Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cheaper Version Of The Particle System For People Without Nvidia Cards?

Kappatalist

Having watched videos of Warframe all over the place, I can't help but notice how awesome the flashy particle effects look, all those specks and sparks of light that bounce all over the place.  Unfortunately, I get nothing of the sort on my end: considering that I play at max settings, with all visual settings on EXCEPT for nVidia PhysX effects (since I have an AMD GPU and the option is disabled) I've deduced that this lack of fancy particle systems is because they rely on PhysX, a technology proprietary to nVidia, to realistically interact with surfaces and exhibit gravity and all that.  AMD cards CAN'T take advantage of this.

What I'm asking: make a less-fancy, less PhysX-reliant version of these particles (instead of realistically-bouncing particle systems, even just simple sparks and coronas and crap, something, anything), and make that checkbox a dropdown menu labeled "Particle Effects" with the options "Off", "Simple", and "Advanced (PhysX)".  As is stands now, it's either "you has nVidia, you get all teh particuls lel" or "you get NOTHING, you have AMD, good DAY sir!"

I jus' wan mah particles.

~K

I know relatively nothing about this problem. But I would assume that since the nVidia PhysX particles are under ownership of nVidia that only nVidia cards should be able to run them. If you have a problem with not being able to use the PhysX on an AMD card then do this: Complain to AMD until they make their own little particle effect option.

Your complaint has been duly noted and laughed at. 

I know relatively nothing about this problem. But I would assume that since the nVidia PhysX particles are under ownership of nVidia that only nVidia cards should be able to run them. If you have a problem with not being able to use the PhysX on an AMD card then do this: Complain to AMD until they make their own little particle effect option.

Congratulations! You didn't read the thread and decided to post a snarky comment! Come back again when you actually read the OP.

I agree.

Congratulations! You didn't read the thread and decided to post a snarky comment! Come back again when you actually read the OP.

Did you even read my post? Besides this, this idiot who posted this is my friend. Come back again when you read my post. 

/idiot.

If you have a problem with not being able to use the PhysX on an AMD card then do this: Complain to AMD until they make their own little particle effect option.

AHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by Haldark

the nVidia PhysX particles are under ownership of nVidia that only nVidia cards should be able to run them

The particles aren't owned by nVid, the technology is, the particle system uses PhysX to simulate collision and physics for each individual particle.  All I'm asking for is a simpler version of these particles that doesn't take bloody PhysX to render, that can run on AMD cards, and that can be toggled in lieu of the PhysX particle system.

The particles aren't owned by nVid, the technology is,

Yes, this is what I meant. You seem to have nit-picked my post abit. My wording was 1 word off of being what it needed to be. /shrug

All I'm asking for is a simpler version of these particles that doesn't take bloody PhysX to render, that can run on AMD cards,

Here's the thing. If you want an AMD PhysX then go bug AMD to create a hole particle effect engine-thing-a-ma-bob or whatever. If DE were to just make their own version of the nVidia PhysX particles then that would be abit redundant having the Nvidia version in the game, wouldn't it?

All I'm saying is that if DE makes their own version it's redundant and if you want these particle effects go bug AMD or buy an Nvidia card.

Here's the thing. If you want an AMD PhysX then go bug AMD to create a hole particle effect engine-thing-a-ma-bob or whatever. If DE were to just make their own version of the nVidia PhysX particles then that would be abit redundant having the Nvidia version in the game, wouldn't it?

All I'm saying is that if DE makes their own version it's redundant and if you want these particle effects go bug AMD or buy an Nvidia card.

What are you even...

Look, does anyone else who is reading this understand what I was saying in the OP?  Besides fishworshipper? (nice name, btw.  :P)

What are you even...

Look, does anyone else who is reading this understand what I was saying in the OP?  Besides fishworshipper? (nice name, btw.  :P)

/shrug

You're asking for an alternative to nVidia PhysX for AMD/other cards. While I'm simply pointing out that it's illogical for them to do such a thing/why I think it is.

If you don't have the nVidia card. Tough. Suck it up and move on.

Also, if you're only running 30 FPS, why the hell are you even bothering to worry about additional things to lag your game with? Stop being stupid.

Oh, and I don't even run nVidia or AMD if anyone plans to accuse me of just being anti-AMD or whatever. Don't have access to the PhysX either.

Plus, another thing to consider is that you're asking them to create an entire system of particle effects for other graphics card separate from PhysX, taking time away from other things that the team tasked with this could be doing.

Do you care to make an actual argument against my posts instead of stating that I clearly did not understand the OP? I'm interested to know what I missed and I'm tired of just have my posts getting "Oh, you're stupid. Move along." 

Edited by Haldark

@ Kappatalist 

Im sorry but that wont be possible, at least for now. 

Visually its a beautiful game , even without physics for Nvidia cards. What you request its tons of work and involves licensing and other problematic processes to be done , not just make the code and add it to the in game settings. It isint that simple . 

Im sure the DE would have already done it if it was.

And yeah , would be nice , sadly i don't see it happening. 

Its not the end of the world if you don't have that setting.

@Haldric  relax man.... your taking things to seriously and objectively. 

@Haldric  relax man.... your taking things to seriously and objectively. 

Besides this, this idiot who posted this is my friend. 

Aside from ^, the reason I am is because I'm just being realistic and it's a personal pet peeve of mine when someone ignores what I say and basically just says "Ahahaha, idiot. Moving on."

Oh, and I'm abit tired.

Edited by Haldark

Basically what DE Steve said in a couple of livestreams back was: No, we're not going to make the PhysX effects available to those without Nvidia cards through software rendering, because Nvidia sponsored us. 

But if you think about it, how would those particles work without the PhysX? The reason they look cool is because they swirl about, and that is all developed by Nvidia. Would you have DE spend tens of hours manually animating different sets of particles? 

Aside from ^, the reason I am is because I'm just being realistic and it's a personal pet peeve of mine when someone ignores what I say and basically just says "Ahahaha, idiot. Moving on."

Oh, and I'm abit tired.

whats up with the italics?

If it makes you happy... although pleasing to the eye; it makes gameplay that much more difficult.2013-06-25_00005.jpg

Because you can't see s**t.

Please give me my worse vision.

Not my fault my computer doesn't come with an option to choose nvidia.

I never even read Haldark's messages because he italicizes them for no reason. 

I think it's a valid request, but I doubt you'll see it fulfilled any time soon. I don't know if DE gets a kickback or anything from Nvidia, but they should--my video card died a month ago and I went out and bought an Nvidia card rather than an AMD/ATI card, specifically because of Warframe!

What I'm asking: make a less-fancy, less PhysX-reliant version of these particles (instead of realistically-bouncing particle systems, even just simple sparks and coronas and crap, something, anything), and make that checkbox a dropdown menu labeled "Particle Effects" with the options "Off", "Simple", and "Advanced (PhysX)".  As is stands now, it's either "you has nVidia, you get all teh particuls lel" or "you get NOTHING, you have AMD, good DAY sir!"

To clarify, I don't want the nVidia PhysX-based particle effects to run on AMD cards.  That's illogical.  What I'm requesting here is simply REGULAR PARTICLE EFFECTS to fill the empty void when you can't see the PhysX ones.  Hell, you could pull some old-&#! particle effects from UT2004 or something and slap them in -- those would cost next to nothing, because they don't even use PhysX.  Key word: not all particle effects need PHYSX.

To clarify, I don't want the nVidia PhysX-based particle effects to run on AMD cards.  That's illogical.  What I'm requesting here is simply REGULAR PARTICLE EFFECTS to fill the empty void when you can't see the PhysX ones.  Hell, you could pull some old-&#! particle effects from UT2004 or something and slap them in -- those would cost next to nothing, because they don't even use PhysX.  Key word: not all particle effects need PHYSX.

If it makes you happy... although pleasing to the eye; it makes gameplay that much more difficult.

2013-06-25_00005.jpg

Because you can't see s**t.

I laughed for a good 5 minutes >.>

Otherwise:

a) what's with all the italics in this thread?

b) It's either NVIDIA, NVidia, or nvidia, not nVidia iApple bs. 

c) the actually important part:

I believe the PhysX was a proof of concept done by the devs , not actually anything special.  As noted in the picture, it actually makes seeing things a lot harder and takes some time to get used to.  Yes, I would absolutely love for them to improve graphics using systems like this.  No, I do not believe this implementation was meant to be taken as a serious aspect of the game. 

If a community manage or somebody could confirm that last part, I've only heard it said like 10x from other people. 

Edited by lstalri

It's not like PhysX particles make up the entirety of the particle system ingame. You still get particles. You just don't get .the extra swirly ones