Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Foundry/ Weapon Customization/ Contracts Mockup [Pics]

Tangerine

Just some ideas and mockups.

Disclaimer: All numbers, that is stats, upgrades, rewards etc. are just for presentation and do not represent any attempt at balance. I also understand some people don't like simple text as buttons, but I got lazy and my layers in photoshop are very disorganized.

PK43OFX.jpg

06KmVbE.jpg

!! Foundry Queuing - Queue a weapon up for building even if you lack the resources. Once you automatically gain the required resources via missions or rewards, the weapon will automatically begin building. !!

EguJrYU.jpg

!! Weapon Modification - Obtain parts from random drops, alerts or build them via blueprints in store. Apart from changing weapon appearance, they also drastically alter stats and change properties/playstyle moreso than mod cards. Each weapon part has a name to contribute the finalized modded weapon. Modifications are limited to a small number, in this case 3, to encourage unique creations. Parts cost alot to take out to ensure your weapon feels 'final', but you can always modify an entirely new weapon. !!

qyGVBA2.jpg

rbMeymD.jpg

ywyUbp3.jpg

8Qktr4t.jpg

!! Contracts !!

kg9K4hH.jpg

!! Contracts - An idea of an updated daily login reward system. Every 24 hours you can choose one of 3 contracts for the day. All have randomized objectives and rewards depending on their category. Contracts can have different playstyles, i.e. stealth, defensive, skill, offensive and have randomized code names accordingly (e.g. Stealth/Melee = Breath, Gust, Gale, Eclipse / Defensive = Castle, Bulwark, Iron, Fortitude); these are just names and nothing more. Rewards are calculated by a simple equation. e.g. for a Breath Contract, "Stealth kill X number of enemies" is a resource-pool reward objective, meaning it's reward will always be a resource like rubedo/salvage. X is a random variable and changes the amount of resource given as a reward. Some objectives can act as reward multipliers to others, (i.e. Breath Contract, Kill Vay Hek Using Only Melee, multiplies the resource reward of "Stealth kill X" by a 1.3 or whatever). There can be rare objectives spawned for your daily contract which give rewards like Forma, Void Keys or even blueprints. May even be possible for rare contracts to spawn with top tier rewards but difficult objectives. !!

Edited by Tangerine

Looks good!

Maybe the modification idea should be changed to Forma, and it just looking different based on how you polarized it, but that would take a lot of work I expect.

I agree with the above poster that mods make weapon upgrading slightly redundant.

Edited by ValhaHazred

Scrap weapon modification. This is what mods were made for. This game isn't CoD.

Other things are fine though.

o.O It is only in CoD that you are allow to modify your gun? Oh I must pay $70 for that now that you mention it             <(Complete 100% sarcasm in case your sarcasmometer is broken)

I really like the idea of weapon modifications, add in flashlights,lasers and for snipers, different type of scopes and stuff like that would make this game even better in customizing. It is all about customizing. OP you have my +1

I am not so sure on the last idea though :S

I totally agree with your ideas, man! They're great.

I love weapon customization and not just plain aesthetical. It gives move uniqueness at the weapons we're using.

Also contracts are very nice. Developers should take a look at your thread.

Ah, and nice mockups!

Scrap weapon modification. This is what mods were made for. This game isn't CoD.

Other things are fine though.

I was just thinking of a mechanic which could drastically alter weapons beyond simple linear upgrades, like mods. Mods themselves are just percentile increases, which doesn't give much incentive beyond using mods that fit the stats of the weapons (e.g. crit chance for high crit weapons or rate of fire for high rof weapons). With a flat number modification, you could change the way the weapons play out whilst complementing the usage of mods. Increasing the flat number accuracy on a Grakata would bring out more benefits from an accuracy mod on it for example. More customization is always good.

Also aesthetic customization is neat. I know CoD has it's collective of hate but it isn't the only game with weapon modification.

Edited by Tangerine

o.O It is only in CoD that you are allow to modify your gun? Oh I must pay $70 for that now that you mention it             <(Complete 100% sarcasm in case your sarcasmometer is broken)

I really like the idea of weapon modifications, add in flashlights,lasers and for snipers, different type of scopes and stuff like that would make this game even better in customizing. It is all about customizing. OP you have my +1

I am not so sure on the last idea though :S

Nice strawman there, read the next reply. Completely missing my point isn't excuse to ridicule by putting words I haven't said in my mouth. Reading comprehension seems rare in forums.

I was just thinking of a mechanic which could drastically alter weapons beyond simple linear upgrades, like mods. Mods themselves are just percentile increases, which doesn't give much incentive beyond using mods that fit the stats of the weapons (e.g. crit chance for high crit weapons or rate of fire for high rof weapons). With a flat number modification, you could change the way the weapons play out whilst complementing the usage of mods. Increasing the flat number accuracy on a Grakata would bring out more benefits from an accuracy mod on it for example. More customization is always good.

Also aesthetic customization is neat. I know CoD has it's collective of hate but it isn't the only game with weapon modification.

Problem being, that's what mods are for. Weapon customization. I'm not saying that visual customization shouldn't be there at all, I'm saying that's what mods are for. No need to add more complexity. Use what we have.

Nice strawman there, read the next reply. Completely missing my point isn't excuse to ridicule by putting words I haven't said in my mouth. Reading comprehension seems rare in forums.

Problem being, that's what mods are for. Weapon customization. I'm not saying that visual customization shouldn't be there at all, I'm saying that's what mods are for. No need to add more complexity. Use what we have.

I was talking about mods and weapon parts existing in duality. The former entirely beneficial percentile increases and the latter flat numbers which gives both cons and pros, so players are able to entirely change the way their weapons handle beyond making them hit harder or fire faster. e.g. in the OP example, Braton turns from a medium/long range rifle with normal stats to a powerful close range weapon.

Mods are for making your weapon better, the idea I put forward is changing your weapon entirely.

Of course it's just an idea, there would be more bigger implications than this putting in a system like this. But just an idea, I'm a big fan of customization and mods just feel too vanilla for me, simple linear stat increases aren't my thing. Of course DE could always take it ways ahead.

I was talking about mods and weapon parts existing in duality. The former entirely beneficial percentile increases and the latter flat numbers which gives both cons and pros, so players are able to entirely change the way their weapons handle beyond making them hit harder or fire faster. e.g. in the OP example, Braton turns from a medium/long range rifle with normal stats to a powerful close range weapon.

Mods are for making your weapon better, the idea I put forward is changing your weapon entirely.

Of course it's just an idea, there would be more bigger implications than this putting in a system like this. But just an idea, I'm a big fan of customization and mods just feel too vanilla for me, simple linear stat increases aren't my thing. Of course DE could always take it ways ahead.

Ideas are always appreciated. I don't think that DE has plans for something like this anytime soon, as far as the weapon modifications (parts not mods) go.

However, I have to say that I'd really like a more intuitive interface that links the foundry with the interface. Anything to make transitioning between menus more smooth is a welcome addition. The current interface is too clunky without options for quickly equipping/unequipping mods, saving loadouts, categorizing foundry items to make finding them faster, etc.

Again, reading comprehension of forums. I'm saying your idea is fine IF incorporated in such way that mods make those visual customizations. Adding extra levels of complexity on customization isn't better, it's way better to make it into simple yet refined way of customization. We have basis for such system already - mods. We should work with the basis, not creating new levels of complexity.

As long as the weapon modifications don't look THAT ridiculous, then I support it. Also like the idea of contracts.

I tend to agree, they should be minor instead of eyesore that most games make it out to be. Then again, Loadout managed to find an innovative system that made eyesore customization and modification into amazing gimmick that game is based on.

Again, reading comprehension of forums. I'm saying your idea is fine IF incorporated in such way that mods make those visual customizations. Adding extra levels of complexity on customization isn't better, it's way better to make it into simple yet refined way of customization. We have basis for such system already - mods. We should work with the basis, not creating new levels of complexity.

I tend to agree, they should be minor instead of eyesore that most games make it out to be. Then again, Loadout managed to find an innovative system that made eyesore customization and modification into amazing gimmick that game is based on.

No mate, I get what you're saying. You think the current system is apt and prefer it's simplicity, and is a good enough base mechanic to build on for customization. But what I'm saying is I would prefer a more wildcard form of customization in addition to mods, a mechanic that gives both pros and cons and changes the the basic nature of the weapons.

I was just explaining the mechanic's difference from the existing mod system and it's possible benefits in lieu of you saying the existing system is satisfactory. The mod system will improve, but as it stands it remains a linear progression in that you're only ever improving their stats and it looks to remain as such a system.

Ultimately it comes down to preference, whether one prefers simple customization or more complex. I'm just putting forward the idea something that does more than increase weapon stats, that is all. I wouldn't mind if we retained the current system, the biggest thing I really would campaign for is some visual customization of weapons, though like  Reemer said, probably not as outrageous as I shooped.

Edited by Tangerine

Great idea's, but why not just make it so the mods you slap on a gun can change it's appearance? Or, better yet, do that and make it so you could...."weld" a mod to a gun, making it a permenant part of it, but giving some benefits, like it would use up less energy, let's say 1/4th if welded in a non matching polarity slot, 3/4ths if welded in a polarity slot. And by welding it in that spot, you get a little custom appearance to your gun, like say you weld a fire damage mod to your braton, you get little flamethrower like peice attached to the end of the barrel. Or weld Hawkeye to to a pistol, a little scope appears.

This would sort of encourage players to create custom builds for their weapons and have certain ones focused purely for one thing, rather than trying to cram as much damage onto one gun as possible.

Oh, and of course adding mods that do other things, like turning a gun into a laser weapon, changing the firing type from say full auto to single shot, stuff like that.

No mate, I get what you're saying. You think the current system is apt and prefer it's simplicity, and is a good enough base mechanic to build on for customization. But what I'm saying is I would prefer a more wildcard form of customization in addition to mods, a mechanic that gives both pros and cons and changes the the basic nature of the weapons.

I was just explaining the mechanic's difference from the existing mod system and it's possible benefits in lieu of you saying the existing system is satisfactory. The mod system will improve, but as it stands it remains a linear progression in that you're only ever improving their stats and it looks to remain as such a system.

Ultimately it comes down to preference, whether one prefers simple customization or more complex. I'm just putting forward the idea something that does more than increase weapon stats, that is all. I wouldn't mind if we retained the current system, the biggest thing I really would campaign for is some visual customization of weapons, though like  Reemer said, probably not as outrageous as I shooped.

Yes I do see where you're coming from due to no downsides to mods. But there should be something else to combat that, maybe randomized mods stats. Would be a nice way to add endgame content that way, randomized gear makes people want to grind to achieve that optimal setup. Mods can be more exotic than they are now, and that's the suggestion DE should pay attention to, they need to step out of their comfort zone.

Are different weapon part modifications needed? Hardly. Can mod system be flexible enough to compensate for that? Definitely.

Yes I do see where you're coming from due to no downsides to mods. But there should be something else to combat that, maybe randomized mods stats. Would be a nice way to add endgame content that way, randomized gear makes people want to grind to achieve that optimal setup. Mods can be more exotic than they are now, and that's the suggestion DE should pay attention to, they need to step out of their comfort zone.

Are different weapon part modifications needed? Hardly. Can mod system be flexible enough to compensate for that? Definitely.

Wait, randomized gear? Mods used to be like that right? I remember hearing about that, the mods were randomized and you had to grind and grind and grind to get a higher level mod to equip to your warframe, rather than being able to upgrade them.

But I do agree, some downsides to mods would be nice to see, but depending on how they want to go with the game, which seems to be "I am super space ninja, fear me!" which is more of a instant gratification type of gameplay, I don't see them adding downsides to mods anytime soon.