Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How does Warframe work on the PS4?

Dumfing

Question

2 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Dumfing said:

I believe Warframe uses DX11/10/9 for pc and probably XBox, but what does it use for PS4?

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not even 100% sure on if it even uses Direct X on windows and xbox

I don't know as I haven't got a Playstation IV. It simply works is all I can say.

Also, relating to visual how-it-works things, have you checked what [DE]Steve posted (on Twitter)? Volumetric lights, in Warframe.

44 minutes ago, Dumfing said:

I believe Warframe uses DX11/10/9 for pc and probably XBox, but what does it use for PS4?

Hide contents

I'm not even 100% sure on if it even uses Direct X on windows and xbox

Direct X is a Microsoft developed API. Sony would pay a fee to licence DX for their software (every single title released on PS).

Not wanting to to have to pay MS for every single game released, Sony developed their own API; For the PS3 Sony created PSGL which was based on OpenGL.

PS4 however uses either GNM, or GNMX - Depending on the developer. I assume GNM is a more 'direct' to the metal API, whereas GNMX is for indie level devs, or Devs who don't need low level access to the hardware.

Always wondered, for the longest time, what the GNM stood for. 'G' obviously stands for "Graphics" (being a graphics API) 'NM' however are unknown to me - If someone knows post it.

Edited by MillbrookWest