Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Getting Your Way

ZeroPhobic

Recently, I was in a group playing Kappa with three others and someone told me to "Stop using chaos!" I know they told this to me as I was the only Nyx in the group. I will not name or call the other person out, because that is not what this post is about. What it is about is how to handle that so if anyone wants someone else to do something (like stop using a power) they will know how better to get another person to listen.

Nyx in my mind is a perfect control type character and chaos is my bread and butter with that character any time I want the field or a big group of mobs to stay off of the team or myself I cast chaos and we pick them off, much like Vauban Bastille move. In fact, I have tried to solo defense missions with Nyx lately, with nothing more than an over powered Boltor, Acrid, and Nyx. So, when someone tells me not to use a power I truly love, on a mission that I feel it works (for me) perfectly, I think to myself "Go F*** yourself, guy/girl" Which is not the response he/she was looking for.

If he/she would have explained "Don't use chaos, because it is messing up my setup I have going over here." Then I understand the reason my power is negatively affecting the field. The difference is huge, "Stop using Chaos!" or "Stop using chaos because ..." Though you feel like you don't have the time to type and explain the why, believe me,  you do. I have seen people chat through whole matches with clan mates or friends, so you have time to explain why you would like someone to do or not do something, you have plenty of time.

This isn't a lesson on manners, but it is a lesson on a simple change of attitude toward every person you meet in any game. Offer the why and anyone and everyone will see your point clearly and usually see why doing something or not will not only help you, but ultimately help themselves and the team. "The reason why is everything" and that holds true in this example beautifully. If anyone has other ways to get someone to listen or offer help on this issue please expand this topic. We are a small community at the moment and any help relating better with one another is appreciated.

Edited by ZeroPhobic

Kyrkitao, I'm sure he/she had very good reasons to tell me to stop and you are probably 100% right, but the post isn't about the why of it, it is about he/she didn't offer the why. There could be a million reasons and all perfectly valid, but if you only say "don't" and not offer the why, we can only guess.

On a related note, I wish more players knew what Mind Control actually does. A lot of randoms I play with seem to think it's a cue to kill the <insert heavy unit here> ASAP lol. A flashing neon sign that says "I'm your team's friend for 30-39 seconds, don't kill me yet!" would do.

On a related note, I wish more players knew what Mind Control actually does. A lot of randoms I play with seem to think it's a cue to kill the <insert heavy unit here> ASAP lol. A flashing neon sign that says "I'm your team's friend for 30-39 seconds, don't kill me yet!" would do.

I think the problem there is the target priority. People kill dangerous things first and people tend to mind control dangerous things. The mind control effectively highlights them and the person kills them because they are the biggest 'threat' even if they aren't hostile right now.

+1 for this.if you use Mind Control on Acient Healer it will heal your team and cryopod

You can before the match really gets going just after the break in at the beginning say "I'm going to mind control the big guys, please try not to kill them first. you'll know it's them because they will be glowie"

While I disagree with the person who simply told you how to play your character, I imagine their point was more that Chaos denies players exp. Since exp is the only reason to run Kappa more than once...

No, it in and of itself does not deny XP. In fact chaos grants full XP. Enemies killing each other is what denies said XP, though only visually. After some extensive testing I'm fairly certain that it grants full XP for kills, just that the numbers don't show. It's like saying that elemental mods don't work on clients, the Hek doesn't work on clients, or that projectile weapons don't damage Kela de Thaym. All of these things work perfectly, it's just that the numbers are glitched and don't show up visually.

No, it in and of itself does not deny XP. In fact chaos grants full XP. Enemies killing each other is what denies said XP, though only visually. After some extensive testing I'm fairly certain that it grants full XP for kills, just that the numbers don't show. It's like saying that elemental mods don't work on clients, the Hek doesn't work on clients, or that projectile weapons don't damage Kela de Thaym. All of these things work perfectly, it's just that the numbers are glitched and don't show up visually.

While I welcome this if it's true, it is generally not known to function that way. As far as chaos vs. enemies killing each other denying exp, you're arguing semantics. If you're using chaos in a crowd it's pretty unlikely that you'll kill them all before they kill some of their own.

I think the problem there is the target priority. People kill dangerous things first and people tend to mind control dangerous things. The mind control effectively highlights them and the person kills them because they are the biggest 'threat' even if they aren't hostile right now.

Yeah I see your point. However one other important advantage of Mind Control is the targeted unit attracts aggro from nearby enemies, and will never attack you or the team for the duration. Saved the cryopod countless times for Infested Defense when used on a Toxic Ancient, buying precious time. Also as previously stated, free healing when used on an Ancient healer.

While I welcome this if it's true, it is generally not known to function that way. As far as chaos vs. enemies killing each other denying exp, you're arguing semantics. If you're using chaos in a crowd it's pretty unlikely that you'll kill them all before they kill some of their own.

Ah you see, it doesn't deny XP at all. It simply doesn't show the number visually. Everyone still gets full XP when enemies kill each other. Granted, assuming that no number means no effect is a very common mistake to make, but that would also mean the Hek does almost no damage on clients, elemental mods don't do damage on clients, that Kela de Thaym is invulnerable, and in a round-about way that Miasma costs 200 power. None if these things are true. This game has a lot of display glitches, but that doesn't mean that functionality is broken, only numerical receipt of said functionality.

Ah you see, it doesn't deny XP at all. It simply doesn't show the number visually. Everyone still gets full XP when enemies kill each other. Granted, assuming that no number means no effect is a very common mistake to make, but that would also mean the Hek does almost no damage on clients, elemental mods don't do damage on clients, that Kela de Thaym is invulnerable, and in a round-about way that Miasma costs 200 power. None if these things are true. This game has a lot of display glitches, but that doesn't mean that functionality is broken, only numerical receipt of said functionality.

You repeated the same thing you said before for no reason. My second sentence is directly related to "No, it in and of itself does not deny XP. In fact chaos grants full XP. Enemies killing each other is what denies said XP, though only visually." If your statement, the one wherein you still get exp for enemies killing each other, holds true, then my sentence is meaningless. Otherwise, it's a refutation of "Chaos doesn't cause exp loss, enemies killing each other does." Edited by Kyrkitao

",though only visually".

Its right there in the text you quoted.

Edited for clarification.

Also, did some testing and it supports the notion that Chaos'd enemies killing each other does indeed still grant exp. Frame exp (meh), but exp nonetheless.

He asked you to not use Chaos because it makes Kappa and other mobile defences worse.

People do those missions to get xp, and when the enemies see your chaos mobs, they go into "cover" mode and stay there. This leads to them not running to the terminal, meaning people get less xp.

If you don't use chaos, the enemies run to you, give xp and everyone is happy.

Chaos is a great skills, but please don't use it in mobile defence unless the terminal is getting hit. Endless defence, spam it away.

Edited by CeePee

Jess :)

No wai!

Also yes, people should explain themselves more in general in games because it just...helps. If you must scream at someone, let them know why you are screaming. Preferably while screaming.

EDIT: derp

Edited by Dogdude84

Really?

Yes, but it's not much healing. The pod actually regens faster than they heal.

As to the argumemt that chaos makes grineer hide. In my experience they do that anyway. It does, however, cause them to stop advancing on the pod and fight eachother instead.

He asked you to not use Chaos because it makes Kappa and other mobile defences worse.

People do those missions to get xp, and when the enemies see your chaos mobs, they go into "cover" mode and stay there. This leads to them not running to the terminal, meaning people get less xp.

If you don't use chaos, the enemies run to you, give xp and everyone is happy.

Chaos is a great skills, but please don't use it in mobile defence unless the terminal is getting hit. Endless defence, spam it awayAg

Again, we can debate endlessly which powers to use and not use and why, but that is not the reason for this post. To stay on topic should be a power I can use.

I truly am starting to hate a certain frame, but I never would go around telling players how and when to use that frames powers. If you choose to play with others you have to deal with others, this post was started to hopefully share ways to get your point across to others so that maybe in these missions we choose to group with others we may be able to enjoy ourselves, and if we feel we NEED to ask someone to alter their way of doing things we have the tools to address the issue without coming across like a pushy person, and maybe let the other person understand why we said anything in the first place.

P.S. it is defense