Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts on upcoming melee syndicate weapons

lyravega

Cephalon Suda Heliocor: Completely overshadows Cephalon Simaris' weapons. Weapons that Simaris offers should've been unique to Simaris and Simaris alone, it shouldn't have been a base for any Cephalon. Now that Suda is getting Heliocor (this soon, I might add), it just feels wrong in my opinion. Instead of copying Simaris, Suda (or rather, Developers) should've come up with something else.

Perrin Sequence Lecta & Steel Meridian Sydon & Arbiters of Hexis Boltace & Red Veil Dark Dagger/Split Sword: Follows a general theme. Like Suda does, but they don't overshadow other stuff while doing it.

New Loka Magistar: Probably offers the best variety out of all (variety as in, weapons that don't fall into a single theme like "Grineer"/"Corpus"/etc).

Instead of following a general theme, in my opinion Developers should've picked the melee weapons that has very few weapons in their category. There is only one gunblade, and only one rapier for example. There are two tonfas, so Hexis' Boltace is fine while following the theme. Perrin could've got away with a Lacera rather than a Lecta, though it is still fine as there are only 3 whips. Steel Meridian could've used Ack & Brunt while following the Grineer theme and populating the list. Loka could've used Redeemer (which would be fitting a little bit, as they also offer Tigris). But Heliocor (I have a problem with all of Suda weapons as it overshadows Simaris completely as I've said), and Magistar; two more hammers while we have 5, I think it is wasted opportunity. Yes, in the end all is MR, and once you are done you won't be seeing 95% of the weapons you rank up, but still. In my opinion, this is mostly a wasted opportunity to populate some needed melee categories.

Suda's weps have always overshadowed simiris' It would be weird if they didn't offer the Heliocor as the suda wep.

As they said on Devstream 78, they wanted to pick weapons that not many players use.  I know i only see people leveling whips, and really, the only whip i see at all used past level 30 is the Atterax.

While I felt the Sydon was mediocre compared to my Tonbo, and eventually my lesion, I will say that not many people use it.  I really enjoyed using the Boltace when i leveled them, but at the time, i didn't feel like they would take me to the end game.

I'm still not seeing how people think the red veil weapon is going to be a split sword, considering i heard reb say the Dark Dagger, unless there was something other than what they mentioned in DevStream 78 that made people think that.  I personally use my Dark Dagger quite a bit, mostly for my Ivara stealth leveling, but i don't use it for anything else, because it is a dagger, and as such, has very short range.

I love how the Magistar looks, but again, if people want to use a hammer, overwhelmingly they tend to use the Jat Kittag.

In response to your suggested weapons, I feel like almost everyone has a Redeemer, since I feel it is the only decent ranged melee. I liked Lacera while i had it, but i will admit i found the alt fire a bit hard to use. Not sure if that is me, or true to the weapon.  I don't mind the ax/ shield, however, I don't see them outside random dojo PvP matches, which might make it a decent choice.

All in All, The melees have already been picked, their models are there, if their stat values aren't, and they seem to be wanting to push them with Titania, if not a bit sooner.  I see a bit of these posts on the website, and while i may agree on a couple of the point, ultimately, they aren't going to change their choices because of a couple forum posts.

25 minutes ago, beckettb said:

I'm still not seeing how people think the red veil weapon is going to be a split sword, considering i heard reb say the Dark Dagger, unless there was something other than what they mentioned in DevStream 78 that made people think that.  I personally use my Dark Dagger quite a bit, mostly for my Ivara stealth leveling, but i don't use it for anything else, because it is a dagger, and as such, has very short range.

down in the syn melee section here:

https://warframe.com/news/devstream-78-overview

idk if this means they're still deciding between the 2 tho

Personally, I'm really happy about the dark dagger (which puts me in a minority I think). Other than that, I find little solace in their choices. The thing is though, I don't think there are any valid argument in terms of what is and isn't a good weapon. The criteria for syndicate weapons are only semi-consistent and there will always be a fair portion of love and hate for any choice. All I hope is that there will be a second round of syndicate secondaries, primaries and melees so that we get more opportunities to like the weapons our syndicates have.

I don't really like the options, outside of the Magistar.

The original Magistar is a weapon I wanted to like, but it just doesn't deliver in stats.  This is a chance to change that.

I'm neutral on the Heliocor.  It's a great hammer, it works well, but when I'm after hammer time I like my slammer to be a physical weapon.

The Sydon is something I rather like, and it's a weapon I want to use.  The only reason I don't is the stance.  This thing is a trident, whipping it around like it's a slashing weapon just ruins the whole experience with it, in my opinion.  The existence of a thrusting stance could make this my primary weapon, to be honest.

The Lecta is...a whip.  I'm sure some people like whips, I don't.  Perrin and Red Veil are the only two I haven't raised at some point, and this guarantees its place on the back burner for me.  Seldom used may have some measure of logic behind it in choosing weapons, but sometimes seldom used happens for a reason.  As for the Red Veil dagger....I'll continue to miss it, but the only reason is that I'm not willing to drop Arbiters to bring it up.  Maybe it'll persuade me to use the horrible trading system.

I'll have the Boltace because Arbiters is something I keep topped up all the time.  It's an awful choice though, in my opinion.   The Boltace is a gutteral pair of rifles with blades welded onto the barrel and stock.  Not at all suitable for the syndicate that "rejects the Tenno as warrior myth".  The Boltace is a weapon you'd expect to see on an Orc in any other MMO or movie, a race that completely embodies the warrior from birth type mentality.  Natural as the paired companion to the Boltor and Bolto maybe, but just not right for the Arbiters.  As if that isn't enough, the stance sucks.  Seriously, I'm a middle aged man that most assuredly does not hack down dozens of enemies, nor do backflips off walls, and I could move these weapons in more imaginative ways than the Tonfa stance does.