Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What happens if a weapon gains greater than 100% status chance?

zoobmer

Question

I recently got a lesion, (an amazing weapon that can easily handle level 20s without mods) and came up with a build for it. Than I realized something: my final build (once I get voltaic strike, a potato, and enough forma to build it) will use 4 mods that each give it +60% status chance and +60% elemental damage. The weapon already has 30% status chance, so here's how the final amount of status chance will be calculated:

30%×(1+4×(60/100))=

30%×(1+2.4)=

30%×3.4=

102%>100%

So that means it will have a greater than 100% chance of status proc. What would that mean? I would assume that would cause it to proc 100% of the time, but what happens with that extra 2%? Does it not count towards anything? Does it increase the chance of causing to procs at the same time? Will the final build just say "100% status chance" and ignore the extra 2% entirely? What would this mean for the extra poison damage that happens when lesion procs? Am I just over thinking the whole thing and should just wait till my build is finished to find out?

6 answers to this question

First of all, yes Lesion is a very powerful melee weapon and when modded properly, it can take down lvl 100+ enemies with a fair bit of ease.

As for your question...that's the part that many of us criticize DE for balancing Status vs Crit. They're usually considered the two different options for modding a weapon since we have so few mod slots, generally enhancing one of those will sacrifice the other to some capacity. Status adds NO benefit for having over 100% status effect chance, whereas >100% crit chance can offer a chance for red crits. I'm guessing the reason is because statuses are more complex than just the mundane numbers of crit. What would it "mean" to proc a 125% status chance radiation proc? Twice the duration? 125% status chance Corrosive proc? Twice the effectiveness? In terms of balancing, we have 8 different elemental types and effects and they'd all have to be defined what it means to get an over-cap bonus. I don't think DE really thought of this and I haven't seen any evidence that DE is working on this (yet).

Sadly nothing. 
Just guaranteed proc on hit really. 

If there was a red status effect and the status mods were a bit better overall (+10% status on a maxed mod really lmao) things could get very fun :D

3 minutes ago, Jbob98 said:

It means there is a 2% chance to do another proc on top of the first one.

For example: 100% Viral proc with a 2% chance to also Slash proc in that same attack.

That's actually not true. That happens only for primary/secondaries with multishot adding "double" procs since they're shooting twice with potentially different status procs. It's not truly over 100% status chance per pellet. For melee weapons, overcapping status chance simply causes it to hard-cap at 100%.

Just now, Radjehuty said:

That's actually not true. That happens only for primary/secondaries with multishot adding "double" procs since they're shooting twice with potentially different status procs. It's not truly over 100% status chance per pellet. For melee weapons, overcapping status chance simply causes it to hard-cap at 100%.

If you say so.

They should add the chance to do more statuses at once with "red procs". however, 2% lost potential isn't anything to loose sleep over, and I think I'd rather figure out if I should put anything in my empty mod slot.