especially if SSD management is an issue. Don't be bamboozled by pseudo-luddite foolishness when it comes to a new OS. Get Win10.

16 hours ago, Sloan441 said:

Basic PC specs are good. Don't skimp on the power supply. Get something decent--not something that's $50 or less. Consider an SSD for at least the OS.

The i7 is usually considered overkill for gaming. However, there is a trend to using more cores and this is the primary advantage of the i7 over the i5. If you need the hyperthreading for something, then the i7 is the way to go. If you don't, then the i5 is perfectly fine. Gaming is still straddling the fence on multi-threading. If you're tight on cash, then the i5 is a good option to save a bit.

The more you spend now, the less you'll have to spend later on upgrades, but there is a point of diminishing returns. My older machine (it'll be seven years old this Aug) was bleeding edge when I bought it and it's still running fine (it was originally a 2500K/580GTX). It's only had one upgrade (last year) and that was the GPU--and only that because the old GPU failed (it did need replacement, but it was still chugging away fairly well when it met its fate).

Lastly, get Win10. It is that much better than Win7, especially if SSD management is an issue. Don't be bamboozled by pseudo-luddite foolishness when it comes to a new OS. Get Win10.

I work as a Sys Admin myself, and seeing the hate against windows 10 does make me chuckle at times. Power supply I'm going for a 550W from Corsair (Modular) which should run it decent enough.