Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Makes the Pox such an Effective Status Weapon?

Tizodd

Question

Maybe a noob question but I'm genuinely confused about this...

I built the Pox when it was released and threw a few forma on it to see how much damage I could get out of it.  I had no idea it would be such an effective status weapon...and I honestly don't understand what makes it so effective compared to other status weapons.

In the Simulacrum my Pox tears through level 140 Bombards and Heavy Gunners like it's nobody's business.  Meanwhile, my Ignis takes forever to kill them and never manages to completely strip their armor (yellow armor bar never turns to red health).

Pox:

LkHZu979ftOyYeGxu7flafeqvo8TcxUxLj7bP9Yw

Ignis:

QA0K-KQbROGMiaKswXIWdtRNIU5m64E1mrs7w-zQ

I'm looking for help from some of you number crunchers out there because I don't get it.  Why does my 3 forma Pox (90% status chance secondary) shred armor so much faster than my 5 forma Ignis (104.5% status per second primary)?

Does weapon damage play a factor in status application?  The Pox does more damage per shot, but the Ignis appears to be more likely to proc a status based on its status %.  But in practice, the Pox procs constantly and the Ignis...just doesn't.

Looking for someone to shed some light on this and tell me what I'm missing.

edit: To clarify...my question isn't about why the Pox kills faster.  My question is about why the Pox applies status more often even though it's status % appears to be the lower of the two.

Edited by Tizodd

The Ignis inflicts its status chance per second. Having 104.5% status chance per second results in an average of 1.045 status procs per second while the weapon is firing. With your build, 67.7% of status procs will be Corrosive, resulting in an average of 0.708 Corrosive status procs per second.

The Pox creates a cloud that inflicts one instance of damage per second per projectile. The Toxin proc, which is guaranteed, is a separate effect from the weapon's status chance and doesn't affect the distribution of status procs from modded elements. Your build has a 56% status chance per projectile and fires an average of 2.8 projectiles per shot. With your build, 73.5% of status procs will be Corrosive, resulting in an average of 1.15 Corrosive status procs per second for a single throw.

You can stack Pox clouds, so firing two shots doubles your effective status procs per second while the clouds are still active. With four clouds from a single reload, you have an average of 4.61 Corrosive status procs per second for the duration they are all active, which is more than 6 times the status rate of the Ignis.

As a side note to whoever mentioned it earlier, the Ignis is considered a status weapon, but it's most effective with status effects that refresh instead of stack (Radiation, Viral, Magnetic, Blast, etc.). It's good at maintaining a status effect because you're almost guaranteed another proc before the first wears out, but it's not good at quickly applying multiple stacks of a single status. If you're using the Ignis with Corrosive-Blast, the Corrosive is there to do damage, and the Blast is there to inflict the status effect.