Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sixty5's IT Helpdesk

Sixty5

16 minutes ago, heskaroid said:

Please dont laugh but today im about to claim my super awesome 1250 bucks pc build and because my DS speed i was wondering if it's possible to transfer the files from my laptop's hard drive to the said bucket of circuits.

Yep, it is pretty simple.

The easiest way is to move them onto an external hard drive and then back onto the new PC.

However if you have a spare SATA cable what you can do is remove the hard drive from the laptop, hook it up in the new PC and transfer files from there.

If you do choose to go that route what you may need to do is change the permissions on the other hard drive. To do this you will need to open up the folders properties, select the securicty tab, under advanced you will find the ownership menu. Here you will need to click Change Ownership and enter the name "everyone" after doing this you will be able to select "apply to all subfolders/child objects" if you are migrating a file you will want to do this. Re-writing permissions may take awhile, if warnings pop up just click skip etc.

Once this is finished you will need to select the edit button, find the entry for "everyone" and give it full control. This should prevent any ownershiop issues when transferring files between PC's in this manner.

o7Q9en5.png

3 minutes ago, Sixty5 said:

Yep, it is pretty simple.

The easiest way is to move them onto an external hard drive and then back onto the new PC.

However if you have a spare SATA cable what you can do is remove the hard drive from the laptop, hook it up in the new PC and transfer files from there.

If you do choose to go that route what you may need to do is change the permissions on the other hard drive. To do this you will need to open up the folders properties, select the securicty tab, under advanced you will find the ownership menu. Here you will need to click Change Ownership and enter the name "everyone" after doing this you will be able to select "apply to all subfolders/child objects" if you are migrating a file you will want to do this. Re-writing permissions may take awhile, if warnings pop up just click skip etc.

Once this is finished you will need to select the edit button, find the entry for "everyone" and give it full control. This should prevent any ownershiop issues when transferring files between PC's in this manner.

o7Q9en5.png

My laptop was fried but the hard drive survived to say the least. I will go with the cable thingie method. Thanks.

Just now, heskaroid said:

My laptop was fried but the hard drive survived to say the least. I will go with the cable thingie method. Thanks.

Allgood, if the laptop is properly fried you might as well leave the disk in the PC as extra storage