Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Have any of the graphics settings changed since last year?

DwornScarH

Question

Sorry in advanced if its way too long!

Hi everyone, i just wanted confirmation as to what has or hasn't changed in Warframe's graphical settings since last year. By this i mean, has DE made a graphical upgrade to Warframe that changes what kind of setup do you need to run the game on max settings or just run it in general? I just came back at the time of Specters of the Rail - Nova Asuri update.

I am asking this because i can no longer run the game as well as i could in the past with a stable fps on maximum and my friend can no  longer run the game at decent frame rate with all graphics on low

Still my biggest problem is that he can no longer play with me due to really bad performance.He used to be able to run the game fine (consistent 60 fps with drops to 45 when 50+ enemies would show up). The last updated we played on was Sands of Inarios and the game was still running fine for both of us. Now he has low framerate almost all the time (30-45ish and he has seen even lower than 30 fps in some areas) and all of that is with very few enemies, I personally only suffer from inconsisten framerates  (from 70, which is my current cap, all the way to 45  and then back up to 70), this happends with few enemies (no more than 15) and i am usualy using a nova prime  --->Spects for me are an ASUS ROG G501VW with: CPU-> Intel Core i7 6700HQ, 2.6GH/z(3.6GH/z Turbo), RAM-> 8GB Ram DDR4 (i think 2133 frequency?) and GPU-> 4GB DDR5 960m GTX (i looked at some comparisons for this gpu and it is equivalent to the 750TI GTX for desktop) | | --->Specs for my friend are CPU-> Intel Core i7 3630qm 2.4 GH/z (3.4GH/z Turbo), RAM-> 8GB DDR3(1333 frequency), GPU-> 2GB DDR5 610mGTX , sorry don't remember his laptop name, specs will have to do.

Firstly i would like to know if he can do anything else to improve performance, i already ran him through most of the basic stuff like video drivers and Nvidia control panel and told him which settings to diable, which to turn on (like optimization settings and maximum pre-rendered frames set to 1, he disabled virtual reality by setting ti to application controled), he also choose the 610 gtx for physx acceleration (even though physx are off, i just wanted to be safe since i know of a few games that might give you the option to disable nvidia's advanced physx but the regular kind of phisics is requiered to run at all times in order for the game to function properly, aka bullet travel time could be calculated by some generic phisics engine, which can be ran by amd cards as well), lastly he also has the game on high priority. Final result after all this narrowed the problem down on some planets but earth and void still have lots of issues for him.

Secondly, on my end i am just going to thinker with some settings but there are just some out there that i have no idea what i will lose if i turn them off, i know i just need to fine-tune a bit and then i will get my perfromance up. If anyone can list the effects and performance drain on the following i would appreciate it! (Just before you ask, no, i was not able to find a good explanation for these settings, except physx but this varies from game to game)

Runetime Tessellation

Nvidia Physx

High Dynamic Range

Adaptive Exposure

Glare

*effect (by this i mean:what does it add? what does it enhance?)

*performance (by this i mean:do you think is it implemented well? does it feel like it drains way more power on this game than on others for the same effect?)

3 answers to this question

There have been no major graphical updates that I can speak of. However, Specters of the Rail seems to have massively dropped preformance. I get problems too, particularly on the Earth, Sealab, and Moon tilesets. My guess is DE messed with some stuff under the hood and didn't optimize whatever they did. That or there is some kind of bug in how the game uses your rig's resources.

23 minutes ago, DwornScarH said:

Runetime Tessellation

Nvidia Physx

High Dynamic Range

Adaptive Exposure

Glare

It could be, that in all likelihood, Warframe is just in need of an optimisation pass. I think over the Christmas period DE went off for their holidays, and left the game in a state where (i assume) game scripts would not stop running. Meaning, even with a great rig, you'd run at 4-10 fps after X amount of time spent in a mission.

As for the settings listed:

Runtime Tessellation: Subdivide meshes in real time to give them a more pleasing, less polygonal, appearance. Used mostly on 'organic matter', so Trees on earth, and infested matter - Performance: High for Low end hardware. 

Nvidia PhysX - GPU accelerated Particle system. Saving grace is that PhysX is used sparingly. Gets a lot of use on infested missions - Performance: High all round regardless of GPU.

High Dynamic Range: Gives the image better luminosity. In short form, it makes images "pop" more - Performance: Minimal, low end gpu's will get a few FPS by disabling it.

Adaptive Exposure: Kind of self explanatory. As you move around the level, you pass through dark and bright areas, the game will adjust the exposure levels as you move around so you aren't looking at crushing whites and blacks. The game will adjust the exposure so that dark areas become brighter when you enter them, just like the human eye. Think of it as that flash you see when you exit a dark tunnel into a bright sunny day. Performance: Moderate. High cost for low end systems.

2 hours ago, LevitatingNarwhal said:

There have been no major graphical updates that I can speak of. However, Specters of the Rail seems to have massively dropped preformance. I get problems too, particularly on the Earth, Sealab, and Moon tilesets. My guess is DE messed with some stuff under the hood and didn't optimize whatever they did. That or there is some kind of bug in how the game uses your rig's resources.

Thanks for the confirmation, thought i might be the only one, it helps alot to know its not something on my end at least.

MillbrookWest-You are a savior, i initially belived physx would also affect clothing phisics and maybe decide whether or not liquids interact with you when moving through them, that said i can live whitout lots of particles, in fact they kinda of annoy me when aiming. As for Runetime Tessellation, i actualy didn't know it was a graphical enhancement, the few explanations i found online about it were that it changes the way shapes in 3D space are constructed and most of them said it should  improve performance since its not mathematically calculated, i will tell my friend to see what performance he gest on earth with it disabled because right now he has it on.