Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How far have you driven for a minimum wage job?

OverlordMcGeek

I got asked my a sibling who is going to be joining the workforce(or taking part in mah cousins "business" if they don't find anything in a year...or one of the banks my dad has) soon and is questioning the effort to put into distance driven to a work. I think the car she was given has an mpg of 30.

They want to see if he/she is going to be able to get a job on her own(my idea as a social experiment [no I'm not evil stfu plebs] to test the market) before bringing her in to any of our families businesses.

Almost forgot. MW is currently $10.00/hourly here.

So dudes and dudettes. I am arguing 30 minutes for one that I like and no more than 10 minute drive for a job I hate.

Roommate says no more than an hour wage.

Cousins say they'll toss cash at her every once-in-a-while and get a handidown Prius...

Friends from all sides say she should get a Truck Camper and forget about society. Sarcasm is abundant around us.

10/hr on a 30mpg vehicle assuming a 13gal tank maximum (casual)  drive time I'd say is 1hr.  Thats only a little less than I make as a shift lead in Illinois and assuming your tax rates isn't outrageous is a pretty solid min wage job. Took me 11yrs in the workforce to break 9.50/hr (not for lack of trying). That and all the perks you mention of family helping them here and there and what not, count those blessings and if a job is within an hour drive they shouldn't pass it if they want it.  Some people sweat blood for less and a longer drive distance (not saying I do mind you)

Edited by Echoa

On 9/6/2016 at 4:32 PM, Echoa said:

10/hr on a 30mpg vehicle assuming a 13gal tank maximum (casual)  drive time I'd say is 1hr.  Thats only a little less than I make as a shift lead in Illinois and assuming your tax rates isn't outrageous is a pretty solid min wage job. Took me 11yrs in the workforce to break 9.50/hr (not for lack of trying). That and all the perks you mention of family helping them here and there and what not, count those blessings and if a job is within an hour drive they shouldn't pass it if they want it.  Some people sweat blood for less and a longer drive distance (not saying I do mind you)

As much as she was able to tell me is that the tank holds 12 gal. Tax rates are at 10% here. I'll give her your answer.

On 9/7/2016 at 3:49 AM, --21st-- said:

Thats...ugh a pretty well payed job..for a "minimum" wage.

It will increase to 15/hourly by 2020 in California.