June 20Th: Community Hot Topics

[DE]Rebecca

OK SO HERE'S THE DEAL. STALKER SUITS TO BE WON, A STALKER SUIT IS VERY HARD TO GET (PERHAPS ONLY 1  EXISTS AND IS OWNED BY THE OVERALL WINNER OF PVP BATTLES?) AND ALLOWS YOU TO USE ANY FOUR OF THE OTHER FRAMES ABILITIES, MAYBE ALSO LETS YOU CHOOSE A PAY OFF AGAINST POWER, HEALTH, SPEED ECT WHEN YOU FIRST GET IT. DOJO POLARITIES? TREAT IT LIKE A RELIGION WE (OUR CLAN) WORSHIP THE v OR THE - FOR EXAMPLE, GIVE MEMBERS OF THE CLAN AN 11TH SLOT THAT IS NON-FORMERABLE AND INITIALLY STARTS OUT AS A NON MATCHING SLOT DOES AND COST EXTRA TO PUT A MOD IN IT, THROUGH SPECIFIC MISSIONS YOU CAN MAKE IT NEUTRAL AND THEN EVENTUALLY THE WORSHIPPED POLARISATION OF YOUR CLAN AS YOU BECOME MORE PIOUS THROUGH CLAN AUTHORISED MISSIONS. yeah I wrote in caps.......what you gonna do about it?    

Hey did you guys notice about the new Frame ? Was wondering how we can name it . I've had in mind a very cool name , Pandora ! (well maybe IMO because that frame use antimatter and Pandora suits that frame best ) 

I am happy to see that you are addressing some things I would seek to complain about. Its rare to see this fast of a response to issues even in a beta. I cannot make forum topics, And I find this the best place to voice my opinions presently available on the forums I have access to.

I'll start with the negative then love up on you with some positive.

1. "welcome to the game" is fairly confusing and sub standard. I have played a lot of like type free to play shooters such as global agenda, planetside as well as similar "mod" based games non free to play such as the whole tribes franchise one thing I notice they have that you seem to lack that may give your game a huge boost at full release is a story driven first few missions explaining your place in this universe and why the Tenno have declared all out war on every space faring species. As well as the descriptions of the "council" we hear about from lotus in the missions to assassinate said council members. perhaps a bit more of an explanation on where the infested came from and why they came about or if that is meant to be secret make a mission that highlights that story wise and the claustrophobic fear they would instill on someone maybe less equipped to handle the issue than a warframed Tenno. Perhaps why the grineer and the corpus went down the paths they did, what events transpired to make them so ?

2. A game about tweak needs to make the tweak and customization far less frustrating, Forma, catalysts and such are drastically to hard to get even frustrating me on weapons and frames I payed real money for. the amount of player joy available if it where easier to constantly reset your equipment to customize it further needs to be more readily available and if you still want to make that a money making part of the system (I would avoid this) make each reset do less so although you can make some progress much quicker it will take more trips to achieve the same thing thus your impatient players will still choose the real money route. maybe make the symbols stack a -1 to cost of matching slot on reset thus making it possible to forma the same slot like 12 times making an ability free but you had to reset it that many times to get there. Then make your forma a completely common blueprint drop and quick to make but that same player realizes they may need to flip that gun like 10 times to get what they want. warframes "spells / abilities" need to be far less of the cost of equipping as some warframes are drastically effected by how much more they can equip due to there few viable abilities being incredibly expensive to equip. (Loki and mag come to mind)

3. Ability "Clunk" Stealth omg stealth I started with a loki and almost quit the game before I got another suit. when you stealth your sentinel is still visible and they just shoot it and occasionally you by accident while stealthed super frustrating. Then you get shade and you think awesome this will solve that problem now shade will cloak us both but it doesn't cloak you at max rank until you are in close range and under that only when in the enemies pants and you need to attack anyway. Then there's the fact that revenge frequently triggers while you are stealthed due to incindental damage or because you happen to take a hit as you where stealthing and unstealths you. the weapons supposedly that "don't break stealth" frequently break shade stealth (kunai, despair, paras etc.)
      Several other abilities are incredibly glitch ridden like swap teleport frequently reporting "invalid target" on a completely valid target that will only seconds later be a swappable target successfully. Or aoe abilities excecutable on the ground frequently returning "cannot be executed in the air" while you have not even jumped the entire mission or melee randomly turning off entirely requiring you to jump in a hole to restore or play the rest of the mission melee free if there is no hole handy.

4. Game balance I know its a beta and projecting what players will do is very difficult and no plan survives contact with the enemy intact so I don't begrudge you a second for the balance problems I see i'm just bringing them forward. After much frustration with my loki not being able to put out any real damage or solo missions much or really participate in much of a team environment any more than "that guy everyone is carrying" I spoke with my friend about the same thing he was playing a mag and felt the same way my other friend was playing Excalibur to which he said you spam sword dash and win. I personally experienced this when my level 6 rhino passed the maximum health I will ever be able to get as a loki and my abilities made me feel like a god compared to my loki literally completely ignoring enemy types as they "cant hurt me" my default 25 energy ability maybe charge is 50 idk out performs my entire kit on loki executed on a single target and absolutely dwarfs its performance on a group of 5 guys standing next to each other and the rhino has 3 more abilities that all pretty much are that much better than using all 4 abilities on loki a whopping 200 energy and cat like reflexes to pull off. and I got to thinking I think I know what's wrong with loki they have a lot of abilities that are unique and set you up for something but there isn't something at the end of the rainbow. if invisibility is the loki frame's strength why aren't the other abilities able to exploit the "stealth status" like the ashe can ? maybe make the loki the single target assassin while the ashe focus's on aoe.

Then you have your caster frames i'll tell you the number one concern I have for the caster frames is that they don't have a means of perpetuating their special abilities save the rage mod I think a mod that gives you some energy back per kill or perhaps regens energy slowly is needed as one hit from a disrupter takes you out of commission entirely. Targetting can be an issue on these frames especially when trying to target a friendly in a mob of infested im not sure of the specifics on how this might be fixed save maybe a fixed target function and making squad mates numbered from 1(You) to 4 and set target then fire ability ?

You have too many frames with answers for every situation and then frames with answers for no situations The rhino,saryn, and frost seems to be able to handle all situations the loki the mag seem to have almost no answers to situations.

Melee weapons need more defined classes and should probably fit into 3 roles (Crowd control(heavy weapons), Assassination(charge attackers), brawlers(tap melee button)) inside these 3 main groups you need trade offs in the heavy weapons categories faster attack and more damage should be the trade for more aoe and crowd control.

Heavy Weapons:: fast charge time :: effect smallest being like 90 degree arc or more focusing on effectively mitigating the incoming damage from 5 enemies or more through knock up knock down taser or emp like effects etc. possibly on the extreme crowd controlling individuals on a non charge attack.

Assassination :: long charge times :: you need weapons that hit once for immense armor penetrating damage or weapons that execute a chain combo once charged for applying poison or other debuffs in stacks aoe here should never be more than 2-3 targets small cone in front this could be an opportunity to make the game look flashier for release by making this an almost cut scene like attack and such a class of weapons would make the loki more viable.

Brawlers :: midrange in all attributes :: average charge time :: will be the most diverse and will bridge the gap between assassin and heavy weapons attacking or crowd controlling between 3-5 targets generally lower the charge damage from assassin but also the charge time.

4. Weapon diversity : you are missing lobber weapons(Grenades(not counting the 1 frames ability) grenade launchers, rocket launchers, plasma rifles, laser weapons(I hear rumor this is coming), crowd control tank style weapons for melee (heavy knock down/knock up mechanics maybe low damage offset), disrupter ancient style weapons that disrupt enemy shields(counter corpus), Utility weapons or abilities used to take cover away from the enemy aka pushing them out of their spot so they have no cover. you could probably use weapons that are meant to debuff / corrode enemy armor for grineer. Weapons that heal could be good in case a trinity isn't available on tower raid night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a deep breath vent the programmer rage here comes the strengths I see even in a beta stage of this game.

1. controls responsiveness :: absolutely amazing for a beta client smooth running / wall jumping , crazy back flips, slide shooting WOW I mean WOW you guys got this right makes me feel like i'm playing a john wu film. Tons of different melee moves (melee, slide melee, air melee, charge melee, execute melee)

2. Sure is puuurdy :: Stunning graphics and visuals even the motion males you feel immersed when you run your vision sort of narrows a bit. the attention to detail on the framed guns and enemies absolutely top notch for the genre I have played purchase cinematic rpgs with less graphical acumen Pat yourselves on the back.

3. Suits with different roles I really like this feature its one of the main reasons I played global agenda so long having suits that fill roles and make up a team that are mod-able and equip able is a huge tweak fun factor.

4. I feel like it needs to be expanded upon but the different mission types is nice as "shoot them all" gets boring but on the stealth missions maybe a lot more emphasis on actual stealth could be good.

5. lots of upgradeability, I mentioned the frustration that getting into upgrading is hard but the sheer amount of customizability and maximum ability to make each suit and weapon your own is tremendous for beta.

6. Crafting system the actual resource gathering and crafting system I like maybe the craft times are a bit long as it does not detract from other gameplay you do it "while on a mission"

7. Hot jumping into your friends instance :: You have no idea how many games previous I wish had this feature.

8. Intense combat many of the enemies really come right at you. I would like to see maybe a larger range of tactics used by the enemies(maybe corpus taking cover and trying to turtle you out) or the grineer occassionally executing assault tactics like frag and charge.) but getting swarmed by infestation makes you feel like your trying to survive the zombie apocalypse and I respect that.

9. Making you feel resourceful by guiding you on missions through air ducts under stairs etc. wall jumping to shortcut a trip.

10. heads up display love the location and visibility of ammo weapon and map. only rarely does the map get confusing on where it wants me to go.

11. Most everything but cosmetic changes is attainable by playing the game no investment required my favorite micro transaction game ever league of legends holds the single largest amount of money I have ever spent on a free to play game and you only have to buy skins on that game everything else is attainable by hard work. Its just every time I spent money I said to myself I play this game every day "they deserve it". I could see this game attaining the same status for me if more of the daily needed things become more accessible.

12. outside of the forma/catalyst part of the game and having to buy inventory slots,  I think the prices are good 5$ can buy you something on this game and likely something you want bad. so many competing free to play games right now have outrageous prices marvel heroes comes to mind where a character will cost you $20. if I can plunk down $5 and get something interesting I'm going to plunk down 5$ 100 times more in my life than I will $20 for one neat feature on a game.

13. Twitch TV OMG twitch TV and PS4 twitch TV DO it ! It is amazing and I think you are great for popularizing this more.

14. Response time many of the complaints I was going to drop or did drop are already being reviewed and will likely be fixed by release.