Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Feedback And Rework Suggestion

Volt_Cruelerz

Very well thought out rework, OP!  I really like the emphasis on the chain lightning effect and stacking electric damage.  Energize is pretty awesome and give him the passive damage boost he needs to start being a useful caster, and I agree with you that the Volt's current shield belongs on a frame that is focused on gun play.  

If Volt were like this, I would actually start using him.

Edited by McCrabby

Love the ideas +1

VOLT is in need of more love.

Also, if I may propose my personal idea, I'd like to see the "shock" ability to have an effect like the

"Star Wars Sith" lightning does in the movie;

a small cone of AOE damage, immobilizing enemies caught within the radius for a duration, working kind of

like throwing an electric net over a group of enemies.

http://youtu.be/i8j52Pvbk64?t=13s

Excalibur and Ash aren't even remotely overpowered compared to other frames at all.  Just "decent", not good just decent. 

They need those 2 abilities to even stay in the playing field as their ultimate abilities scale really really terribly (target limit, targeting issues etc).

Volt's ultimate fails against 1/3 of the enemies in game at low and mid levels. And at higher levels totally ineffective against 2/3 the enemies in game.  At least the other 2 frames have an ultimate that ignores armor but with their own set of huge issues. So he needs a reliable "1" like the 2 above.

The reason why Volt needs a spell that ignores resist is the same as why Ember needs a 91% damage reduction against other factions with a Max OH build, it is to bring him out of Corpus and Grineer only games. At least for Ember, even if Fire damage suck royally against Grineer, she can still tank and play a run and gun.

Edit:

Shock needs to be Chain shock with added effect.

Shock

25 Energy.

Deal 200/300/400/500 Electrical damage.

Bounces 2/4/6/8 targets

Ignore enemies resistance

Damage reduced by 20% per hop.

I guess I can kinda understand what you mean there.  I'm personally inclined to disagree with it, but if Volt were given this, I wouldn't be upset by it.

Very well thought out rework, OP!  I really like the emphasis on the chain lightning effect and stacking electric damage.  Energize is pretty awesome and give him the passive damage boost he needs to start being a useful caster, and I agree with you that the Volt's current shield belongs on a frame that is focused on gun play.  

If Volt were like this, I would actually start using him.

Thanks!

Love the ideas +1

VOLT is in need of more love.

Also, if I may propose my personal idea, I'd like to see the "shock" ability to have an effect like the

"Star Wars Sith" lightning does in the movie;

a small cone of AOE damage, immobilizing enemies caught within the radius for a duration, working kind of

like throwing an electric net over a group of enemies.

http://youtu.be/i8j52Pvbk64?t=13s

I too would be okay with it being more focused on CC than damage, but I'd rather the focus on damage.  That's just me though since I see his [1] as being the reason to use abilities instead of guns for primary damage.

Honestly, the only reason I ever use volt is for speed. I use speed, continuity, and rush to quickly get to a boss. My weapons are generally powerful enough to not rely on the frame. I would love to see it get a rework. Currently, it's not even great vs corpus

Boom...

Completely Agree.

I’ll take a additional stride here op, and say all frames (ex Vauban) need a redressing /amending/revising.

Yes they are what they are… yada, yada… (understood)

Yet many have remained comparatively unchanged/untouched since closed beta, so yeah change dat sh** boiiiz.  

Seriously alternatives need to be added, especially for players who’ve been hitting the frames for some time, give us some new alternatives, Volt the caster…

…more please, go further DE.

Take that road DE, hey variety,  variations, blends mix up the formula. Mix up the formula before you paint yourselves into a proverbial corner. 

I love your suggestions. The Volt frame is basically useless in anything except Corpus missions.

Chain Lightning's low cost is balanced by low-ish damage - however, against low level Corpus, 7 energy for an entire mob? I think either 10 or 15 energy would be more balanced. Even 25 energy is good.

Ionize look interesting... Except... would it stop enemies from shooting you to death? Perhaps it should reduce damage take against as well.

Energize costs 50 energy... Interesting. So... it increases speed of both Melee and Run speed. However, to use the other effect, you'd have to use either Chain Lightning or Overload. Maybe Ionize should cost 50 energy, and this should cost 25. 

In other words, Ionize should be something like Overheat (Ember).

Overload looks fine.

In other words:

Chain Lightning (15 energy)

Energize (25 energy) - Increase movement speed, increase melee speed (By slightly lesser amounts, maybe 40%/25%).

Ionize (50 Energy) - Increase electric damage dealt to enemies around Volt.  Reduce damage taken.

Overload - Same as before.

I love your suggestions. The Volt frame is basically useless in anything except Corpus missions.

Chain Lightning's low cost is balanced by low-ish damage - however, against low level Corpus, 7 energy for an entire mob? I think either 10 or 15 energy would be more balanced. Even 25 energy is good.

Ionize look interesting... Except... would it stop enemies from shooting you to death? Perhaps it should reduce damage take against as well.

Energize costs 50 energy... Interesting. So... it increases speed of both Melee and Run speed. However, to use the other effect, you'd have to use either Chain Lightning or Overload. Maybe Ionize should cost 50 energy, and this should cost 25. 

In other words, Ionize should be something like Overheat (Ember).

Overload looks fine.

In other words:

Chain Lightning (15 energy)

Energize (25 energy) - Increase movement speed, increase melee speed (By slightly lesser amounts, maybe 40%/25%).

Ionize (50 Energy) - Increase electric damage dealt to enemies around Volt.  Reduce damage taken.

Overload - Same as before.

CL: 7 ammo could easily kill a mob of low-level Corpus as well provided the gun was modded.  In the same way, an upgraded [1] ought to be able to kill them as well.  I see no issue with this.

Ionize: What do you mean by stop enemies from shooting you to death?  It'll interrupt what they're doing if it's something that's charging but that's about it.  It's a really brief stun.  The shield regen still won't be fast enough that you'll be regening while they're shooting at you or anything.

Energize: I could see the swap, but I'm personally against it.  The boosted damage is quite significant.  It also lets you continue from one room to the next whereas Ionize is basically just for enemies within the room.  This is of course in addition to the speed and melee boosts.

CL: 7 ammo could easily kill a mob of low-level Corpus as well provided the gun was modded.  In the same way, an upgraded [1] ought to be able to kill them as well.  I see no issue with this.

Ionize: What do you mean by stop enemies from shooting you to death?  It'll interrupt what they're doing if it's something that's charging but that's about it.  It's a really brief stun.  The shield regen still won't be fast enough that you'll be regening while they're shooting at you or anything.

Energize: I could see the swap, but I'm personally against it.  The boosted damage is quite significant.  It also lets you continue from one room to the next whereas Ionize is basically just for enemies within the room.  This is of course in addition to the speed and melee boosts.

But.... 7 energy? That's a bit cheap for even just 100 damage, to multiple enemies. Then 300 damage, to multiple enemies (3 mod stat points?)

Ionize, on the other hand, increases damage by quite a bit. 20% extra? That helps quite a bit. That's why I think it deserves the 3rd slot and 50 energy. Especially if it reduced damage.

Energize replaces Speed, doesn't it? Even if it increases melee DPS. And it's kinda redundant for two skills to increase damage. So, without the damage increase, I think it's right for it to have the second slot and 25 energies.

And I feel that it makes more sense that Ionize both increases allies' armors and decrease enemies armor.

But.... 7 energy? That's a bit cheap for even just 100 damage, to multiple enemies. Then 300 damage, to multiple enemies (3 mod stat points?)

Ionize, on the other hand, increases damage by quite a bit. 20% extra? That helps quite a bit. That's why I think it deserves the 3rd slot and 50 energy. Especially if it reduced damage.

Energize replaces Speed, doesn't it? Even if it increases melee DPS. And it's kinda redundant for two skills to increase damage. So, without the damage increase, I think it's right for it to have the second slot and 25 energies.

And I feel that it makes more sense that Ionize both increases allies' armors and decrease enemies armor.

It is a caster frame.  If it's not incredibly low, when are people going to ever actually hit [1] if they know they have [4].  Yes, it dwarfs every other [1] power, but it's the primary attack for a frame that's supposed to be an "alternative to gunplay."

I could see Ionize getting a bit of a boost and swapping them I guess..  They are a bit redundant.  I'll look into it.

These are all good frame ideas, but what about those who actually like Volt's kit as is. It seems more like they just need to change the tooltip from "potent alternative to gunplay" to "varied and adaptable caster armed with skills to tackle a wide variety of situations" and tweak his 1st skill.

I really like having both Elec. Shield and Speed on the same frame, giving him the tools to deal with a changing situation and never be left high and dry. Able to support allies, quickly go defensive when the going gets tough but also seek out priority targets and swiftly run out to deal with them, he seems like a pretty good adaptable frame, the only issue I see is the tooltop being grossly misleading.

That said, making is so speed increases attack speed is a great change and I really like your ideas for his first.

These are all good frame ideas, but what about those who actually like Volt's kit as is. It seems more like they just need to change the tooltip from "potent alternative to gunplay" to "varied and adaptable caster armed with skills to tackle a wide variety of situations" and tweak his 1st skill.

I really like having both Elec. Shield and Speed on the same frame, giving him the tools to deal with a changing situation and never be left high and dry. Able to support allies, quickly go defensive when the going gets tough but also seek out priority targets and swiftly run out to deal with them, he seems like a pretty good adaptable frame, the only issue I see is the tooltop being grossly misleading.

That said, making is so speed increases attack speed is a great change and I really like your ideas for his first.

I don't feel though that this is in the best interest of the general playerbase though.  When people selected the frame, they did so on account of that tooltip.  And as I said in the OP, I'd be fine if some of his characteristics in the existing frame got ripped apart and split into two different frames.  Heck, if the other gunslinger frame had base move speed that was around 1.3, I'd be fine with that.

It is a caster frame.  If it's not incredibly low, when are people going to ever actually hit [1] if they know they have [4].  Yes, it dwarfs every other [1] power, but it's the primary attack for a frame that's supposed to be an "alternative to gunplay."

Oh! I get it now. Yeah, I understand. But 7 energy is still too low for such a skill. 15 energy is a decent amount.

Energy should be like Ember's. 150.0 Energy -> 250.0, especially you want to focus on the "Lightning Mage" aspect of it. (Since Ember's basically Fire Witch.)

Maybe reduce Health, but increase Shields? Close to Mag's stats, then. (150 -> 450 Shields, 75 -> 225 Health).

Armor should be pretty low. 10.0 is low enough.

Oh! I get it now. Yeah, I understand. But 7 energy is still too low for such a skill. 15 energy is a decent amount.

Energy should be like Ember's. 150.0 Energy -> 250.0, especially you want to focus on the "Lightning Mage" aspect of it. (Since Ember's basically Fire Witch.)

Maybe reduce Health, but increase Shields? Close to Mag's stats, then. (150 -> 450 Shields, 75 -> 225 Health).

Armor should be pretty low. 10.0 is low enough.

Tweaked a few things.  See what you think of it.

Tweaked a few things.  See what you think of it.

Well, you have shields from 100 -> 400. Scaling works by level 30 shields are 3x unranked.

So either 100 -> 300 or 150 -> 450.

Do these ability ignore armor?

Personally, I think they should. Armor is metal, and should conduct electricity.