Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why does wukong defy build need duration?

TimmyTheDoggy

Question

So a few days ago i got wukong and i find his ability 2{defy} really powerful when combined with rage

I know that defy makes you immortal when u take lethal damage but dont you want to take health damage so you can get more energy to support your defy?

For example if your immortality lasts for 10 seconds that 10 seconds your energy will continue to go down.

Defy gives you a health boost when you take lethal damage so its immortality anyway why would you need time to become invulnerable when you already are?

Am i missing something? i really dont understand why people would want duration on defy wukong

6 answers to this question

Duration has an effect on "toggle" abilities, that is abilities that stay on and drain energy per second. Valkyr's Hysteria, for example, drains more energy with duration at 90% than it does with duration at 110%

Defy works on the same principle. Efficiency trumps duration, but duration is still a good thing to have

Defy is a drain over time ability. As such it's affected by not only efficiency, but also duration. To put it simply, if you have 50% duration, you'll lose twice as much energy. If you have 200% duration, you'll lose half as much. I like to think of it as how often I lose energy/sec determined by efficiency (100% is 1sec, meaning normal drain, 200% means 2sec so I lose half as much per sec).

If i remember correctly, Defy is a toggle ability, it meens it will drain enegy every second. The energy consumption is affected by efficiency, and since toggle abilities don't have a duration cap, duration will also affect the energy drain, like efficiency. So Wukong's Defy, Valkyr's Hysteria, Excalibur's Exalted blade benefit from increased duration.

Thats really easy to explain mate. You want to focus on as much Power Duration as it's possible to get a long duration on your buff.
Because you always lose 25% health after each Defy proc, means you are dying much faster because you don't have the duration.
It is much more efficient to have a long Defy Duration and you will live way longer than a low duration Wukong.

48 minutes ago, TimmyTheDoggy said:

So a few days ago i got wukong and i find his ability 2{defy} really powerful when combined with rage

I know that defy makes you immortal when u take lethal damage but dont you want to take health damage so you can get more energy to support your defy?

For example if your immortality lasts for 10 seconds that 10 seconds your energy will continue to go down.

Defy gives you a health boost when you take lethal damage so its immortality anyway why would you need time to become invulnerable when you already are?

Am i missing something? i really dont understand why people would want duration on defy wukong

on lower end stuff, you will not notice it as much, but in high levels your defy will procc pretty much every second while not invulnerable, because you get so much damage. that is the reason for it. (stuff like sortie 3 or any longrunning endless mission).since defy regens less hp with each procc you'll have to reactivate it every once in a while to keep up the energy supply. a longer duration on invincible means you have to reactivate it less often and have a much lower chance of dying therefore.

and yes, the energy drain is effected by both power efficiency and power duration.

with streamline+ constitution, primed continuity and narrowminded, you'll end up with 282% power duration and 130% efficiency. that is 14seconds of invulnerability and a drain of 1.25 e/s

if you are running lower lvl content, you can use a maxed fleeting expertise +streamline. this will give 190% power efficiency (screen is capped at 175%) and 40% duration. this will still give a drain of 1.25 e/s due to how channeled abilities work with efficiency and duration, but you will end up with only 2 seconds of invulnerability.

Edited by Cash4Cookies

Duration affects the energy drain and the duration of the invulnerability, but to be perfectly honest with you, it's simply not worth building for duration with Wukong. You can get to the minimal drain with just Fleeting Expertise and Streamline. You make a much better use of the other mod slots if you build for power strength and survivability, so you can still make good use of Primal Fury.

I do Vitality, Rage, Streamline, a maxed out Fleeting Expertise, Intensify, Transient Fortitude, Primed Continuity and Primal Rage, Corrosive Projection and Power Drift. My damage with Primal Fury is phenomenal, my energy drain with both Defy and Primal Fury is minimal, and I never die unless I derp out.