The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Changing From My Rhino To- What Warframe?

Zeri_the_Imp

Question

Alright, I'm kinda in a dilemma here.

I got my Rhino a few days ago, loaded a potato into it, and got it to rank 30.

However, as I ghost through these forums, I find a lot of disparaging comments about the now-nerfed Rhino.

I haven't had many problems- Iron Skin does absolutely everything I need ('it doesn't last long enough in void tier III missions!!!' - well, tier III is SUPPOSED to be difficult...)- and yet, I find myself being strangely affected by this public opinion. I'm liking my Rhino less and less.

So here's my question.

I favor a heavy assault type play style. As soon as I hit rank 4 (and I'm hitting it tomorrow, most likely), I'm getting the Hek and I am potato-ing it. I also have the Kunai as a secondary, fairly well leveled, and a maxed out Orthos is my melee. I also have a new Dethcube, not very high leveled though.

On Rhino, I can easily solo Xini to wave 10 using just Iron Skin and Orthos, to speak of my capabilities. However, Rhino is mostly for standing up in the middle of a crowd or in the face of a boss. Aside from his Iron Skin, his abilities suck. Once he's in the middle of the crowd, he can't really do much.

What warframe would you recommend for me? I want something that can take quite a bit of fire, but is actually good at dishing out the damage also. A warframe take can take damage and dish out alot more.

I have picked out a small list of frames that interest me:

1: Ember

2: Mag

3: Volt

Any ideas, guys?

16 answers to this question

Saryn, to me the best tank ingame, has good armor and life, all her abilites are towards full attack, or a decent clearer when needing to save a fellow tenno.

A agro ability (Molt) along with a damaging ability that holy mother of jesus is divine, Miasma.

Her Contagion works perfectly for you're Orthos. And Venom has its utilities.

Id use her, I easily get 500 kills on Xini till wave 15 with her, she outshines easily a lot of frames when you like to play a heavystyle :)

Edited by Hybridon

Ember.

All you need is overheat, and world on fire.

With a max focus mod overheat will reduce all damage dealt to you by 91 percent. Even damage dealt to you shields. Focus will all also as expected increase the damage of world on fire. Power duration, and some energy management mods would also be advised. Also Redirection would be a good mod to use.

Aside from his Iron Skin, his abilities suck. Once he's in the middle of the crowd, he can't really do much.

You apparently haven't heard of Rhino Charge, great for moving around the battlefield, doing damage and knocking enemies down.

Or Radial Blast, which does 1k damage to anything in range, as well as knocks them down.

Or Rhino Stomp, which stuns ANY ENEMY IN THE GAME for 10 seconds.

Well the most obvious switch would be to Frost. Has pretty much the exact same statistics, if I am remembering correctly, but with better overall powers. His snow globe skill forces enemies to engage in close range combat and his other powers lend well to a frontal assault strategy. 

Of the three you picked out, I would suggest Ember. Currently her Overheat skill, along with focus and continuity, lasts much longer than Rhino's Iron Skin and reduces damage to almost no effect; it also adds touch fire damage which would benefit a heavy melee concentration. Her skills also provide some of the best dps of the all frames skills. All this is balanced by her being extremely squishy without overheat on. Overall, she is probably still less tanky than Rhino but more damage and CC.

Rhino isnt that bad. Don't let the negativity get to you.

Ok sure he is past his glory days. But he isn't useless.

I used to dislike the Rhino due to the hate on the forums.

I was wondering why I even built him. I thought he was slow as hell and not even good as Excalibur.

Then after playing him for a bit, I realized he is *slightly* different from excalibur.

As mentioned above, the 4th ability is pretty strong.

1st,2nd, and 3rd are pretty useful as well.

I play T3 all the time with Rhino + Hek. 

He is one of my favourite frames now.

As for your question, Ember would be the best of the 3.

Edited by ItPutsTheLotion

Well the most obvious switch would be to Frost. Has pretty much the exact same statistics, if I am remembering correctly, but with better overall powers. His snow globe skill forces enemies to engage in close range combat and his other powers lend well to a frontal assault strategy. 

Of the three you picked out, I would suggest Ember. Currently her Overheat skill, along with focus and continuity, lasts much longer than Rhino's Iron Skin and reduces damage to almost no effect; it also adds touch fire damage which would benefit a heavy melee concentration. Her skills also provide some of the best dps of the all frames skills. All this is balanced by her being extremely squishy without overheat on. Overall, she is probably still less tanky than Rhino but more damage and CC.

Overheat lasts 16 seconds with continuity, Rhino's Iron skin lasts longer but its more lamer cuz of the 1200 damage cap with Focus

Frost's Snowglobe doesn't force mobs to go into melee, it just simply slows them and blocks off range attacks

Ember's World on Fire doesn't really do much after wave 40+ on defense, 400(520 if with focus) 2x on light infest 3 targets per tick, but reduced damage to ancients

Fire blast is even much more useless when its around wave 40+

PS: Ember's Overheat > Rhino's Iron skin

Edited by iBread

I have picked out a small list of frames that interest me:

1: Ember

2: Mag

3: Volt

Any ideas, guys?

It's funny because you have Mag on this list.  Not only does she suck right now (though they are going to try to fix her in update 9) but she's supposed to be a squishy power based warframe.

Volt might work for your playstyle but only because of his electric shield, he's kind of a mediocre frame right now. 

Edited by McCrabby

Overheat lasts 16 seconds with continuity, Rhino's Iron skin lasts longer but its more lamer cuz of the 1200 damage cap with Focus

Frost's Snowglobe doesn't force mobs to go into melee, it just simply slows them and blocks off range attacks

Ember's World on Fire doesn't really do much after wave 40+ on defense, 400(520 if with focus) 2x on light infest 3 targets per tick, but reduced damage to ancients

Fire blast is even much more useless when its around wave 40+

PS: Ember's Overheat > Rhino's Iron skin

For clarity, I stated that Overheat lasts longer than Iron Skin simply because the 1200 damage cap is reached almost instantly beyond mid level enemies. I also shouldn't have used the word 'force' but rather 'limits' when describing Snow Globe. True, it does not compel the enemies to come close, but rather renders any enemies outside of the globe more or less irrelevant allowing the player to focus on an immediate group or defend a location with greater ease.

As to your latter point, are there damage skills that don't drastically lose effectiveness by wave 40? (seriously, this is a question, not an argument.) 

I've found, at least in all the frames I play, and I believe I have 7 or 8, that only Nyx truly stays completely effective in higher defense waves as Chaos and Mind Control are just as, if not more, effective on higher level enemies as it is on lower level enemies.

I didn't know Saryn's a tank

or do you mean Trinity or Ember?

Saryn's armor rating of 125 is just below Rhino and Frost (150) and at max level, I believe her 450 health (pre-vitality) is the highest. While her Hemlock alternate helmet does drop her health by 5%, the 15% speed increase, IMO, makes her much more suitable to other missions besides endless defense. The Molt and Miasma powers are great for drawing in all kinds of aggro and wiping out with crowd control. I personally prefer Saryn over Rhino for tanking purposes because she's faster and has a better powers set. Trinity can tank nicely too with a leveled up redirection mod and vitality mod, combined with link, but with no crowd control power, she's really better for tanking bosses as she can easily get overwhelmed by numbers, and she has no aggro draw. Ember isn't so much a tank, more like artillery/dps with her fireball, fireblast and world on fire powers.

As to your latter point, are there damage skills that don't drastically lose effectiveness by wave 40? (seriously, this is a question, not an argument.) 

I've found, at least in all the frames I play, and I believe I have 7 or 8, that only Nyx truly stays completely effective in higher defense waves as Chaos and Mind Control are just as, if not more, effective on higher level enemies as it is on lower level enemies.

Loki's abilities never reduce in effectiveness due to enemy level. Also Radial Javelin ignores armor so it will always do at least 1000 damage.

Just to get the idea why I recommend you X Frame:

started as Loki -> went Exca Prime -> went Nyx -> now going Saryn (all except her are maxxed and well-modded).

For fun gameplay, well, Saryn tops the Exca Prime by a large margin for me. You like melee? NP, use Molt (Decoy) and then poison your Orthos and jump in, you're pretty tanky and have some extra on that Orthos that does not get reductions, not even vs poisoned ancients.

You see a Squadmate downed, near a critical mass of stunlocking stunlockers? :P NP, Miasma is your friend!

Huge boss who regenerates shields? Use the poison bubbles (stackable DoT) and boom :)

yes, im biased, but who cares, I'm having fun with my Saryn right now. Pity I don't own alt helmet yet (+Speed)

I didn't know Saryn's a tank

or do you mean Trinity or Ember?

Saryn all the way, she is way underestimated as a tank even though she has tank stats,

She has high Health, second best armor, quicker than Rhino/Frost, and with alt helmet gets quicker, CC ability, agro ability, melee enhancer ability so she is all made out to go in to crowds, miasma the mass, and melee the survivors.

Did I mention the armor ignore that miasma has?

A Saryn can top Rhino easily, as she is more usefull as a team worker, while Rhino... well he has good powers, but I feel they lack as you get on to high waves, but thats just me.

If you Forma her, then she will completely outshine most frames as a tank and a cc frame.

Thanks for all the opinions, guys.

So it's between Ember, the more full out attack type but not as tanky; and Saryn, more tanky and better with melee with good abilities but not quite as... global.

I'll do some research and start farming for both of these warframes, whichever one has an easier boss first. I'll most likely be getting Founders soon, so I can buy the extra warframe slot.

It's funny because you have Mag on this list.  Not only does she suck right now (though they are going to try to fix her in update 9) but she's supposed to be a squishy power based warframe.

The only reason I'm interested in her is because of a little trick I heard you could do with Bullet Attractor and Radial Javelin, for outputting massive amounts of damage on a single enemy.

You apparently haven't heard of Rhino Charge, great for moving around the battlefield, doing damage and knocking enemies down.
Or Radial Blast, which does 1k damage to anything in range, as well as knocks them down.
Or Rhino Stomp, which stuns ANY ENEMY IN THE GAME for 10 seconds.

Rhino Charge is okay, I guess, but isn't as powerful as Slash Dash.

Radial Blast doesn't have a good range on it, and I have never dealt 1k damage to everyone in range.

Rhino Stomp, sure, it'll knock any enemy down for 10 seconds-- then what? Kill an enemy or two before they get up?

To me, it just seems like these abilities will invariably put you-- where?-- right back with your team, right out of the crowd, where your tankiness wouldn't be as useful.

I do respect your opinion, but I just don't see the logic.

if you have a lot of formas and superior weapons take a look at TRiNiTY (disadvantage: low armor):

she is nearly immortal.

RAGE mod will make her immune against energy leechers like infested healers.

she can heal.

she can get ~50-80 energy with her ability from heavy mobs.

if you like more superior nuke then take SARYN.

godmode against ranged for you and your team? take a FROST

godmode against infested - VAUBAN (disadvantage: he has low shield)

Much of this has been said above but it is scattered or affected by people’s personal bias/ love of a frame. I switch frames often so I feel I may be able to provide a less biased review.  This is a tad long but it gives a good insight into the 4 power frames. I did not cover Frost here at all but he too is a good frame but likely doesn’t fit what you want.

Regarding Rhino, he is not a bad frame he just used to be a lot better. Most frames only have 1-2 good abilities whereas Rhino comes with three. The reason for all the negativity is all 3 of his abilities do not hold up when facing high level opponents. They are also upset because the most “tanky” frame can not withstand harm like ember can. However his Iron skin does draw agro where her overheat power does not. Essentially Rhino is a decent frame until you go for high level missions or long defense.

That said the question becomes what frames do hold up for high level. The 2 who hold up best are the ones whose powers actually get stronger as the enemy gets stronger, that being Nyx and Trinity. Unfortunately neither one of these is a true “tank” (Trinity can be sort of).

Nyx crowd control always disables enemies regardless of level and cases them to damage themselves. As they level this damage scales making Nyx a sexy choice for high level missions and defense. The Absorb ability is buggy but also scales perfectly with enemy strength, hover until it is fixed I wouldn’t bother with it. Also the radius on Chaos is one of the largest in the game, meaning that it is far more useful against non infested opponents than other characters area attacks.

Trinity also shines against high level opponents. Her energy vampire skill is near useless against low level foes. But against high level it pretty much ensures that the whole team can get 130 free energy back every 8 seconds, which is incredible. If you combine this with her Link ability she becomes unbillable as the vampire power plus link costs about the same (when modded) as the amount returned by vampire. I have soloed high level missions with this until I got bored of it, you are immortal. However her abilities don’t do much damage and she actually lowers her agro substantially when linked so her invulnerability does not help the team as much as you would like, they should get over it thanks to the free energy and guarantied rez’s that you provide however.

For damage doing no one outshines Syrn….period. Anyone who tells you Ember is better at this either doesn’t have Syrn or likes to just sit in Xini quitting no higher than wave 15 maybe 20. After that Embers damage drops to the floor (even for world on fire). Syrns damage is always the same; poison is not reduced by high level opponents. However that said high level opponents do have much higher health so it will still appear that you’re doing less, but numbers wise the ticks are for the same amount they were before unlike other elemental damages.

To compare Syrn and Ember you only have to ask yourself is survival or damage your primary focus. Embers World on Fire does not hold up at all to Miasma, this is true. Syrn is also faster and by stats tougher. But Embers long lasting and cheap Overheat turns her into the toughest frame in the game, giving her over 90% damage mitigation. For tanking and melee the award has to go to Ember for this reason. Unfortunately Overheat does not draw agro, but if you are the closest target and always in the enemies face they will generally chose to shoot at you.