Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Need Some Hack And Slash Melee Combat In Warframe.

whitejackale

The title says it all. Currently we have the following basic attacks.

Normal attack.

Charge Attack.

Spring+Normal Attack.

Jump Attack.

Wall Run+Normal Attack.

Crouch+Normal Attack.

Crouch+Charge Attack.(Same as standing and doing charge attack)

The melee combat could be greatly improved if all of this attacks could be made a part of more elaborate combos. The following are a few examples of possible combos for melee combat.

Normal Attack+Charge Attack

Normal Attack+Jump Attack.

Normal Attack+Crouch Normal Attack+Charge Attack.

Roll+Normal Attack.

Roll+Charge Attack.

Normal Attack+Normal Attack+Primary Weapon

Normal Attack+Normal Attack+Secondary Weapon.

Normal Attack+Normal Attack+Warframe Ability.

Etc.

Adding a combo system to the game would make melee combat a lot more interesting, especially if our primary and secondary weapons, as well as our warframe abilities, could be incorporated into this combos. 

I actually came to Warframe from Vindictus XE, which is a heavy combo hack'n slash. First opinion on melee? Really disappointed and that's why i only use guns and passively level up melee weps for rank exp.

I'm with you here, but in my opinion, we won't see any changes anytime soon because the devs have other things planned for Warframe at the moment.

Making combos would require use of more buttons..maybe X / LMB?

Like:

E + E + LMB

E + LMB +LMB

E + E + E +LMB  for some basic combos - provided that clicking imediately after melee will continue the combo..

This would only work if they made melee to toggle like primary and secondary weapons - which they clearely stated they won't

Or

You use block as the second key...

^That up there? This is what i call melee.

This is my opinion, but we won't see this happen..at least not until after release.

Edited by Symbiont71

it is hack and slash if you arent to $&*&*#(%& to stop only charging your weapon. they are buffing regular attacks as well because they don't like the charge only that people use. they said this in the last livestream.

it is hack and slash if you arent to $&*&*#(%& to stop only charging your weapon. they are buffing regular attacks as well because they don't like the charge only that people use. they said this in the last livestream.

Whatever choices people make in their melee combat are irrelevant. The system is currently very simple and anyone that likes the melee aspect of the game will probably find it a lot more enjoyable to have different combos to play with.

Fully support the idea. Melee needs to be expanded upon and this is the right way to do it. There should also be some sort of progression to unlock new combos as well instead of having all the combos when you first start out.

Fully support the idea. Melee needs to be expanded upon and this is the right way to do it. There should also be some sort of progression to unlock new combos as well instead of having all the combos when you first start out.

Excellent idea about progression. It would be interesting to unlock more complex and powerful combos as you level up your melee weapon.

You can add to the wish list:

Normal attack (+ normal attack*n) + delayed normal attack

The delayed move could be like the one in Anarchy Reigns, depending of the weapon (character in anarchy reigns), the move would make you move either forward, to the sides or back before hitting (or after if it makes you move backward), giving additional movement option and action.

(Some of those delayed moves could also come with auto tracking of the last damaged target/nearest target to make them easier to land).

An exemple of moveset from anarchy reigns:

The delayed move here is the one where the character goes backward, then forward and kicks.

Additional idea from the same game/moveset:

In AR it's weak (square) and strong (triangle) attacks that can be chained on the ground, like [weak weak strong].

In warframe, it could be the same, just replace weak with uncharged (normal) attack and strong with charged attack, put on some new animations (easier said than done I know) and tadah you got a much larger moveset, with normal attacks already done.

Everything you guys are saying is sound.  The game can only be benefit from expanded melee combat. 

I was thinking about grab attacks.  I wouldn't really want anything long and elaborate, just maybe some quick arm or leg breaks, throws or slams that take like milliseconds to perform.  That way you could link them together into this ballet of attacks.

Also, in response to the "floaty" comment from Mezecs, I feel that the movement would be okay if we had better airborne animations. 

I feel like the animators should look at some gymnastics and parkour on Youtube to get a feel for how people travel through the air.  Arms out and loose, legs shifting in anticipation of the landing.  Even normal forward leaping is graceful and beautiful, no matter who does it. 

This should be captured in the animation, and would go a LOOOOOONNG way toward enhancing the feeling of being a space ninja.  That standard, "jump" animation they're using for most airborne states, the crouching, one knee up "stock"-feeling animation, is just heart-breaking to look at.  :(