Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rename Saryn's Abilities

NeoDarkSider

Fallacious examples.

It would be more like renaming Rhino Stomp, "Iron Skin," and renaming Iron Skin, "Radial Blast."

It would be more like renaming Sonar, "Sound Quake," and renaming Sound Quake, "Silence."

It would be more like renaming Slash Dash, "Super Jump," and renaming Radial Javelin, "Radial Blind."

It would be more like renaming Tesla, "Vortex," and renaming Bastille, "Bounce Pad."

O,O wow you completely missed the point. In your defense when I posted that it was late and I was kinda rambling. Let me make one last attempt to be clear on 2 points.

1) This is a game, definitions from the real world that you find in the dictionary are irrelevant when describing a superhuman undefined fantasy ability.

2) Depending on how you look at it and interpret the abilities the definitions do actually fit, in fact an argument could be made for either direction though I think the point is stronger to leave it as is. (see notso's post one page one)

Conclusion= with everything else that is buggy in this game right now renaming anything should be at the absolute bottom of the priority list if it's on the list at all. I don't really think any relabeling is required right now on any frame.

@Notso: I wish I cold up vote you twice.

And with that I'm Oscar Mike.

Edited by Carcharias

O,O wow you completely missed the point. In your defense when I posted that it was late and I was kinda rambling. Let me make one last attempt to be clear on 2 points.

1) This is a game, definitions from the real world that you find in the dictionary are irrelevant when describing a superhuman undefined fantasy ability.

2) Depending on how you look at it and interpret the abilities the definitions do actually fit, in fact an argument could be made for either direction though I think the point is stronger to leave it as is. (see notso's post one page one)

Conclusion= with everything else that is buggy in this game right now renaming anything should be at the absolute bottom of the priority list if it's on the list at all. I don't really think any relabeling is required right now on any frame.

@Notso: I wish I cold up vote you twice.

And with that I'm Oscar Mike.

In the OP's defence:

Yes it's a game and names don't always have to be what they are in real life, like skyrim's ebony, but part of what makes anything user friendly is when other people can look at something and more or less get the idea of what it's going to do. In this case the names will not give people a general idea of what the ability does, instead they would be better served flipped, giving players something a bit more relatable. It's not about being dictionary definition perfect, it's about avoiding confusion by a simple name swap. Lumireaver did not miss your point, he tried to make you see what the OP meant, or at least why it makes sound sense to change the name. His examples are more in line with the argument for this thread.

To add one, it's like when DE described Vauban's first power as grenades, people were like "Throwing a grenade shouldn't be a power, any -insert degrading name here- could do that". What DE should have said was (and even now in it's description) "Launches a sentry that holds an electrical charge, zapping enemies that come in range. This should have been said not because it's the actual definition (the power I feel is something inbetween a grenade and a sentry gun) but because it gives players a better notion of what it actually does.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping, 'cos it bugs me every time! You put Venom on your weapon to poison an enemy. And you spread Contagion by shooting spores. Mobs, affected by Contagion, do not spread this effect, thus it's not contagious.

Yes I agree that most ability names are thematic and are appropriate. Like

in game:

Miasma: Through noxious exhalation, Saryn pollutes the atmosphere with a lethally poisonous mist that corrodes all enemies in range, effectively disintegrating organic and synthetic matter instantly.

real world:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/miasma

Miasma: noxious exhalations from putrescent organic matter; poisonous effluvia or germs polluting the atmosphere. A dangerous, foreboding, or deathlike influence or atmosphere.

With Miasma the theme works. With Venom vs Contagion. One is more geared toward being a toxin that spreads.

in game:

Venom: toxic spore that transmits

Contagion: toxicity, disease, plague put on your weapon to infect your enemy.

Real world:

Venom: Poison, You put poison on you weapon to infect your enemy. i.e Venom coated arrows, daggers, swords...

Contagion: Disease, Batercia transmitted

Yes toxic and toxicity can be used to describe venom, poison, disease...

Robots may be affected if they are made with some organic synthetic parts.

And it doesn't take a programmer much time to switch the names. So no lost time here.

TL: DR Whether DE changes this or not its up to them but this is not a thematic issue its two words that would more accurately represent what the other does. It does no harm to change it. Leaving it the way it is will only confuse a few players before they read the ability description and think "Hey should this be the other way around." Contagion is more accurately defined as a toxin that TRANSMITS. If you don't understand the difference, I can't help you.

You're misunderstanding. You seem to be under the impression that "Contagion" & "Contagious" have the same definition:

-Contagion: Is the medium by which a contagious disease is transmitted from one person(or surface) to the other by means of direct contact. i.e the sword or melee weapon used to transfer the disease from Saryn to the melee weapon, then from the melee weapon to the enemy.

-Contagious: Is the action of a disease being passed on from surface to surface.

So in a nut shell the Contagion is the "Tool" in which the "Contagious" diseased is spread with.

If this doesn't help I don't know what will.

The Creators chose the right word for the right ability. In my opinion I think its kind of weird that you started a thread on this topic to begin with. But hey, if you wan't to look up every warframe ability to see if its the right word being used for the right ability by all means go right ahead. 

Edited by OmniousKing