The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stance System [rework]

Nazrethim

Tittle.

Stances as mods would be removed, the stance slot replaced by two buttons (similar to the Ayatan button on Mods segment). Those buttons would be:

Select Combos:

Select the combos you have learned, only one of each type (RMB, pause, hold, forward).

Learn new combos:

Opens a menu similar to the Focus tree. You start in the "root" that does nothing and from there 4 branches spread out. One for each type of combo. Each "node" unlocks a combo, each node can be upgraded further to grant the combo better damage multipliers. For example, a Heavy Blade would first unlock the 'pause' combo of Rending Crane stance, then unlock the pause combo of Cleaving Whirlwind and then Tempo Royale. All combos would start with the same multipliers of 50% for 'pause' and 'hold' and 25% for 'RMB'.

Each melee weapon type would have it's own tree, which is leveled up by killing with the melee weapon (equipping it increasing affinity gains). Killing with a Skana for example, would unlock Sword combos, which can then be used if the player equips another sword.

Additionally, Teshin would offer a daily/weekly Sword Alone Challenge, where he test your mastery of a given melee weapon (you go into a simulacrum style mission with only your currently equipped melee weapon and your powers locked, so you have to rely on your melee) which will award a lot of affinity for that specific weapon type.

The combos would have a set cost and more advanced combos down the tree would cost a lot of weapon afinity. Combos learned can be chosen individually, one of each type, so the player will be able to customize his/her melee style.

Thoughts? Ideas?.

A while back there was talks of learning/increasing combos by actually using them in combat.  I've always been waiting for it. I definitely think the whole stance/combos could use some loving. Not necessarily a complete overhaul, but some changes and additions for sure.  I definitely think a tree style upgrading system,  where you could individualize to your own liking would be nice. It would be nice to actually increase your melee abilties by using them more in mission, rather than just using endo to unlock it. It sorta like  everyone levels a stance more so for the mod points. It unlocking more combos is sorta just a bonus and it pretty much causes people to pay less attention, and overlook combos in generally. If there was more interaction with combos in general would be nice.

When i first started, i kinda figured they were gonna have different mods that you would use to essentially make your own combo. For example, you have 8 (or however many, unlocking more as you level up) mod slots, then you could use different mods to make the order of moves performed in a combo. Having mods for different types of slashes, stabs, kicks/punches, spins, and so on. These mods would have base damage then synergize or give additional bonuses depending on the order you put them in. 

Anyways, I like the concept

Has my Tenno stamp of approval

Edited by CCamp88

While stance 2.0 would be nice I don't think it's necessary. It could be solved by simply adding combos to bad stances (yes, I'm looking at you, Shimmering Blight, and yes, you too, Iron Phoenix) and make them all use same polarity

3 hours ago, Slaviar said:

While stance 2.0 would be nice I don't think it's necessary. It could be solved by simply adding combos to bad stances (yes, I'm looking at you, Shimmering Blight, and yes, you too, Iron Phoenix) and make them all use same polarity

I think the difference in polarity is to imply that certain weapons within a type have certain properties. Like Swirling Tigers is more for axes/ sickles where Crossing Turds is for actual swords.

5 minutes ago, Rehtael7 said:

I think the difference in polarity is to imply that certain weapons within a type have certain properties. Like Swirling Tigers is more for axes/ sickles where Crossing Turds is for actual swords.

I don't think so. Many dual swords use Swirling Tiger